• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS announcements at Comic Con?

Raw Shark

Regular
Does anyone have any info on the announcements JMS said he would make at Comic Con? I've been looking around, but the sites I've checked so far only have some comments on the Wonder Woman costume, and a bit about World War Z. Are there websites I should be checking instead? Or maybe his announcements haven't been made yet.

Raw Shark

“A man is generally what he feels himself to be.”
Cpl. Steiner, Cross of Iron

During my google search, an item came up: 'Crusade May Finally See It's End,' from 2001. Man, what a tease. Damn you google!

Raw Shark

"We were promised, when I was growing up, this war with Russia. We were promised World War III."
John Milius

I got the impression that JMS expected to be able to make some announcements but didn't get clearance to do so.

The spotlight panel was really great, though! Given the mixed reaction to the WW 600 preview, JMS tried to persuade DC to give out WW 601 comics to all the panel attendees. DC declined. So instead, JMS arranged with Pat Tallman to bring 4 (very talented) voice actors and he and the "Wonder Woman 601 Players" did a staged reading of the issue while the pages were displayed on the big screen.

I won't spoil it but it was a great way to experience the comic and a great issue.

Pretty much everything else has been touched on in various reports.

Jan

A reporter from a brazilian website interviewed Bruce Boxleitner at the Comic-Con about TronLegacy, on july 24, and he told that he had spoke with JMS the day earlier, and that JMS told him that he already has an idea for a new B5 movie. I will translate what was posted on the site:

"I (BB) spoke with J. Michael Stracynzki and he mentioned an idea for a new B5 movie. I thought that the concept is very interesting and it would be fantastic to contribute again to the B5 universe."

On another site, quoting the same interview:

"We spoke about this yesterday and a new movie is finally going to happen. It would be great to work again in this franchise."

I don't know what where the exact words said by Bruce, because I'm translating something that was translated to portuguese in first place, but still I thought I should share this.

The links to the sites where I found this (portuguese):

http://cinema.terra.com.br/comiccon...rsa+com+atores+e+equipe+de+Tron+o+Legado.html

http://www.soshollywood.com.br/babylon-5-pode-ganhar-novo-filme/

Thanks Marcelo.

Of course we need to take it with a grain of salt, if JMS isn't talking about it publicly yet, he's only feeling out actors on a young (and not fully matured) project.

Still something to watch for

<must avoid getting hyped and building expectations up before a solid deal is announced>

Last edited:
JMS did say at the Orange County Screenwriter's Association appearance that he has an idea for a feature film and that it might be a good time to have one come out in 2013 since that's the 20th (!) anniversary of B5. The last time he spoke to WB about a film, he told them that he'd need a budget of $100 million and they didn't flinch.

He's tentatively scheduled for an appearance at FanExpo Toronto at the end of next month. Perhaps we'll hear more then.

Jan

I suspect that JMS is keeping his cards very close to his chest this time in regards to a possible B5 movie. I know he likes to interact with his fans, but maybe he's decided that rather than potentially risk upsetting the fan community (not in a bad way obviously) he wont announce anything concrete in regards to B5 the movie until everything is finalised.

Hint... Come on WB you know it makes sense... :)

Plus he's just so busy. I couldnt cope with the same workload he does. Its a wonder he's not gone mad.

Or has he?

Interesting seeing BB comment

"I (BB) spoke with J. Michael Stracynzki and he mentioned an idea for a new B5 movie. I thought that the concept is very interesting and it would be fantastic to contribute again to the B5 universe."

There are so many unexplored areas of the B5 universe you could make a whole movie series (oh how I wish). I for one still dream of going into a cinema and seeing B5 herself appear in full glorious hi definition widescreen goodness. I hope it happens, but my hopes have been dashed before.

!

I for one still dream of going into a cinema and seeing B5 herself appear in full glorious hi definition widescreen goodness.

I've had that same dream since JMS unveiled the opening sequence of the Lost Tales on a big screen in New York one year. Lovely!

Jan

Any B5 universe news, ....at all?

Sorry, Mac, there wasn't a single B5 question at all. Several people referenced it, but nobody asked about it.

Jan

Oh well, people have probably given up on it/lost hope *AND* it was last on TV sooo long ago that a lot of the fans might have come along after B5 ended and don't know much about it, or think it's too old to bother watching, or are turned off by the primitive (to their eyes) CGI. It's understandable. Heck, I left rastb5m a little over three months ago (deleted the newsgroup from my OE subscriptions and reclaimed the HD space.), and hardly spend any time here or on jmsnews anymore (probably 1 min./day each, peeking in to see if there' *any* B5 or Crusade news at all.). I keep drifting further and further away from it.

I'd have been damned disappointed if I'd managed to make it to SDCC for once, and there was zero B5 news. Seems like B5 isn't even back-burner at Warner Brothers; it's not even on the stove. (I have less faith in Warner Brothers and related rumors than I have in FOX Network.) Luckily though, there would've been other things to see there, e.g. The Big Bang Theory, Castle, Supernatural, Human Target, etc.

Last edited:
A reporter from a brazilian website interviewed Bruce Boxleitner at the Comic-Con about TronLegacy, on july 24, and he told that he had spoke with JMS the day earlier, and that JMS told him that he already has an idea for a new B5 movie. I will translate what was posted on the site:

On another site, quoting the same interview:

"We spoke about this yesterday and a new movie is finally going to happen. It would be great to work again in this franchise."

I don't know what where the exact words said by Bruce, because I'm translating something that was translated to portuguese in first place, but still I thought I should share this.

The links to the sites where I found this (portuguese):

http://cinema.terra.com.br/comiccon...rsa+com+atores+e+equipe+de+Tron+o+Legado.html

http://www.soshollywood.com.br/babylon-5-pode-ganhar-novo-filme/

JMS posted this on the Fans of JMS Facebook page:
We did have that conversation, and it's something we've talked about internally as a way to commemorate the 20th anniversary of B5. More than that I can't say at the moment.

Jan

Last edited:
I am Adrian Kane. Thanks to Marcelo for the translation.

The fact that this is planned for the 20th anniversary has got me thinking that it could be some kind of retrospective documentary, rather than a new story within the B5 universe. I hope I am wrong, as I am dying to see some form of continuation of the Crusade story (something along the lines of the ill-fated The Memory of Shadows project).

The fact that this is planned for the 20th anniversary has got me thinking that it could be some kind of retrospective documentary, rather than a new story within the B5 universe. I hope I am wrong, as I am dying to see some form of continuation of the Crusade story (something along the lines of the ill-fated The Memory of Shadows project).

While I can certainly see something of the sort happening, and JMS participating, that wouldn't match with what he said at the OC Screenwriter's event.

Remember, JMS owns the movie rights to B5 so that's really the only thing that he can plan independent of WB.

Jan

Interesting news, I'm not surprised that JMS is still trying to get a movie going, but we'll see if anything comes of it. I think B5 is somewhere between finished for good, and still having a few more chapters in it (And several years off from remake/reboot territory).

As far as Bruce goes, he has always been on board for anything B5, so it's no surprise that he would be involved with any new B5 content.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back