• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sci Fi Wire has new JMS/ B5LR Article

A brief but intriguing conversation with JMS about the Rangers:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming SCI FI Channel original movie Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers represented an opportunity to delve further into the mysterious Rangers, the fighting force first introduced on B5. "I wanted to explore their history, their tradition, their philosophy," Straczynski said in an interview. "We've never done a show about an organization that's in essence a bunch of warrior priests, and particularly one about a group of alien priests."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rest of the short article can be read at JMS: Rangers Extends B5

I thought his comments about "standard action without consequence" in the article were particularly striking given what's happened over at Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda.

Also, it mentions that the movie is a pilot for a possible series.
smile.gif

Here's hoping...

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

[This message has been edited by Technomage Roanna (edited November 30, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> "That dynamic was of interest to me, because it takes you out of the standard action without consequence, action without context and lets you play in a much deeper pond," Straczynski said. "They're trained in the philosophy of the Minbari and the Rangers, which is all about responsibility. It's about asking questions. It's almost a Zen-like approach to storytelling and characterization. They look at the larger questions. How does this fit into the universe? What is their role in things? What's their obligation to each other? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*grins widely*

Larger questions. Deep characterization. Consequences. Dilemmas that deal with more than just where to fire the next volley.

Now THAT is science fiction, folks.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

I couldn't agree with you more Channe. I've just finished reading the interview and I have to say it gave me goose bumps. Ever since the first time I met Joe, he truly inspired me not only with his words but his actions.

He is a man of great integrity and I'm so honored to be working for him. When he describes Rangers: their obligation to each other, their responsibility and courage, I can't wait to get back to work.

Speak to you soon, Myriam.
smile.gif

------------------

Myriam -

In what other profession would you get fifty or more people crossing their fingers in the hopes that you go back to work?
smile.gif

The movie might not be perfect - it's a pilot, after all - but if what I'm hearing from numerous sources is true...

...we're in for some truly good televised SF.

And may I say - it's about frelling time. I'm starving for real characters, itching for consequences, knowing that in *real* life there are ISSUES surrounding that order to fire on the enemy, knowing that the story doesn't stop with simple tactics and the residue of explosions. I hope that's what Rangers gives us. And - if it doesn't b/c of the two-hour time limit, I hope that it'll move to series. So we can explore those issues.

JMS did it before, and he certainly can do it again.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

No other profession I can think of. It really is a great feeling to have all of you supporting the cast and of course JMS in this way.

Oh, and I meant to tell you in my last post that I'm sorry you had to miss the chat with Dylan. I hope you can make the next one. It was my first time participating in a live chat believe it or not and I thought it went great.

Good question by the way.

smile.gif
Myriam.

------------------

Myriam -

Thanks.
smile.gif
I've always been interested in that question, so I ask it whenever I have the chance. Let me reprint something I sent to one of my actors that was playing a hero-character -

"There's no such thing as a "great hero" - just a regular person with great potential thrust into a situation where that person must take on a great responsibility, move beyond their normal limited self, and become transfigured - if only for a moment. You're that guy. Have fun."

So, I'm really glad it was answered. If I don't have a final the next day, you can be sure I'll be at the next chat. And, of course, if I can scrounge up the funds to pay my 'net bill. *joking grin*

------------------

[This message has been edited by channe (edited November 30, 2001).]

I've always liked the rangers, so the movie is something I am really looking forward to. I think the rangers would be great characters for a weekly series, so I truly hope we get the chance to see them in one.

Can't wait for the movie!

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Latest posts

Members online