• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The new Dr Who - Season 1

Boxie

Regular
BBC America will begin airing the first season of the new Dr Who tonight. This is a really :cool: cool show, and a chance to see it from its new beginning if you missed it when it ran on the SciFi Channel.

If you haven't seen it, don't go by the first episode, or even the first two... :D but after that HANG ON! I personally liked the first two, but understand that some may not. Just don't give up on it... :D it's sooo good!

I think one of the greatest surprises for me in the first series was "Father's Day". When I saw the trailer, it looked a little cheesy... but I am glad I stuck with the episode as it is arguably the best in the first series and definitely a personal favourite. It certainly won a few gongs.

Actually, they began a week ago, with "Rose." Tonight is the second ep.

I realized that when I saw the episode they aired last night! I just gotta watch more television, so I can catch more previews, :D so I'll know what's on when!

I think one of the greatest surprises for me in the first series was "Father's Day". When I saw the trailer, it looked a little cheesy... but I am glad I stuck with the episode as it is arguably the best in the first series and definitely a personal favourite. It certainly won a few gongs.

I think they made it look cheesy on purpose ;)

I think they made it look cheesy on purpose ;)

I don't remember the trailer, so I can't comment on the "cheese factor", but I loved the episode! :D It's one of my favorites of the first season!

Not a comment about season 2 of Dr Who now that it just finished its run in the states?

And am I the only one who now thinks "hmm, the Doctor" when Barty Crouch Jr. is shown in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"?

Not a comment about season 2 of Dr Who now that it just finished its run in the states?

And am I the only one who now thinks "hmm, the Doctor" when Barty Crouch Jr. is shown in "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"?

I liked season two, and enjoyed the last two eps. When the Dr. got cut off before he could tell Rose he loves her, I was sure that meant that they would get back together some way. But then... a new companion? In a wedding dress? And she looks like Romana?

Cybermen versus Daleks! Wonderful!

She's not the new companion for series 3. That's Catherine "Am I bovvered" Tate, a talented comedy writer/actress who has her own show on the Beeb. She plays a one off character called Donna who is mysteriously transported to the TARDIS on the way to her wedding.

The special was done really well, there was a lot of emotion in it and the door is left open for Ms Tate to make the odd appearance.

I REALLY enjoyed the TARDIS car chase sequence.

Freema Agyeman will be playing the new companion... you may remember her playing a techy killed by the cybermen in the series finale. The new character she plays is a different person who may have a connection to the earlier character.

you can read about her here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freema_Agyeman

She looks like she can keep up with the Dr.'s pace. :)

I'm curious, I've seen bits of the first doctor's stuff, as much as is available on the second, third, forth, fifth. My watching got spotty after the Peter Davidson episodes.

But in all of Dr. Who's history, have they ever had a black companion before this current incarnation of the show?

Only minor spoilers ahead ...

The Christmas special was, at the same time, the worst thing new Who has done till now and the best thing new Who has done.

The story was absolute rubbish. I mean *really*, what was RTD smoking when writing that stuff? (... I believe Markas might know the answer to that one ;) ) And get a grip on yourself with the sonic screwdriver already, people!

On the other hand .. the charaterisations were great. The dialogue was often great. Catherine Tate was great, Donna's treatment of the Doctor was great .. and it was actually funny. Something RTD doesn't always manage to do when planning to.

So, there was a season two Christmas Special? I haven't seen that... Have I somehow missed it on the Sci Fi Channel, or is it upcoming? Help! I don't want to miss anything!

So, there was a season two Christmas Special? I haven't seen that... Have I somehow missed it on the Sci Fi Channel, or is it upcoming? Help! I don't want to miss anything!
There was a Season Two Christmas Special (The Christmas Invasion), but I believe Chilli and Galahad are talking about the Season 3 Christmas Special... I'm fairly sure it's officially part of Season Three and not Two, anyway. And it aired in the UK last night, so I doubt it's had a chance to make it to the US TV screens yet.

And I rather enjoyed it - a totally pointless story, but that's excusable in a Christmas story. ;) And I so did enjoy Donna (Catherine Tate) - such a feisty, practical, adult woman. One that wasn't shy about keeping her opinions and reactions to herself. ;) It's a pity really she won't be the new companion, I'd have been looking forward to S3 a lot more if she was. :devil:

As it aired in the UK yesterday, it will be hard to get it with .. legal means :eek: .. anywhere but in the UK.

However, there was a Christmas special last year too .. I believe they just showed that with the normal airing progression - between seasons 1 and 2 - in the summer in the US.

I suspect this CHristmas special will come to US TVs sometime in a few months :D

Re: The new Dr Who - Season 2 *spoilers*

Only minor spoilers ahead ...

The Christmas special was, at the same time, the worst thing new Who has done till now and the best thing new Who has done.

The story was absolute rubbish. I mean *really*, what was RTD smoking when writing that stuff? (... I believe Markas might know the answer to that one ;) ) And get a grip on yourself with the sonic screwdriver already, people!

On the other hand .. the charaterisations were great. The dialogue was often great. Catherine Tate was great, Donna's treatment of the Doctor was great .. and it was actually funny. Something RTD doesn't always manage to do when planning to.

I'm going to have to watch it again, but yes, storywise, it wasn't as good as last year's and probably won't stand up to repeated viewing. I did enjoy it though.

I noticed that Torchwood Tower is still standing, so the Daleks and Cybermen didn't completely destroy it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back