• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The "Sci-Fi" Channel, Really???

Re: The \"Sci-Fi\" Channel, Really???

Speaking of Scifi, they are airing Passions right now , a soup opera. Though it is soup opera with sort of mysical/magic story elements.

JJ, WWE's new drug policy is just that -- new. They only initiated it about 6 months ago. So yes, they still have guys that look ridiculous because it hasn't been that long since the juice was in their systems.

They should drug test because steroid use has been a problem in the industry for over 20 years. Men are dying at the ages of 40-50 because of what the drugs do to their systems. Most recently, fan favorite Eddie Guerrero passed away, not from a drug overdose, but from lasting effects that doing those drugs earlier in his life had on his system. He had been clean, a born-again Christian, and sober for over four years. He died of heart failure while brushing his teeth. The steroids he'd done years ago had continued to have an adverse effect on his arteries and his heart itself, even though he had long since given them up. He was 38.

As much as it is a performance rather than a competition, wrestlers are athletes first, and performers second. They do what they do at least 4 nights out of the week (excluding PPV events), are on the road 250-300 days a year, make appearances, attend press conferences, perform charity functions, and still have to find time to train at the gym, eat, and get enough rest while nursing the bruises & aches they accumulate from doing their jobs. Addictions to painkillers have become a huge problem for some of them. In the past, this was a subject that was glossed over & not discussed openly. Today, finally, that's changed.

Sorry, this has all been rather off-topic, but I take advantage of every occasion to give people insight about the business. :p

Although wrestling is currently far too stupid for me, I do know that "real" fighters who've tried the wrestling biz have said that professional wrestling is about a thousand times more difficult and dangerous than any of the fighting they do in the octagon (speaking of UFC here).

I have noticed Sci Fi Channel's decline into all things not having to do with science fiction. Actually it started with cancelling the good sci fi and showing really shitty sci fi. SVU is a step up, imo, from the so bad it's not even funny crap they've been showing, even if it's not sci fi. Hell even TNA or WWE would be a step up. They just better not cancel Battlestar Galactica or someone with the last name of a tool is going to suffer.

My thought is that if they use some filler so they can make the good shows (or in BSG's case, what was good), so be it. BSG is high budget, critically acclaimed. But they might not be able to do that if they have to follow this strict rule that everything must be sci-fi.

But they might not be able to do that if they have to follow this strict rule that everything must be sci-fi.

Then they need to be changing their channel's name and stop pretending to be a niche channel that focuses on science fiction.

But they might not be able to do that if they have to follow this strict rule that everything must be sci-fi.

Then they need to be changing their channel's name and stop pretending to be a niche channel that focuses on science fiction.

I originally tried to post this this afternoon, but my German Shepherd Dog (Max) put a paw on the keyboard and erased my reply. Critics! :rolleyes:

Maybe the channel could have certain days for each genre:

Sunday - wrestling (if there must be wrestling) :p
Monday - crime dramas (any of 'em)
Tuesday - comedy
Wednesday - classic sci-fi series and movies (e.g. Twilight Zone, Forbidden Planet, etc.)
Thursday - westerns (any of 'em)
Friday - ~current sci-fi & fantasy (e.g. Brimstone, Ultraviolet, Red Dwarf, etc.)
Saturday - classic B-movies (not the crap they air now) & some newer ones (e.g. Eight Legged Freaks)

WWE just switched back to USA. They're not going anywhere. (And yes, I realize USA and Sci-Fi are sister stations.) NWA-TNA just got a new night on SpikeTV. They're not going anywhere either. If there were to be a wrestling program coming to SFC, it won't survive.

I think it's easier to chalk all this up to typo/scheduling error (which is far more likely).

No they don't. As long as they are primarily sci-fi, then they are fulfilling their remit. The sci-fi mags here are no better, covering shows like CSI.

The Biography Channel has Poirot, and Sherlock Holmes, among other fictional detective shows, so go figure... :rolleyes: :LOL:

I'll admit that I haven't read more than 2 posts in this thread, but I can only imagine it has turned into a "bitch about Sci-Fi" channel thread, with KoshN stirring the pot every 4-5 posts. (am I right?)

All I really have to say is this:

I remember a couple years ago when Bonnie Hammer announced that Sci-Fi channel would be getting away from traditional aliens and science fiction and going a different direction. Everyone on this site was furious. However, you should all be thankful that it never came to pass.

The bottom line about the Sci-Fi channel, is that while it may show a couple non-sci fi shows, is that it shows pount for pound more sci-fi than any other channel. There are 24 hours in a day, so having a few that aren't science ficiton isn't a big deal --- not when they give us things like Star Gate SG1, Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica. They have the BEST Sci-Fi lineup in decades on Friday IMO right now. And while those shows are in hiatus, Doctor Who has taken their place.

Stop your complaining and be thankful for what you have.

The sci-fi mags here are no better, covering shows like CSI.
That implies that you don't think that there is science-fiction in CSI.

There are space based SF shows that make up less fictional science than CSI does.

(One of my favorites was when their mathematical proof that a particular hypothesis invovlving sun glint/glare was not possible included the unstated implication that the Earth has no atmosphere. It's often the simple things that amuse me. :D )

I'll admit that I haven't read more than 2 posts in this thread, but I can only imagine it has turned into a "bitch about Sci-Fi" channel thread, with KoshN stirring the pot every 4-5 posts. (am I right?)

Oh, there's some joking going on as well.

All I really have to say is this:

I remember a couple years ago when Bonnie Hammer announced that Sci-Fi channel would be getting away from traditional aliens and science fiction and going a different direction. Everyone on this site was furious. However, you should all be thankful that it never came to pass.

Well, they're not about to cancel shows that are popular, even if those shows have traditional (non-human) aliens (SG-1 & SG Atlantis). However, new sci-fi shows (those not spinoffs of existing shows) seem to be following what Bonnie said (e.g. Firefly/Serenity, BSG, Taken), with only humans being shown (i.e. no non-human aliens).

The bottom line about the Sci-Fi channel, is that while it may show a couple non-sci fi shows, is that it shows pount for pound more sci-fi than any other channel. There are 24 hours in a day, so having a few that aren't science ficiton isn't a big deal --- not when they give us things like Star Gate SG1, Atlantis, and Battlestar Galactica. They have the BEST Sci-Fi lineup in decades on Friday IMO right now. And while those shows are in hiatus, Doctor Who has taken their place.

Stop your complaining and be thankful for what you have.

[rhetorical]So, when should we be concerned about the watering down of the channel, the 50% level (when 50% of the shows are non-sci-fi)?[/rhetorical]

The sci-fi mags here are no better, covering shows like CSI.
That implies that you don't think that there is science-fiction in CSI.

There are space based SF shows that make up less fictional science than CSI does.

(One of my favorites was when their mathematical proof that a particular hypothesis invovlving sun glint/glare was not possible included the unstated implication that the Earth has no atmosphere. It's often the simple things that amuse me. :D )

I liked how Grissom stated that the acceleration due to gravity was 9.8 meters/second (as opposed to 9.8 meters per second per second). :LOL:

I think that we should only REALLY be worried about Sci-Fi if it goes the route of, let's say, G4. It still has a decent amount of sci-fi, even if it's not always that good. G4 was once "television for gamers." Now, it's nothing more than a second rate Spike TV, and doesn't even really attempt to hide this fact.

... Something like that. I'm not even sure what my overall reason for typing this up was anymore. Yeah! Alright!!

Funny thing about G4 is that until about a week ago when I saw an add on USA for that network, previewing some Star Trek thing, I thought G4 was an Apple Computer System.

The "Sci-Fi" Channel Schedulebot - May 30th
07:00 PM WRESTLING EVENT TBD
09:00 PM WRESTLING EVENT TBD
I've recently learned that this is not quite a typo. World Wrestling Entertainment is bringing back the Extreme Championship Wrestling (ECW) brand that it acquired some years ago. Since WWE's home is on USA, the parent company obviously wanted to keep another WWE-branded show on one of its stations. Apparently they decided that ECW will receive a weekly TV slot on the Sci-Fi network. They've since replaced the above with three movies until the show premieres in June.

Sci-Fi, which is a sister-network to USA under the NBC Universal umbrella, is expected to issue a press release next week.

The show will reportedly debut in mid-to-late June.
Now personally, I think it's stupid to put a wrestling show on the Sci-Fi channel. Wrestling fans are gonna say "on the WHAT channel?" when they hear this news. But, after a short period of head-scratching, they will tune in.

I am one of them.

I doubt Sci-Fi will remain ECW's home for too long, but since it is starting up next month, it obviously doesn't fit into the normal seasonal schedule of shows all networks deal with. No wrestling programs do, since they don't have seasons.

ECW will fit in on Sci-Fi about as much as Rambo on the Lifetime Network, or Isaac Mizrahi on Spike TV, but I gotta admit, I will enjoy it more than watching the latest $2-million-dollar-budget turd they decide to polish the hell out of...

When I first read about this (this being the placement of ECW on Sci-Fi as the soon-to-be-aired "wrestling event TBD," not so much the original announcement of wrestling on Sci-Fi)... well, it seemed confusing. Of course, I don't mind. As long as this and that SVU thing aren't signs of an imminent erosion of Sci-Fi's mostly sci-fi nature, it's all good.

But all that aside, I'm looking forward to this. Quite a lot. It's some of the first stuff that's really had me excited about wrestling for a year or so.

But all that aside, I'm looking forward to this. Quite a lot. It's some of the first stuff that's really had me excited about wrestling for a year or so.
I'm a huge Kane mark... so the past couple months have been just great for me. :) I hope it all culminates in the return of the mask!

The whole "inner voices manifesting in a fashion that allows everyone else to experience it" thing is a bit dumb to me, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how it works out in the end.

Also, I've become attached to the date May 19. MAY 19.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back