• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Gerry Doyle Interview

I wonder why Mr. Doyle is obsessing so much over this. It was a great 5 season run. It's just awful there couldn't have been more of it.
Oh well. Such is life. One moves on now. :rolleyes:

And maybe I just don't know the nature of the business, but it almost sounds as if he's been trying to take B5 away from JMS. I'm not saying JMS would have to write or even be part of a new B5-universe production. But I'd hope he'd have to be in the loop somewhere, as JMS said.

I think I'm beginning to see why he's enjoying writing graphic novels and such now. Fewer costs, fewer hassles, and fewer people to deal with.

I agree completely, hypatia. Sorry to say this about the guy, but he is acting like a jerk, and is loosing my respect as a fan. Babylon 5 and its characters belong to JMS, and he has worked all his life to create a novel for tv, something he could finish so he could be remembered for many years.

I don´t know what authority Jerry Doyle thinks he has to try and play with JMS´ legacy. not that i think he will succeed, but its tremendously disrespectful to the person who is responsible that he had five years of fun.

Putting aside the fact that the show would probably suck by its 7th season, since all the threads were tied nicely in season four and five, and they would have to bring new things in unrelated to the groundwork of s1 and 2.

If he wants to push for something, push for a movie, not for more seasons.

I'm not really upset with Jerry. I have had plenty of times in my life when I wished I could go back to a time in my life that I enjoyed, so I understand how he feels. That said, I do feel that Doyle should push for a movie or miniseries instead of a series. With the way JMS has things set up, a series wouldn't work. At the end of B5, everyone has gone off to do their own thing. Doyle should push for the Telepath War story. JMS has deliberately held that story back, but I think it's time for us to finally see it.

Tammy

gkarfan,

That's the sentiment i get from a lot of people. It seems everyone wants to see the telepath war! Count me in as well. And actually make it good like In the Beginning not like the other tv movie episodes.

Re: Update!!!!

Alas, but reading the above, it appears that JD did cross some lines -- overreacting in unreasonable manner to a truthful, even if inconvenient statement/correction. Luckily it appears that JMS had a better reserve of patience.

JMS is the man. He manages to stay cool and civil when someone who owes him so much insults him like that.

Forget the Telepath War, check out the war between jms and JD!!!

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/436/436980p1.html

By contract, if it doesn't happen with me, it doesn't happen.
jms

I'm glad about that. Doyle is acting like a f***ing idiot.

Man... This morning started out so wonderful with reading Jerry's interview... And ended so catastrophically.

I don't get Jerry... The way he unleashed like that really was inappropriate.

I'm just glad JMS responded mildly and didn't take a shot back at Jerry... That would be all too childish...

But guyz, please, enough with the "Jerry's a jerk! Go Joe!" bullshit...
As JMS said, we all love the show, JMS loves the show, Jerry loves the show, and we all miss it... Doyle's intentions are pure, I'm sure he's not trying to "grab the show aweay from JMS" or "earn some more bucks" or something like that. Especially not after reading how he misses to good old times he had with the cast.
I don't get why he had to attack JMS like that, but I'm sure seeing JMS' response, being overall very positive and saying he'd basically love to do that if there was a proper plan (WHICH Doyle admitted not to have one yet) - He'd calm down, say he's sorry, and move on with this plan.

I just hope Doyle appoolgizes or something... Really, he talks so much about how everyone's a family there, and I know every family has its disputes, but this is where it has to end.
Things have been said... Heck with it.
They gotta start working together now.

about actually continuing the show

I gotta say I'm seeing this pretty damn ambivalently...

On one side... B5 is like a second home for me. For all of us. The very thought of sitting in front of my TV and watching the first scene of the first episode of the 6th season of Babylon 5 fade in... I was imagining soft bell entrance by Chris Franke (like the ones in the ending of "Sleeping In Light" theme), and a fade in into John's quarters in B5, sleeping next to Delenn...
A feeling of "And So, It Begins. Again".

No doubt that would be amazing.

on the other hand

Remember "Saved By The Bell - The College Years"?

'nuff said.

I dunno.
I think we should all ask ourselves - do we really want Babylon 5 back for new episodes, or do we just wanna get back to the good old times when we had it?

Remember "Saved By The Bell - The College Years"?

No I don't.

And neither does any sane human being. ;)

Oh, wait, I didn't mean "The College Years", I meant the show that came after that... "The New Class"... With 99% of the cast changed...

It's always a problem with shows doing comebacks. You don't want it to look forced and farfetched...
On any other show I'd say it's a BAD idea.
But here... I'm counting on JMS not to do it unless it really looks good and appropriate.

Which brings us to what someone here said earlier... About how continuing B5 should be plot-motivated and not actors-wanna-reunite motivated...
Well, he had a point there, obviously we want this to be mainly about the plot.

Then again, hearing how the actors and the craetor still have the desire to do the show, still have affection towards each other, and feel the hunger, as Doyle stated it, to play their charachters...
Needless to say it would help a lot for the show to continue in a good way.
When there's a good vibe on the set, you feel it when u watch the show. And it helps the WRITING process as well.

So I don't think the fact the actors wanna get back together means bad news for how the show would come up... On the contrary.

But of course it can't JUST be it.

I think JMS should sit down for a few months or decades or centuries or whatever its gonna take, and write another 5 years arc.
Only when its ready, only when he feels he's written it all the way it should be just as he did with the first 5 seasons... Only THEN can they start working on redoing the show.
Only then would it be acceptable in my eyes and in most people's eyes, and won't seem like a pathetic attempt to make a comeback.
It shouldn't be something made off-hand... It's gotta be plot-first. But th fact those people are eager to comeback... That oughta give some real boost for JMS to continue the story.
And needless to say, there's a LOT more to add to the story. Only the Telepath war is enough for 2-3 seasons...

I think JMS should sit down for a few months or decades or centuries or whatever its gonna take, and write another 5 years arc.
Only when its ready, only when he feels he's written it all the way it should be just as he did with the first 5 seasons... Only THEN can they start working on redoing the show.
Only then would it be acceptable in my eyes and in most people's eyes, and won't seem like a pathetic attempt to make a comeback.
It shouldn't be something made off-hand... It's gotta be plot-first. But th fact those people are eager to comeback... That oughta give some real boost for JMS to continue the story.
And needless to say, there's a LOT more to add to the story. Only the Telepath war is enough for 2-3 seasons...

But the simple fact is, it will only happen if the studio wants it to happen (or it can be persuaded that it is a good idea).

At the moment, it sounds like they are making a tidy profit on the show, DVDs and whatever ... with two seasons still to be released, followed (probably) by the TV movies, Crusade and perhaps even "To Live and Die in Starlight".

All without making any significant addition to the investment they made in the show in the first place. Any revival would require them to put their hands in their pockets and make another significant investment. After all, even the original "low budget" B5 came in at, what, over $11,000,000 per season to make.

The climate for TVSF has changed in the last 10 years (due in no small part to the original B5), and where the original was ground-breaking in many ways (first to make extensive use of CGI, ongoing multi-year story arcs, defined beginning, middle and end and so on) many shows have now picked up those things so they have become the stock in trade of the current generation of SF shows.

If B5 were to be revived without some new ground-breaking aspects, I fear it would be interpreted as JMS/Warners jumping back onto their own bandwagon to make some money - especially bearing in mind that JMS said (on more than one occasion) during B5's initial run that once the 5 year story was complete he was getting out of TV for good.

Any revival will have to add something fundamentally new to the mix, otherwise it would not be worth doing, and would perhaps even cheapen the memory of what truly was a genre defining experience.

Just my $0.02

:)

I, personally, don't want to see "Babylon 5, season 6". I want too se a new series based IN B5 universe. Something like Crusade. Because... well... the main story has been told, and that's it. I mean, telepath war would be nice etc. etc. but not season 6, or not "Babylon 5 - The second beginning". Something new and original in the same world. That's my point of view.

I don't wanna piss off anyone, but I doubt another B5-related show with a 5-year arc will come out again (which doesn't mean I'd mind being proven wrong :D). I think the best bet would be to do a mini-series to finish off the telepath war and the Crusade story-arc. However, I also think a mini-series is hopeful thinking, so if even that can't happen, at least give us the story in books or even by graphic novels, which I think would be the next best thing. :)

I honestly don't want any more original B5. That happened. It was great. But now it's over. I can't think of one decent storyline, besides the Telepath War, that would bring all the characters together and not be contrived, ugly, and disgustingly bad.

At this point, Crusade will NEVER get finished (get over it, people) and neither will Rangers (if you think anyone's gonna make an effort to revive it after its miserable January showing, you're out of your mind).

All of the above makes life difficult for fandom. But there's always my ongoing fanfic.

(Oooh... sorry... what I actually meant to say was...)

All of the above makes life difficult for fandom. But, in the end, it was just a TV show. It was an excellent TV show, yes, excellent enough that I've been talking about for three years running, but it was just a TV show.

And everybody knows that the sequel has to be planned in advance of the original to be any good, anyway...

GaribaldisHair - The first season, according to Doyle's interview, cost 22,000,000$ to make, not 11.

channe - I liked the way you said " At this point, Crusade will NEVER get finished"... A bit contradicting yourself, aren't you? :D

Look, no one is talking about bringing back crusade or Rangers (Still haven't seen TLADIS btw :eek:), and it doesn't even have to be "B5 - The Next Generation".
And I also understand completely what GaribaldisHair said about the danger of cheapning the memory of B5...
But on the other hand, the main difference is that MANY people hated the idea of Crusade and Rangers on the start, even B5 fans. They felt like it's hurting the show, like it's an attempt to bring something new to what they knew and loved, with new charachters that weren't very loveable simply because people missed the old thing...

It's like if you had a cat named Fluffy, who had the unfortunate mishap with an unkind Semi-Trailer, and your mom and dad brought you a fish in a bowl instead.

Obviously, that fish would be unsatisfying, and you'd turn all your grieve over dear old flattened Fluffy into hate and random rage attacks towards the small little fish, even though it never really did anything bad to ya, and, in fact, was a pretty damn good fish.

um
MY POINT IS
That if the producers were to bring back the old and familiar B5, to continue and tell its story (and there's a LOT to tell as I've said already - Telepath War, Crusade's voyage, David Sheridan, G'kar and Lyta and the "Telephatizing" of the Narn race and probably a lot more side-stories I forgot all about - oooo don't forget Zack's mysterious injury on SIL) - with the old known places such as B5, Minbar, Centaury palace, and the good old charachters we all knew - the fans would definitely love it.

It would be like having good old Fluffy back!

Bring back Fluffy!

That's it I'm done :D.

GaribaldisHair - The first season, according to Doyle's interview, cost 22,000,000$ to make, not 11.

Even JMS has said repeatedly that B5 cost about a million an episode. ;)

It would be like having good old Fluffy back!

Bring back Fluffy!

Oh no ... I can just see the web sites now! :eek: :LOL:

Bring back Fluffy!

Oh no ... I can just see the web sites now! :eek: :LOL:

lol... now that's an idea! ;)

You know, Lyta, I've been thinking - why not use this website as a promoter for the idea of new B5? I mean, if the producers/actors wanan do it, and we want it to happen, the only problem, i assume, would be being financed by the big company...

I think I feel another "Save-Someting-B5-Related" petition coming...

And everybody knows that the sequel has to be planned in advance of the original to be any good, anyway...

JMS has the entire history of the B5 universe fairly well worked out up through Sheridan's death, and a sketchy outline well beyond that. Is this what you meant by planning?

I still favor Telepath War TV movie/miniseries. But I just had a wild and crazy idea. A miniseries, with each episode telling a different piece of the story? So we could find out why Zack's limping, or see Delenn's last quest that JMS keeps mentioning, or maybe a story about Vir after he becomes emperor... little things like that. I suppose production costs might deep-six such a show, but perhaps a short story collection. A book is not a movie or another show by any means, but books ain't bad....

You know, Lyta, I've been thinking - why not use this website as a promoter for the idea of new B5? I mean, if the producers/actors wanan do it, and we want it to happen, the only problem, i assume, would be being financed by the big company...

Well, for one thing ... this isn't my site. :p I would talk to AntonyF about that idea. He did put one up for Odyssey 5 so who knows. ;)

For another thing ... I am not a fan of "Save [insert TV show name]" web sites because generally, they don't have that much effect in the grand scheme of things. :(

KoshFan, I think your idea of a mini with a different B5 story told each night is pretty interesting. :)

Companies don't like things which need saving. They much prefer things which float without assistance. It is inherently conterproductive to approach a suit and request him/her to save an unprofitable venture.

It is much more productive to describe how, if differently managed, that venture could achieve both the content desired and benefit for its sponsor.

I just had a wild and crazy idea. A miniseries, with each episode telling a different piece of the story? So we could find out why Zack's limping, or see Delenn's last quest that JMS keeps mentioning, or maybe a story about Vir after he becomes emperor... little things like that. I suppose production costs might deep-six such a show, but perhaps a short story collection.

I agree with Lyta... This really sounds like a terrific idea... Why don't you try offering that to JMS?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back