• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Repackaged DVDs

Markas

His Majesty
I got a notification from Amazon that they are offering a repackaged B5 S2 that seems to have been released in 2009. I have not heard about that (or missed it in this forum if it was posted) so I was curious what it was all about.

I got a notification from Amazon that they are offering a repackaged B5 S2 that seems to have been released in 2009. I have not heard about that (or missed it in this forum if it was posted) so I was curious what it was all about.

I don't know anybody who's bought them yet, and haven't seen them on store shelves yet, but I doubt it's anything more than putting the discs into slim cases (like MGM did with Stargate SG-1.).* One good thing, it ought to mean that the discs are less likely to be loose and scratched when the package is first opened, and less likely to become damaged by the cases over time, especially during transport.

I doubt that the Amazon Aspect Ratio info. (1.33:1) is correct, because that'd mean that Warners realized that they screwed up by putting the pseudo-widescreen version (widescreen live action with 1.33:1 CGI & Composite CGI frames enlarged to span left to right which results in top & bottom cropping.) on the original DVDs. If it was true, it'd give us CGI without the artifacts, and properly composed Composite CGI (e.g. Delenn opening the soul spheres in "Soul Hunter" and Ivanova's Voice of the Resistance test frams not cutting Clark's head off.). In other words, it'd look like B5 looked all those years when it was broadcast before the Sci-Fi Channel got their mitts on it.

* I transferred all of my B5 DVDs to 6-DVD Slimcases (5-DVD for the movie set) ages ago.

I already have seasons 2-5 in the new slim cases Markas. They have been available at the local Sam's Club here in El Paso, Texas for a couple months now. They are priced at $ 19.99 each. So a big savings over Amazon. The only thing new is that on the backside of the cover they have included a pic of the ships from B5 and the booklets are included as well.

KoshN is correct in saying everything else is the same as far as quality. Still just as bad as the previous boxsets which was dissapointing. It looks like this is the best we can hope for B5 when it comes to Warner Brothers.

Hmm, Markas mentions Season 2, and you mention 2 thru 5. Didn't they come out with Season 1 in slimline?

Also, just curious, are they in a single 6-disc multicase, or three 2-disc slimline cases?

Hmm, Markas mentions Season 2, and you mention 2 thru 5. Didn't they come out with Season 1 in slimline?

Also, just curious, are they in a single 6-disc multicase, or three 2-disc slimline cases?

Season 1 is also available KoshN. I will probably get that set tomorrow. I just waited on buying season 1 as it is my least favorite. And it is the single 6 disc multicase, which I like much better than what we had with the firefly set.

Thanks for the info. I have all of the sets as released so I won't be replacing mine. I don't buy a lot of DVDs so I have no worries about storage yet.

Season 1 is also available KoshN. I will probably get that set tomorrow. I just waited on buying season 1 as it is my least favorite. And it is the single 6 disc multicase, which I like much better than what we had with the firefly set.

Both the single 6 disc multicase packaging and the Firefly (1 disc/slimcase) packaging are far, far superior to the original B5 Season Set and Movie Set packaging.

Thanks for the info. I have all of the sets as released so I won't be replacing mine. I don't buy a lot of DVDs so I have no worries about storage yet.

Don't transport your B5 Season Sets and Movie Set in the original packaging. :eek: That's asking for trouble. Instead use these:

http://www.sleevetown.com/dvd-case.shtml

http://www.sleevetown.com/dvd-case-multi.shtml
Nexpak VERSApak 6 Disc DVD Case - for the B5 Season Sets
Nexpak VERSApak 5 Disc DVD Case - for the Movie Set.

I travel with my complete B5, Crusade and Brimstone DVD collections, and none of my discs have ever come loose or been scratched. Those cases work. :D The original B5 Season Set and Movie Set OEM cases are a nightmare.

p.s. Only my Crusade discs are in their original packaging, which holds the discs very well (maybe too well). I have my B5 Season Sets, Movie Set, and my Brimstone homemade discs in Nexpak VERSApaks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation on sleeve replacements, KoshN. I haven't transported my sets for some time as I haven't loaned them out for ages. I have cracked season 1 open as the spouse has...after 15 years of browbeating...agreed to start watching the series. :)

Thanks for the recommendation on sleeve replacements, KoshN. I haven't transported my sets for some time as I haven't loaned them out for ages.

I wouldn't transport the B5 DVDs in the original OEM packaging unless I put a piece of 1/2"~3/4" wide masking tape across each hub and about 1/2" onto the discs themselves, to ensure they didn't pop off of the hubs and get scratched in transit. Then I'd take the tape off when I got where I was going, and put the sets up on a shelf, vertically, like a book. ;) Those friction-fit, hard plastic OEM hubs are horrible.

The softer plastic and better hubs of the cases I recommended are infinitely better than the original OEM packaging. So far, my sets have survived over 50,000 road miles without any mishaps. I have all of my B5 sets in a 14"wide x 7" deep x "10" tall L. L. Bean canvas and leather bag (which I used to use for my 35mm camera filters and monster SunPak Auto 522 flash). The bag's fallen off of the van seat to the floor, several times, landed upside-down, and nothing's ever come loose. :thumbsup:

I have cracked season 1 open as the spouse has...after 15 years of browbeating...agreed to start watching the series. :)

At last, success! :)

I often got a bit upset when new cases would come out. Like I have 4 boxes for Six Feet Under, then they bring out one superbox which looks really nice. I like order and want that.

But since I de-cased my entire DVD collection, it removes any such worries which is nice. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back