• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

News post: GVFX employee speaks Rangers quality

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">GVFX employee speaks Rangers quality</font>
<font size="3">Read some of his thoughts here at B5LR.com</font>

An employee of GVFX, the company which has created B5LR's special effects, gave B5LR.com his thoughts the telemovie's quality recently. Chris Wren, although not speaking on behalf of GVFX, offered his own views after the recent upset that was caused by some negative reviews and a delayed airdate.

Chris told B5LR.com that the delay in the airdate isn't due to concerns in the quality of the telemovie. "The production design by Steve Geagan is beautiful, the story and performances are excellent, and JMS isn't kidding when he says it's one of his best efforts so far in the B5 universe. If it is being pushed back, then that's a bummer because everyone who worked on it is very excited about it being seen. The folks at SCI FI are totally stoked about it as well. I'm sure they're just pushing it into a more advantageous slot.

"A lot of very talented people worked on the show—and also that it was an absolute pleasure working with JMS, Doug Netter, Mike Vejar and Steve Geagan."

For further reading, you can view comments by the effects supervisor in a previous news item, and the original news item that announced that GVFX were creating the effects for B5LR.

Well, I feel that GVFX's rendering of Minbar looks pretty good, so I have no doubt that I'll like the rest, too!
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

I honestly loved what little of FX I saw in the trailer. It looked very, very, good.

But then, for me, B5 was never about the special effects. It helps the story along, yeah - but that's what it was supposed to do. The people were center-stage, not the special effects.

And the people sound like they're pretty darn good, both on-camera and off.

Bring it on, January!

(We're now showing Rangers at Lycon '02.
smile.gif
)

------------------
In our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the grace of God.
-Aeschylus

Well I certainly can't wait to see it
smile.gif

------------------
"When it is time, come to this place, call our name, we will be here" -Walkers of Sigma957

So much of the news about the Ranger movie lately has seemed to be all negative. This is a welcome positive bit of information. It helps to keep my hopes for the movie and the chance for a series alive.
smile.gif

------------------
The Whitestar Salad Bar, the galaxy's best place for parties.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
I honestly loved what little of FX I saw in the trailer. It looked very, very, good.

But then, for me, B5 was never about the special effects. It helps the story along, yeah - but that's what it was supposed to do. The people were center-stage, not the special effects.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When people say they didn't like B5 because of it's cheesy effects, I can only roll my eyes.

While the effects on B5 aren't mindblowing, they are pretty good, and the depth of storytelling and characterization more than compensates for it.

(And personally, I never found the effects cheesy. Even first season, those dogfights between the raiders and Starfuries were incredible to watch.)

Admiral Dave

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> because of it's cheesy effects, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FUD.

If someone posts his opinion that the effects were "Cheezy" and then reads his own posts, he can then come in with a chorus of "everybody agrees" because All The People He Respects agree with him. <Fe>

Truth is irrelevant to a True Troll.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by admiraldave:
When people say they didn't like B5 because of it's cheesy effects, I can only roll my eyes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't say as I ever found the effects on B5 to be cheesy, but that could be because I was so involved in the story that I didn't notice. The worst ray/pulse gun effects were in the pilot, where the guns looked like paddles (like bad kids used to get whacked with in school) and the sound was that of a tennis ball being launched from a machine. But heck, that was in the pilot. By the time of the first ep. they were using PPGs.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Back