• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS talks B5LR telemovie filming

B5LR

Regular
<font size="+1">JMS talks B5LR telemovie filming</font>
<font size="3">Sci-Fi Channel "absolutely enchanted" with dailies</font>

JMS today made a post to the moderated newsgroup about the filming of the B5LR telemovie, offering plenty of interesting information. Here is the post:

<font color="#99cc99">Well, all of last week I was in Vancouver for the first week of shooting on the two-hour TV movie BABYLON 5: LEGEND OF THE RANGERS. (I'm back now for awhile.) It's been a terrific experience to date. The dailies look great. Mike Vejar is on board to direct, and is keeping the look and feel consistent with what we've done before, but at the same time (in collaboration with our new Director of Photography Henry Chan) is taking the look even a step further. The sets (courtesy of production designer Steve Gaeghan and his band of artistic types) look more detailed, more textured, more realistic than much of what we've done before on B5. (This is in no way to diminish what we did in B5 on sets, it's just a different approach.)

Andreas Katsulas showed up mid-week as G'Kar, and despite having been away from that makeup for three years, was instantly back in character starting with the first shot and straight on through.

The cast have proven themselves excellent. It's natural to take some time to find your character, and find the lines...but from the moment they landed on set, they had their lines letter perfect, and the chemistry is there between them. SFC has seen the dailies and they're absolutely enchanted with what's on film.

I wish I had colorful stories to tell, but we're talking here about a bunch of dedicated professionals who appreciate the legacy of B5 and are doing everything they can to make this next installment the best possible. (About the only negative thing to happen all week was my losing my California state ID midweek, which I'll have to go in to replace this week at my local DMV.) It's a very elaborate production, with everything from pyros to wire works and other stuff, in addition to the usual glut of CGI we tend to do, but so far it's all going quite well.

I've been taking digital pictures of the production which will soon be available on the SFC website...and there are some beauts there. I'll let you know when they're up.

In the interim...know that the show is going extremely well, and I think that people are going to like the cast a lot. They're good, well-trained, dedicated people.

I think it's going to go over very well indeed.</font>

In another post, which may be of interst, JMS also talked about how the music is organized.

<font color="#99cc99">Chris [Franke] and I sit down to spot the movie (meaning I call out the spots, minutes/seconds/frames) where I want the music to come in and go out. I give general directions, more in terms of the emotion of the scene or my intent than in musical terms because I don't speak that particular language with any facility. On rare occasions I'll say I want a particular instrument, or a particular sound. Usually it's left to Chris, who knows what I want better than I do sometimes.</font>

This is great news, especially the part about Sci Fi channel really liking the movie so far, means a series is more likely
smile.gif

Figured Andreas would fall back into G`ar mode easily, the man is a great actor, and G`Kar was a great character
smile.gif

Good to hear JMS thinks the new actors are all getting into it, might mean this can be a group we can all love and adore the same as the original B5 Cast.

------------------
John Simpson
http://users.bigpond.net.au/spectre
Nighthawk on #babylon5 , Oz.Org Servers

Cobols Wordy and Confining
Cobolts Metal Hard and Shiny
Kobolds crumble when you Strike them
Don't be sad its hard to like them.
:The Roguelets ABC

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.