B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 18th 03, 23:21   #11
PsionTen
First One

Re: Children of Dune

Damn. I have to say that I was impressed by the conclusion. I'm not a big Frank Herbert enthusiast, but it seems that adapting Dune Messiah and Children of Dune was a good idea. In retrospect, I think the problem I had with the original mini-series was that six hours was simply too much time to tell the story of Muad'Dib.... it seemed like they had to fill in the spaces with useless filler material like an increased role for Irulan. I'm not sure if they will ever be able to adapt God Emperor of Dune, which I suppose is why they're talking about a Dune: The Television Series -- go figure.
PsionTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th 03, 09:22   #12
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Would anyone who saw all of the first miniseries say it was worth paying for on DVD?
That's a tricky question. If there were some way you could rent it and see for yourself, that might be best.

Some people loved and some hated Dune the miniseries. My opinion fell somewhere in the middle. I have seen it from beginning to end twice. But I wouldn't buy it on DVD unless it was the only way I could see it.

COD I also probably wouldn't buy on DVD but I agree with the consensus here: it was better than the first.

The navigators did look fakey, though, as someone else said.

BTW, shouldn't there be SPOILERS in the subject line? We are spoiling this miniseries left and right here.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th 03, 10:14   #13
anlashok1
First One

I disliked the 1984 movie very much so I was a bit apprehensive when the mini-series (Dune) came out; but I loved it and bought the DVD. I watched it for the third time just before CoD was shown. I didn't like CoD quite as much but I still pre-ordered the DVD. When you see a show more than once you pick up on parts you missed previously. All-in-all it was a good series. I will now try to read the books.
anlashok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th 03, 10:56   #14
PsionTen
First One

Quote:
BTW, shouldn't there be SPOILERS in the subject line? We are spoiling this miniseries left and right here.
Yeah, but the mini-series ended last night.
Old March 19th 03, 11:03   #15
Demonn
First One

There still might be people that haven't seen it yet.
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th 03, 11:05   #16
Kribu
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, but the mini-series ended last night.
You mean in the US, obviously.
Kribu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th 03, 11:05   #17
PsionTen
First One

Quote:
There still might be people that haven't seen it yet.
There still might be people who never saw V the mini-series either... exactly how long after something is over before you don't have to use "spoilers" anymore?
Old March 19th 03, 11:08   #18
AntonyF
Administrator

Quote:
There still might be people who never saw V the mini-series either... exactly how long after something is over before you don't have to use "spoilers" anymore?
Two years.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th 03, 11:11   #19
PsionTen
First One

Quote:
Two years.
Good to know... spoilers now added to title.
Old March 19th 03, 11:18   #20
gangster
Dead Account

Quote:
I disliked the 1984 movie very much so I was a bit apprehensive when the mini-series (Dune) came out; but I loved it and bought the DVD. I watched it for the third time just before CoD was shown. I didn't like CoD quite as much but I still pre-ordered the DVD. When you see a show more than once you pick up on parts you missed previously. All-in-all it was a good series. I will now try to read the books.
Looking back from today's perspective the 1984 DUNE is not that good from a technical standpoint but when it first came out it was a "ground breaker." I always did like the 1984 version and have an original four hour tape. I also have a tape and DVD for DUNE 2000. Wasn't impressed when it first ran on TV but came around after watching it off the tape and even more from the DVD. I'm at about the same point with CoD right now as I was when I first watched DUNE 2000 but will buy the DVD so I have in my collection.
gangster is offline   Reply With Quote