• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Question for Stargate fans

Frizzell

Beyond the rim
I have watched Stargate sporadically since it started on Sci-Fi. Having just seen the two parter the TokRa, I would like to ask a couple of questions.

From my viewing of the series, the TokRa do not seem to be a reliable ally. How are they portrayed in the series? Are only certain TokRa, like Jacob and perhaps Lantash (sp?), to be trusted?

I tried looking through the episode guide at Gate World to answer my questions, but I found their synopsis of the episodes to be too scant.

Thank you,

Frizzell

I have watched Stargate sporadically since it started on Sci-Fi. Having just seen the two parter the TokRa, I would like to ask a couple of questions.

From my viewing of the series, the TokRa do not seem to be a reliable ally. How are they portrayed in the series? Are only certain TokRa, like Jacob and perhaps Lantash (sp?), to be trusted?

I tried looking through the episode guide at Gate World to answer my questions, but I found their synopsis of the episodes to be too scant.

Thank you,

Frizzell

I'm in the same boat with you. I've watched several in a row, missed big chunks, and the seen several more in a row. From what I've seen, the TokRa are kinda like the Minbari, they never tell you the whole truth. I wouldn't go so far as to say the weren't reliable allies, but, you certainly need to closely examine everything they say and do, and be very careful not to accept what they tell you at face value. In the episodes I've seen dealing with the TokRa, there was always something they neglected to mention, and that was often dangerous for someone.

The Tok'ra are for the most part honorable. Like any group, you'll have one or two to keep your eye on. I don't want to spoil anything with examples...but, if anyone is interested in examples just pm me.

Thank you for your responses. I will have to pay more attention to the various TokRa featured on the show to ascertain who is trustworthy.

That reminds me. What happened to Martouf?

Spoilers
As I mentioned before, I have just finished watching the episode TokRA. I remember watching a later episode in which Martouf had been killed and Lantash(sp?) took a wounded solider as his host. Is Martouf/Lantash a recuring character?

Thank you,

Frizzell

I agree with Elizar's reply. But to go a little beyond, the Tok'ra are like any nation or group and will put their own preceived interests ahead of everyone else, including their allies.

As a sidebar, I've watched SG-1 since it first aired on Showtime and have all six seasons released DVD, plus Season Seven, recorded without commercials on VHS. I'll record Season Eight and likely will record Stargate Atlantis. I think it is a great Scifi show -- not as good as Babylon 5 but still a great show.

What happened to Martouf?

SPOILER

d

He died. Shot by SGC Personell. He was under mind controll. And for awhile, he was a reoccuring character. Not as often as Bra'tak or Salmack/Sam's Dad, but still reoccuring.

Thanks! My current work schedule is crazy. I might invest in the box sets. Picking up bits here and there is starting to annoy me.

Frizzell

Any idea why Dr. Frazier left the show? Small part, sure, but the money was steady.

There goes my fondest hope of a Frazier/Carter love scene!

If Dr. Frazier is the female Dr, I believe this week's episode is a two parter, and next week you find out what happened to her, I didn't watch the episodes myself, but read the spoilers when it was on the first time.

That is an awesome two-parter. It was very well written and well acted. The twists in it weren't cheesy either. It was done very well. Saul Rubinek made the perfect guest star to play the role of the documentary guy. I would say that was Stargate at its best.

Any idea why Dr. Frazier left the show? Small part, sure, but the money was steady.

There goes my fondest hope of a Frazier/Carter love scene!

To all who've watched in bits and pieces: SG-1 is well worth the DVD purchase. It's an exciting and well written SF show with great characters who are fun and have a wonderful onscreen rapport.

The arc of the show is probably 40-50% and is fun to watch. They're very good at returning to prior stories for great follow-ups. It's no B5, but for outright fun and very well made SF with a cast and crew that are having a blast doing what they're doing (and it comes through in the work), I highly recommend buying the season box-sets on DVD.

It's one of my top, fave SF shows.

It definately beats the shit out of ST.

As for TR (Frazier), she was written into the two parter to die because they thought S7 was going to be the last season for SG-1. They wanted a very powerful moment, and to kill off someone we didn't know wouldn't have the impact they wanted. They had written the ep and were blown away buy it (it was a wonderful ep). Then they got word that they were coming back for one more season. They loved the ep. so much they didn't want to change it, so they decided to stay with Frazier's death. TR was accepting of the decision but was supposedly (along with everyone else) very upset by it, but I've already seen her on previews for a new Showtime show. So, who knows, word is that she hadn't planned on leaving and didn't really want to and that the above story is the official one with the writers/producers taking the blame freely and the backlash from the fans. I personally can't help but to wonder if it's not all somewhat staged and that TPTB aren't taking the fall to protect TR in the eyes of the fans. If you've watched the commentaries (which are the best commentaries I've ever seen, period), the people behind SG are just such folks...they would gladly take the heat if it kept TR in the good graces of the fans.

But who knows...her character is dead, and word is there will be no magical SF resurrection. MS's return was acceptable sense they didn't really kill DJ off on the show and he appeared in 4 eps in S7.

CE

PS: I can't WAIT for Atlantis! :D

I thought it was a very powerful episode. They tried to mislead the viewer at times but I have to admit, I didnt see it coming. I try not to watch or pay too much attention to the previews for upcoming eps because there have been instances where the secret or whatever has already been given away in a preview. I liked TR's character and wanted to see more of her and Carter outside of work and their friendship.

Atlantis... Don't get me wrong, it may be pretty good one, but based on what I have read about it and those actors... sheesh... Why they just don't end Stargate while it's still good? I'm kinda afraid that SG:Atlantis will be something like SG: Infinity but with real actors. :rolleyes:

Well, to celebrate landing a new job, I have ordered the box sets for Stargate. I look forward to seeing the story from the beginning and watching it unfold.

Frizzell

Well, to celebrate landing a new job, I have ordered the box sets for Stargate. I look forward to seeing the story from the beginning and watching it unfold.

Frizzell

Excellent! :D Enjoy! I know I have thoroughly loved SG-1 from the beginning on DVD...it's been a great ride.

And to any naysayers about SGA...shame...SG has great show runners who love the universe and have been planning the idea behind SGA for years now. I don't know what you think you've read about the actors...but until you see the show and give them a chance to find their nitch and characters, you shouldn't judge. TPTB on SG have always been really good at casting, so I have no reason to believe that these actors aren't gonna be great.

A lot of people weren't too sure about the SG-1 cast 7 years ago either...and back then people were saying stuff like...why can't they just do another movie? I don't know about this cast, it's not the film cast. I'll bet this is gonna suck.

Oh well, goes to show you what great casting, great actors, great writers who love their job and are having a blast, great show runners and 7 seasons can do.

I will give SGA a chance...and I know the cast will be struggling throughout the first season to find their own voices and characters and will be trying to get out from under the shadow of SG-1. So, I will give it at least two seasons to win me, and I will watch with an open mind. I won't be tuning in to see other people acting like SG-1. I will be tuning in with high expectations for SGA to be its own show, with its own characters.

I have faith in the TPTB on SG. They, like JMS, have proven to me they can be trusted and that they are by no means like Berman and Co.

Until then, don't form opinions until you have something to form them from.

CE

The main problem is this:

MAJOR JOHN SHEPPARD
PLAYED BY - Joe Flanigan
A gifted military pilot, posted at McMurdoch Air Force Base because it's the only place they will let him fly; Sheppard once defied a direct order and flew his helicopter to rescue two Rangers trapped behind enemy lines. Though people might see a good-ol' boy exterior, he is also a closet mathematical genius. He has a wry sense of humor and likes to pretend he's not as smart as he really is.

- This is so straight rip-off of Jack O'Neill.. I mean, could they invent something a little more original? And also the thing that Sheppard is one of the few people that posses the gene that allows him to use Ancient's weapons... Oh my... cliche after cliche.

Second:

TEYLA EMMAGAN
PLAYED BY - Rachel Luttrell
A beautiful and soulful woman between 20 and 25 years old, she is a native of the post-apocalyptic alien world viewers will encounter in the initial episode, and has lost most of her family to the Wraith. Despite her youth, she has become somewhat of a leader to her people. Initially seen as a love interest for Sheppard, she joins our team's effort to defeat our common enemy in the Wraith and their budding romance becomes playful sexual tension as they focus on their mission. She proves herself early on to be a surprisingly scrappy fighter, a survivor under any circumstances and an invaluable source of knowledge about the people and worlds the team will be visiting.

- Teal'c anyone? Why thay HAVE to have an alien in their team? Teal'c was original, this is not.

Third thing that bugs me. They will find the Ancient city and within that city there's all kind of stuff. Then there's this one ship which has inside it a REMOTE DIAL HOME DEVICE?! C'mon! Ship can dial Stargate? If you ask me, that's kinda lame. Very lame. Plus on top of that, it can transport up to 8 people if I recall correctly. Fourth thing that I find not-so-much-annoying as the rest is that the Stargate in the Pegasus galaxy will have a built-in Iris protection system. It will be transparent. That's kinda ok... but Sheppard and that alien woman who will give them insight to other alien cultures.. sheesh.. and with that transport ship with built-in dial home device... Riiight... Sounds like Starship troopers 3 to me.

Don't get me wrong though. I really wish best to the new cast, and I want to see that I'm wrong with all this and that SG:Atlantis will be a good show. I really want that to happen. I will wish my best luck to them... but in this light... I will remain sceptical and maybe I will be surprised.

One thing that I do like in the Atlantis a lot, that it isn't a military that runs the show. It's independent "faculty". And I like how the new team looks (apart from that little thingie that now they have flags of USA and Canada on their arm... in SG-1 they had sign of Tau'ri on their arm... this reminds me of Black Hawk Down in some wicked way):

atlantiscast1.jpg

I don't get to watch StarGate SG1 as much as I'd like, but I enjoy most eps that I have seen except the ones with the replicators in them. :mad:

Why don't you like the replicators? I thought they made rather good nasties. Not malicious or evil, just relentless in their need to do what they are programmed to do. And what I liked best was...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

they were a terrible accident. And there was an early chance to contain/deprogram/destroy them, and our hero, Jack O'Neill, blew it.

I liked the episode where they finally confronted the evolved replicators on the Asgard planet which they had taken over

Back