• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Will the Liandra have Bio-Armor?

Demonn

Regular
I can't help it I just love that stuff
laugh.gif
. It turns out that the Minbari can produce Bio-Armor, however it takes a couple of months to graph it on to another ship. The Victory class Destroyers were supposed to have the Bio-Armor grafted over its crystalline/plasteel armor, which would make it one tough cookie.

Anyhow the Liandra is a ship that no one wants. You would think that since it's a ranger vessel, and it was sitting around for a while that they would have had the time to graph Bio-Armor on it. What do you guys and girls think?
crazy.gif

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War Is Life And Death Is The Only True Peace"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by War-Demon:
The Victory class Destroyers were supposed to have the Bio-Armor grafted over its crystalline/plasteel armor, which would make it one tough cookie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's speculation by the B5 tech site, right? Bucause I've never seen it mentioned in any canon materials.

And we certainly didn't see the Minbari retrofiting any ships with bio-armour during B5, so I doubt they'd do it with the Liandra.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> From B5tech:
Note: Minbari do not have a complete grasp of Vorlon technology used in the creation of the Whitestar Fleet. It is unknown how effective a job they could have done fitting the Excalibur with bio-armor or Vorlon shields. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Minbari aren't stupid they would of taken down notes on how they built the Whitestars(they made thousands of them). On top of that they had additional Vorlon tech given to them wich was used in the construction of the Victory class Destroyers.

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War Is Life And Death Is The Only True Peace"

Info on B5tech is not canon (unless a canon source is mentioned). And regardless of whether or not the Minbari are stupid, we haven't seen them retrofit any ships with bio-armour yet, so there must be something preventing it.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.

I have to admit, I remember hearing that the Victory-class ships were supposed to be getting Bio-Armor from SOMEWHERE, and before this place, the only B5 web site I went to was Lurkers. Unfortunately, I watched River of Souls and A Call To Arms yesterday, but I was sick and kept falling asleep... so I don't remember for sure if it was said there.

I do have the following quote from JMSNews -
Cole's character is captain of the Excalibur, a prototype destroyer
combining human, Minbari and Vorlon tech.
(Subject: Re: Attn JMS: Bravo on acquiring Cole! A few questions, though...)

If it wasn't the bio-armor, does anyone remember what Vorlon tech WAS put into the Victory and the Excalibur?

Now my wife will have to let me watch some B5 during normal hours, whether the child insists on making laser-fire noises or not!!!
smile.gif

------------------

Why should the Minbari be in any hurry to retrofit their ships with Vorlon Tech??

They are already, according to Londo ("In The Beginning"), so far ahead of the other races that atacking them is the next best thing to suicide.

When Earthgov asked Londo for help in Contacting the Minbari prior to the war, he advised them not to go near the Minbari. He told them that the Centauri Republic had long ago learned not to annoy them.

When Londo was approached by Earthgov asking for Centauri help during the Earth Minbari war, he turned them down Flat. He said that, much as he regretted the fact that Earth was about to be destroyed, he had no desire to see the same thing happen to Centauri Prime.

Londo made it clear that he KNEW the Centauri stood no chance against Minbar.

You kinda have to wonder what happened to the Last race who annoyed the Minbari.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>You kinda have to wonder what happened to the Last race who annoyed the Minbari.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would be the Garmak...
About 1464 they were a powerful empire. They thought they were hot stuff, and that the Minbari were old, past their prime and should be an easy conquest. So they attacked a few intstallations on the border of Minbari space, to test their defenses. These installations fell easily, so the Garmak thought the rest would be easy too.
These installations were no military bbases though, but undefended religious retreats... I think you can guess how the Minbari reacted. Right, a "holy war". The Garmak fleets were annihilated by Minbari Warcruisers, their colonies destroyed, and their empire cast down. The Minbari stopped at the Garmak homeworld, but their day was past by then.
The few survivors were later an easy conquest for an young upstart race fresh into space and empire-building who had been watching from the sidelines - The Centauri. (and that's why they Know Exactly why not to anger the Minbari...)

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

"Go on, watch out for Shadows - we'll watch you right back!"

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>

You kinda have to wonder what happened to the Last race who annoyed the Minbari.
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Streibs. Watch 'All alone in the night'.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Streibs. Watch 'All alone in the night'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, the Streibs didn't really annoy the Minbari... not that much anyway. They were a nuisiance for a few Minbari, but they didn't rate the attention of the whole race... so they got off lightly when a large Minbari fleet visited their world, destroyed everything in orbit and told them to refrain from further collection missions...

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

ShadowScout, are you posting FanFic here??
I've seen All the televised stuff and read all the books.
The only thing I don't have yet is the short stories.

I never saw Any mention of the Garmak, their empire or a war with the Minbari anywhere before.

So, is this from a short story, or FanFic??

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited September 14, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
ShadowScout, are you posting FanFic here??
I've seen All the televised stuff and read all the books.
The only thing I don't have yet is the short stories.

I never saw Any mention of the Garmak, their empire or a war with the Minbari anywhere before.

So, is this from a short story, or FanFic??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I do not know of this Garmak race either. There were not mentioned in any of the 6 short stories I would love to know where this info came from Shadowscout.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
Yeah I do not know of this Garmak race either. There were not mentioned in any of the 6 short stories I would love to know where this info came from Shadowscout.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd guess it comes from the Babylon 5 Wars game. It's "canonisity" is... debatable.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I'd guess it comes from the Babylon 5 Wars game. It's "canonisity" is... debatable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Of course - where else.
laugh.gif
The history sections in their supplements are fonts of nice information for those who lika a little bit more background for their favorite universe... (nice that people here start to know me and my third-favorite source of B5 info...
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
tongue.gif
wink.gif
)

And since everything they do has to be checked by Babylonian Productions and Warner Bros. before they may release it, the info there is as good as canon unless contradiced by the show or until JMS decides otherwise (and he himself said so in his foreword to their "Rules Compendium").

Oh, and for that "canon" matter... it's the same with the show... remember just What really happened to the "Drala Fi"???
Was it destroyed along with a few other ships when Sheridan mined the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter as stated in Season-2 of the show, or alone in another system much earlier in the war as seen in "In the Beginning"?
Which of the two informations is canon now???
Does this problem mean the show's "canonisity" is... debatable???

Let's review the "levels" of "canon"...
Canon - the show and everything JMS says.
Licensed & Approved - The books and AoG info; as good as canon unless contradiced by the show.
Licensed - the early B5 products like the first few books and the RPG. Use with caution, since in these days these was no approval from BP and WB needed, which led to several big "oops" there (which annoyed Those Who Know enough to install the "guidance policy" for further licensed products)
Non-Canon - Fan speculation as found on diverse websites. Completely made up...

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

[This message has been edited by ShadowScout (edited September 15, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowScout:
Let's review the "levels" of "canon"...
Canon - the show and everything JMS says.
Licensed & Approved - The books and AoG info; as good as canon unless contradiced by the show.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My real problem with this is that so far, jms has never taken into account anything that wasn't developed under his supervision. This includes the more recent novels and the comics, for example, but not the B5 Wars stuff. As such, the latter will never feel like an "organic" part of the B5 universe, to me at least. Your best hope is probably that Rangers goes to series, and one of the freelancers draws on B5 Wars for background material. It'd certainly help me
wink.gif
. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Licensed - the early B5 products like the first few books and the RPG. Use with caution, since in these days these was no approval from BP and WB needed, which led to several big "oops" there (which annoyed Those Who Know enough to install the "guidance policy" for further licensed products)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's not entierly correct. Jms has always approved all B5 merchandise personally. The problem was that his schedule often gave little time to spare for this, so he ended up speeding through them at 5 in the morning the day before the deadline.

The RPG people did have one advantage though - they were based not too far from Babylonian Productions, and were able to meet with jms & co and discuss the product in person at regular intervals. Also, instead of inserting new events, most of their stuff was geared towards filling out the workings of the worlds we saw in the show, and they had an abstract aproach to ship stats. This made it a lot easier for me accept it on the "as long as it isn't contradicted by jms" argument.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wyvern:
I have to admit, I remember hearing that the Victory-class ships were supposed to be getting Bio-Armor from SOMEWHERE, and before this place, the only B5 web site I went to was Lurkers.

If it wasn't the bio-armor, does anyone remember what Vorlon tech WAS put into the Victory and the Excalibur?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Victory class ships ("Victory" and "Excalibur") are the Destroyer class of the Whitestar, and were supposed to use a combination of the latest Earthforce tech (EXCLUDING Shadowtech of course, since Vorlon tech and Shadowtech would NOT get along. Read "Hidden Agendas."), the latest Minbari tech, AND Vorlon tech (including bio-armor as was used on the ONE HUNDRED Whitestars that were built).

It's in "A Call to Arms."

------------------
KoshN
----------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for the new series
"Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2, 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Latest posts

Members online