• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The "Sci-Fi" Channel, Really???

Re: The \"Sci-Fi\" Channel, Really???

They've hosted shows with a guy contacting the dead.

A joke hopefully, but I fear not likely. :rolleyes:

Hey, they at least are showing Dr. Who. That is a huge step in the right direction.

Well, for the SVU reruns, I wonder if it's not some kind of mix-up between Sci-Fi and USA, since I think they're both owned by the same company, or however that works, and USA airs a lot of SVU.

The same thing could be said of the wrestling listing. WWE Raw comes on USA from 9-11 on Mondays... but I just now checked and saw that May 30 is a Tuesday. And that still wouldn't explain the 7-9 thing. It COULD be explained as being an episode that's pushed back because of some other thing airing on USA that Monday, if the whole "Sci-Fi/USA mix-up" is a viable theory.

Hell, I don't know. Sci-Fi has aired things before that weren't actually sci-fi/fantasy/horror/etc. in any real way (Braveheart), but this seems WAY off-track. I'll just chalk it up to a messed up scheduling thinger until otherwise informed, just because I REALLY don't see why SVU would air on Sci-Fi. Wrestling too, for that matter.

... but this seems WAY off-track.

That's what I thought, but given some of the stuff that's appeared on Sci-Fi in the past, it's not outside the realm of possibility. Maybe it's a homogenization of the program content of the two channels, and an attempt to move The Sci-Fi Channel further toward mainstream?

"...and watch out for the shadows. They move .. when you are not looking at them."
-- Sinclair to Garibaldi in Babylon 5:"The Coming of Shadows"[/i]

I see no reason for them to try and make SFC more "mainstream"... if it became more like everyone else, they'd lose the niche market they currently enjoy.

I see no reason for them to try and make SFC more "mainstream"... if it became more like everyone else, they'd lose the niche market they currently enjoy.

As Bozo the Evil Klown <font color="orange">said</font> in:

rec.arts.sf.tv > Bonnie Hammer is SFC's savior?!?

The USA channel had changed hands so many times it had lost any clear identity. And in the process, it had lost ratings. "Zucker, and Wright, and Gaspin, asked me what I wanted to do," Ms. Hammer said. "First of all, I wanted to give it a brand. Nobody knows what USA is. And the other thing was to bring back the W.W.E. to its rightful home."

<font color="orange">This is one of the more pervasive forms of stupidity in the cable business. Every cable net wants a "brand," an "identity." Then once they get it they immediately start worrying and carping about being pigeonholed in the brand THEY MADE THE EFFORT TO DEVELOP FOR THEMSELVES, and start programming outside of their "brand." For a pertinent example look at Hammer's efforts to erase SciFi's reputation as a network for sci fi.</font>

Well, it may be a bit of a stretch but Richard Belzer's character John Munch started on Homicide. While doing that show, he did a couple of crossover appearances. One of which was on the X-Files. So this means that the Law and Order universe is the same as the X-Files universe. Maybe these episodes deals with alien pederasts? :D

What's that, n degrees of Sci-Fi? (ala 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon) :LOL:

Maybe these episodes deals with alien pederasts?

07:00 PM LAW & ORDER: SVU SCOURGE
08:00 PM LAW & ORDER: SVU MANHUNT
09:00 PM LAW & ORDER: SVU CHAMELEON
10:00 PM LAW & ORDER: SVU DOMINANCE

SCOURGE -- The destruction of the Earth thanks to alien invasion!
MANHUNT -- Aliens hunting for one man who is the only one capable of stopping them from invading.
CHAMELEON -- An alien who can make themselves look like any human sent in advance of an invading force.
DOMINANCE -- Aliens standing in domination of Earth after having invaded face revolt from humans wanting to take their planet back.

;)

Well, none I can think of sport a sci-fi themed gimmick at the moment, though The Boogeyman could be considered "horror." Mostly, horror at being forced to put up with him on a weekly basis. ZINGGGGGG.

C'mon, what about the wrasslers?

Well, Babylon 5 had "TKO", and Star Trek Voyager had an episode where Seven of Nine, I think, had to fight in some kind of force cage fighting event. So for the wrestling, we'll just pull it from there and have it being a bunch of aliens fighting.

Or, perhaps we'll go a non-alien route. People abducted from the streets of some major city and purposefully infected with some virus that makes them fight. So, some organization abducts people, infects them, and then puts them in a ring and lets them beat the crap out of each other.

C'mon, what about the wrasslers?

Well, Babylon 5 had "TKO",

Well that was boxing, and the guy wasn't a real boxer, was he?

and Star Trek Voyager had an episode where Seven of Nine, I think, had to fight in some kind of force cage fighting event.

I remember the flap about some wressler being on Voyager, but that was long after I'd quit watching it.

So for the wrestling, we'll just pull it from there and have it being a bunch of aliens fighting.

Or, perhaps we'll go a non-alien route. People abducted from the streets of some major city and purposefully infected with some virus that makes them fight. So, some organization abducts people, infects them, and then puts them in a ring and lets them beat the crap out of each other.

~Somewhat~ along those lines.....
B5 - All Alone in the Night
TOS - The Gamesters of Triskelion (S2)
TNG - Code of Honor (S1E3)

That was the Rock that was on VOyager, I believe. I didn't watch it, because I too had given up already on Voyager, but, remember the commercial for it.

To be fair, I thought I'd mention that WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) has publicly instituted a strict drug policy consisting of random testing, prescription monitoring, etc. They have finally started taking the matter very seriously.

C'mon, what about the wrasslers? :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, the science part is pretty thin, but the fiction is definitely there.

Oh there's plenty of science is wrestling. I mean, how many different types of steroids are they using?

You've got me. It IS science fiction.

As to WWE doing drug testing, give me a break. Look at those people -- they AREN'T using steroids? And, why should they drug test, anyway? It's a performance, not an atheletic competition.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back