• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The long waiting

My guess for a release date is 2006. Sorry folks. Granted they could rush things and be done for a Christmas 2005 release, but I've seen no real indication that they're gonna rush this.

I would prefer a Christmas release personally, but summer 2006 would be fine. Do not expect a summer 2005 release at all, since that would put it square up against SW:RotS, which JMS said he would not do.

A Christmas 2005 release would ride in on the coattails of SW, and would make it the last word for the year in SF. Which, if it's as good as I think it will be, would make it the memorable SF film for 2005.

We'll see. Let's get the official announcement, during which they will probably state a projected release date.

CE

That's great.
I just got home and found this great news after so long.

Thanks CE.

Why is that I got the impression that each day it passes we get closer to the Big Announcement? :LOL:

And this should be one more sign of hope to those who still doubt for some reason

Ok, I admit. You're right, man.
And you can say that as many times you want, as long as you give us more hints like that.

Almir

PS: But I said earlier that I have no more doubts. :)

I had doubts. :)

It was starting to look like a Red Dwarf movie:
perpetually on the verge of almsot happening. :LOL:

I wouldn't blame ILM too much for the deficiencies of the recent Star Wars films. The films are George Lucas's more than ILM's. I don't know if they gave him exactly what he wanted and he just has bad taste (which seems to me quite possible), if he asked them to do too much on too short a schedule, or if he demanded the moon and wouldn't come up with the money. I do know that ILM's work on other films has continued to be outstanding.

I also know that some of the WETA guys and JMS have a mutual admiration society going, dating back to a meeting at an SF/Comic convention in the last year or two - a meeting instigated by WETA, if memory serves. So it is very nice to hear that WB is talking to people who were already B5 fans and interested in collaborating with JMS. (Although JMS has said that Lucas and the folks at the ILM table also sat up and took notice the first time they were at a awards ceremony where footage from B5 was featured.)

It is quite possible that this isn't an either/or solicitation, and that ILM and WETA could both be involved in the film - Having two FX houses involved is not unusual with big productions, especially where it is advantageous to have a local company at hand while a shoot is filming in some exotic location like, say, New Zealand. ;)

(The above is pure speculation, based on CE's report which must respectfully be classified as a rumor at this point. So don't go booking your 2005 vacation Down Under quite yet. :D)

Regards,

Joe

Yesterday my inside source told me that last Friday, WB and JMS approached ILM for bids on the SFX for TMoS. Reportedly, they have also asked WETA to bid.
Just to pick a nit, the name is Weta (techically, Wetadigital LTD), not WETA (a mistake I make all the time myself as I am a member of WETA, a DC public radio station). The FX house is named after an insect common in New Zealand. It isn't an abbreviation like ILM.

Star Wars Ep3 starts with a huge space battle, from what i've heard and seen it will probably rock. It should at least be better than the planet-based stuf we've seen in Ep1+2. It is alo complete, and could make a nice show-reel for what ILM can do.

I'd be happy with either effects house, assuming CE's source is correct. The news certainly sounds like a logical step.
Are there any other big effects companies out there? Both of those are probably quite expensive, i'm assuming TMOS will be a low-mid range budget film.

Are there any other big effects companies out there?
Digital Domain (owned by Cameron) and ESC Entertainment (Matrix films). As much as i hate Matrix 2&3 effects, their "space based" CGI is very good.

Thanks Sigma. The latter Matrix films were not great, but the battle for Zion in number 3 rocked, as did the machine city. I think that company could put an interesting spin on B5 effects.
As my work is slow today, and thanks to CE we are talking effects, lets speculate. You know you love it!!!

Do you think the effects in any possible B5 movie will have to stay as close to the original series, or could it move off with a new look?

Bear in mind that the effects in B5, Crusade, and Rangers all had quite a few differences (jumpgates, ship movement physics etc.)

Also bear in mind that CGI has moved on a lot since it's pioneering days in B5.

Should any new company put a new 'spin' on effects?

There are some things that I would consider B5's signature look, such as the more colourful interpretation of space using various coloured nebulae etc., and the basic designs of B5 and the starships used by the various races. I wouldn't want to see any of those things sacrificed.

Beyond that, it is to be hoped that the time, attention and money that could be lavished on a feature (in comparison with a TV episode) will mean that they can use more varied and detailed textures, as well as significantly more powerful software and hardware than in 1998, which will give the whole thing a newer, fresher feeling even before you start considering possible, more drastic changes.

As for my source, I've always contended that he's a source, not a fact. However, he's yet to be wrong in things I've heard. Sometimes, he tells me facts, sometimes it's insider Hollywood talk and rumor he hears (since he's working in Hollywood in the biz).

This is something relayed as fact. I tend to believe him on this (you can or not) since his past facts have never been wrong.

Sigma...Weta (yes, technically it's WetaDigital, but everyone calls it WETA or Weta, or whatever, short hand writing, sorry) also worked heavily on Matrix 2 and 3, in fact, they were the main house on those films. WB loves Weta.

While yes Weta was formed by disgruntled ILM folk...they have actually made Lucas worry and tell his ILM people they have to do better.

While both sides have hit and miss moments, WETA is considered the top of the rung in the biz right now.

Often times it is the amount of money there is for each effect that matters. If you have tons of dough, then yes the effect will look better.

Sometimes, certain effects are given priority over others.

Weta to me is better right now, because they're not married to CGI. They still use and respect the use of detailed model work, which to me (and most filmmakers) simply cannot be replaced by CG yet. WETA now has extensive experience doing both highly detailed modeling and matching it perfectly with CG. This puts them a step above ILM these days, who are spending most of their time on CG only FX.

Yes, JMS has a soft spot for Weta, and my prediction is that Weta will be the main FX house (again, consider that WB has a great relationship with Weta these days because of LOTR and the Matrix films).

Also, you should know that on any big FX film, there are always other, smaller FX houses that do various and sundry other FX throughout the film. The bidding is for the main house.

Most big budget FX films, like TMoS is, go to the big houses for the main FX...so I'm not in the least surprised to know that that's what WB is doing. I would be more surprised to find out they weren't going to one of the big FX houses.

You all need to get over the concept that B5 is a little thing. It's bigger than most realized, even WB. And for them to do a big budget film, they're gonna want to make it massive, not just big..to create a new and huge fan base that a blockbuster can do. They'll reach for the B5 brass ring. And with JMS in charge, they'll most likely get it.

TMoS is not gonna be another little TV movie. This is big Hollywood here, so get over the past and realize things have changed...we're playin' with the big boys now.

The fact that ST has used their TV FX house for the last two films showed in a bad way...I'm certain WB will go the extra mile to set B5 above current ST (again) on the ladder.

Harlan Ellison has stated that JMS is going out of town for a bit and my guess is he's most likely heading to NZ to talk to Weta, or is checking out the shooting locales and studios.

Ellison said:
Joe is traveling, until next Friday. He came by yesterday just before heading to LAX, so we could tie up some personal stuff, and he said he'd get around to answering all this gibberish when he had a spare moment.

Here are links to the info:

http://harlanellison.com/heboard/un...g=51&num=25
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/040809e.php

From the second link, some info that could or could not be relevant regarding the Australian FOX studio space.

Another interesting bit. Warners are apparently going to rent the Fox studios for the next 2 years. I don't know what that means. Maybe they're shooting two Superman movies back to back, maybe they're just keeping it for the inevitable Superman sequel, maybe Green Lantern is gearing up, hell, it could be Scooby Doo 3! I honestly don't know, but look for a big Warner production to be in Sydney after Superman.

The idea that TMoS might shoot in the FOX studios in Australia is to me not a big shock...it's most likely where they will shoot.

Whether this WB purchase of more studio time there is for TMoS or not...I can't say.

Over all, expect bigger, grander, and a more epic and finely tuned appearance from this B5...things, my friends, have changed.

As Sinclair once said, "Nothing's the same anymore."

Only this time, it's a good thing.

:D

CE

More as I can find it. Until then..."Faith Manages."

What about the implication he made that he'd be spending alot time in England in the near future, and even went to the point of inquiring about what the better area would be to set up house in as compared to his commute?

CE

Could it be?

All of this is starting to make a great deal of sense now.

Wetadigital on the SFX front would be ideal.

The Bigatures used in the LOTR trilogy - just think of the alien landscapes which could be portrayed using this technique.

And look what they did with the BALROG - the thought of new and improved shadow minions - they would i'm sure be amazing.

all we need now is the official announcement.

What about the implication he made that he'd be spending alot time in England in the near future, and even went to the point of inquiring about what the better area would be to set up house in as compared to his commute?

Even if you make the assumption that this UK time would be related to TMoS, that doesn't necessarily contradict doing a great deal of primary photography in a studio around Sydney.

Farscape shot in Sydney and had a great deal of animatronics construction and prosthetic make-up production done at Henson's Creature Shop in London. Australian actors would fly to London to sit through their head molds etc.

It is possible that a similar model could be followed for TMoS. A fair amount of time could be spent in the UK during pre-production on those kinds of things, and then have a fair amount of the shooting done in Australia.

Just speculation on my part.

On days like today I am glad I browse this site and JMSNEWS.

'Exciting, isn't it?'

You sound like Draal. ;) killhorb

Forgive me, but I'm operating on very little sleep (since Aug. 2nd).....

I guess you're referring to CE's #259196 - 08/10/04 11:13 AM post (quoted below)?

Guess this is as good a place as any to post this.

Yesterday my inside source told me that last Friday, WB and JMS approached ILM for bids on the SFX for TMoS. Reportedly, they have also asked WETA to bid.

Given that they are now trying to lock in an FX company, then we should hear an announcement soon. If they are, indeed, this far into pre-production. This should also mean that at least any portion of the shooting script that includes FX should be done.

So, hopefully the long twilight wait will soon come to an end.

And this should be one more sign of hope to those who still doubt for some reason.

CE

What post in JMSNews are you referring to? This one? Subject: Re: Richard's Replacement

grumbler:

Just to pick a nit, the name is Weta (techically, Wetadigital LTD), not WETA (a mistake I make all the time myself as I am a member of WETA, a DC public radio station). The FX house is named after an insect common in New Zealand. It isn't an abbreviation like ILM.

I used to live in MD and watched a public TV station, which I'm sure was named WETA. That's what I was thinking of, at first. ("Why would jms go to a public TV station for SFX?")

Then, I realized it had to be something else. :LOL: :p

As JDM is fond of saying, "I think you're reading a lot into nothing."

We have from Harlan that he's only going to be out of town until Friday. Is that this Friday or next? Who knows, who cares. Why he's gone and where is more important. Unfortunately Harlan didn't indicate that.

The fact that he may have gone to NZ or Australia was my guess, nothing more. For all I know he's gone to Cabo Wabo to enlist Van Halen for the title song. :rolleyes:

As for what PR said, this is SOP in the film industry. Especially in this day of high speed DSL where any info can be seen, heard, sent, etc. in minutes in high quality.

FX, makeup, design, almost any aspect of a film such as TMoS could be done anywhere and moved or transferred to where it's supposed to be.

Many houses may have a main office somewhere, but FX people go on locations and into other countries to film films all the time, folks. It doesn't matter a rat's stinky pellet where any FX house, makeup house, design house, etc is actually located...they go where the job takes them. End of story.

A lot of big films and films requiring a lot of soundstage space are filming in Australia at the FOX studios there now.

They are, after all, the largest sound stages in the world.

Bottom line, it doesn't really matter. I know JMS will find the best and deliver the best. A lot is riding on this and I really don't think JMS is unaware of that, nor WB.

As I said, this is playin' with the big boys now. However anything B5 was made in the past, no longer applies.

CE

Back