• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Forbidden Planet?

Just curious if anyone on here knew anything about the Forbidden Planet Not-Quite-Remake that JMS was working on for Warners? I haven't heard anything in a couple years, and I'm assuming it's either dead or in development hell.

Yeah, JMS had some remarks on it at the last convention he did:

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNe...-on-film-work/

Gonna be a while. Maybe they'll get Ridley Scott? He seems to do about nine movies a year. Every now and then we get a 'Hannibal' or something of equal dullness. Usually good, though.

Maybe JMS will take all the ideas he had for the Great Machine and shift them over to this movie. Does anyone know why people think it was built by the Vorlons? Seems like a reasonable assumption, just wondering if there is any basis for it.

Raw Shark

"You live and learn, and then sometimes it's best to walk away."
Guns n' Roses, 'Locomotive'

Yeah, JMS had some remarks on it at the last convention he did:

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNe...-on-film-work/

Gonna be a while. Maybe they'll get Ridley Scott? He seems to do about nine movies a year. Every now and then we get a 'Hannibal' or something of equal dullness. Usually good, though.

Maybe JMS will take all the ideas he had for the Great Machine and shift them over to this movie. Does anyone know why people think it was built by the Vorlons? Seems like a reasonable assumption, just wondering if there is any basis for it.

Raw Shark

"You live and learn, and then sometimes it's best to walk away."
Guns n' Roses, 'Locomotive'

Thanks for the info!

I was under the impression that the Great Machine was built by Varn's people, since he said they'd specifically been hiding it from the outcasts of his own society.

You're welcome. I forget where I read that, but it seems a lot of fans think it was built by the Vorlons. I can't remember what Varn said, I'll have to check.

The other Great Machine, the Eye on Z'ha'dum, wasn't explored so much beyond what's in the Technomage Trilogy. But I'm curious if it, or part of it, is one of the things the Drakh and others took with them when they fled the planet? It sounded like it might be more advanced than the Great Machine, being filled with Shadow goodies and all...

I do love the mysteries, the loose ends. I remember when Foundation started doing the FX for Voyager, and they did a story about a race from another dimension that was threatening the Borg. They explained everything in the first one or two episodes, everything. So fast, so plain, like a new villain introduced in a Batman comic, where his whole story is revealed right before Batman kicks his ass, and then he's never seen again, until some writer is totally out of ideas, and he's dusted off again. Kind of like a McDonald's version of storytelling, I think. Nice FX, though. Yes, I used to watch Voyager sometimes. It was on right before Babylon, and starting out with the low first made the high much better.

Raw Shark

"Avoid self-righteousness like the Devil. Nothing is as self-blinding."
Sir B.H. Liddell Hart

You're welcome. I forget where I read that, but it seems a lot of fans think it was built by the Vorlons. I can't remember what Varn said, I'll have to check.

The other Great Machine, the Eye on Z'ha'dum, wasn't explored so much beyond what's in the Technomage Trilogy. But I'm curious if it, or part of it, is one of the things the Drakh and others took with them when they fled the planet? It sounded like it might be more advanced than the Great Machine, being filled with Shadow goodies and all...

I do love the mysteries, the loose ends. I remember when Foundation started doing the FX for Voyager, and they did a story about a race from another dimension that was threatening the Borg. They explained everything in the first one or two episodes, everything. So fast, so plain, like a new villain introduced in a Batman comic, where his whole story is revealed right before Batman kicks his ass, and then he's never seen again, until some writer is totally out of ideas, and he's dusted off again. Kind of like a McDonald's version of storytelling, I think. Nice FX, though. Yes, I used to watch Voyager sometimes. It was on right before Babylon, and starting out with the low first made the high much better.

Raw Shark

"Avoid self-righteousness like the Devil. Nothing is as self-blinding."
Sir B.H. Liddell Hart

I think I say maybe one of Voyager? I was done with Trek by that point. The one-two-three-four punch of the lame 7th season of TNG, Generations, the lame 1st season of Voyager, and how great B5 was totally killed any lingering Trekie interests I may have had.

But yeah, leaving a bit of mystery and ellipsis are good things in storytelling, and implies you've got some faith in your audience.

Was reading the Crusade script book today and noticed this in one of the early promotional scripts for the series, which implies that at least one group of the First Ones built the Great Machine:

[reformatted a bit from script form:]
August 1st 1996 Crusade Promo Script said:
MONTAGE - FIRST ONES

SHERIDAN: But there are other races, millions of years older than us. They're all gone now, passed beyond the galactic rim. But they left behind parts of their cities... [A shot of Z'ha'dum's central city.] ...their great machines... [The Great Machine on Epsilon 3, vertical energy shafts that descend five miles down into the planet's core.] ...their ships and their science. [The Sigma 957 ship, half a mile wide, confronting the White Star.]

Last edited:
Was reading the Crusade script book today and noticed this in one of the early promotional scripts for the series, which implies that at least one group of the First Ones built the Great Machine:

[reformatted a bit from script form:]
August 1st 1996 Crusade Promo Script said:
MONTAGE - FIRST ONES

SHERIDAN: But there are other races, millions of years older than us. They're all gone now, passed beyond the galactic rim. But they left behind parts of their cities... [A shot of Z'ha'dum's central city.] ...their great machines... [The Great Machine on Epsilon 3, vertical energy shafts that descend five miles down into the planet's core.] ...their ships and their science. [The Sigma 957 ship, half a mile wide, confronting the White Star.]

Hadn't heard that, nor read it. That settles that. Thank you!

I had always thought that the Great Machine on Epsilon 3 was built by First Ones but not by the Vorlons.... the Trilumiary just doesn't seem to match with other visible Vorlon technology. The triangular design did remind me a lot of the first one ship seen at Coriana 6 helping Sheriden's fleet.... the green one with a sort of 3D triangular design.... it fired multiple lightning rays from the forward focal point... I have no idea of their name though, if someone could help me out with that I'd appreciate it....
What about the race that previously inhabited the Great Machine, the one who attacked B5 in season 1.... does anyone know who they were and how they got in the Great Machine to begin with?

Pages 13-17 in that section lists the (new) First One Ships.

http://www.themadgoner.com/B5/B5Scrolls/B5Scrolls.htm#Screen2_10_13

The names are based on those created by Agents Of Gaming when they had a B5 licence for their game. (The full name for the Torvalus is Torvalus Dark Blade for example)

Apparently AoG created a book (game supplement I think) which provides a fair bit of background detail on them. If your interested, your best bet is google and a bit of searching with the names – you’ll get some information at least, and maybe a few quotes, like those found here;

http://forums.relicnews.com/printthread.php?t=38669

and here
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?p=2896414

I’m not sure if the AoG book is considered canon or not though – it’s one of those grey areas folks like to argue about. ; )

Last edited:
Hey thanks for that, i had never heard of that site before but it was cool, i think i read almost the whole site in about 45 minutes...lol

So my idea then was that Triad were the ones who built the Great Machine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back