• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A glance backward

I rewatched some episodes of the first season and noticed an alien that we don't see in the following season.It looks like a giant fly and lives in the alien sector.We see that it is something like a mafia boss in downbellow(G'Kar asked it to provide a bodyguard for him in "Parliament Of Dreams").

I thought he was more of a Mantis... maybe his wife chopped his head off and ate him! :evil::devil:

First I thought that it was a Gaim but then we see how the Gaim look like in "No Compromises".Any clues about it?

I read somewhere that Gaim ambassadors are specifically bred to be bipedal so they can interact with other interstellar species. Apparently,if this source is to be believed... the Gaim back home look more insectoid.

Actually here's one source that backs it up.

After watching "The Geometry of Shadows" again, I declare that in my opinion, the technomages were way cooler before the Technomage Trilogy came along and mucked things up.

I thought he was more of a Mantis... maybe his wife chopped his head off and ate him! :evil::devil:

Actually since that same animatronic "creature" was used as a praying mantis by John Vulich in the Buffy episode, "Teacher's Pet" you wouldn't be far off. :)

After watching "The Geometry of Shadows" again, I declare that in my opinion, the technomages were way cooler before the Technomage Trilogy came along and mucked things up.

I am the exact opposite, I thought the TM's were decent but nothing special until the TM Trilogy made them something great.

I am the exact opposite, I thought the TM's were decent but nothing special until the TM Trilogy made them something great.

I'm guessing KF is embracing his inner Sheridan... enjoying the wonder that comes from mystery. The books explain awsay so much of how the Mages work... that there's less scope for imagination and mystery.

I never thought there was much imagination or mystery behind the Mages to begin with. They use technology to simulate the effects of magic, that was known from GOS, there's really no mystery there for me.

I wonder what Techno-Mages really are.Are they humans with special abilities or simply look like humans?Are they mortal?Are there Techno-Mages from other races?

I wonder what Techno-Mages really are.Are they humans with special abilities or simply look like humans?Are they mortal?Are there Techno-Mages from other races?

Well, you've obviously not read the Techno-mage novel trilogy! :devil:

Spoiler for Techno-mage novel trilogy:
The techno-mages come from among many different races, not just human. They were created to be soldiers for the Shadows, but those that led the techno-mages learned this and decided to evacuate all the mages to a hiding place to keep them from ending up falling to use of the Shadows. The tech that the mages use to create their "magic" is Shadow technology.

Thanks for the explanation ,Vacantlook.I need to read the B5 books.It's interesting how many thing are mentioned only in the books and not in the series.The name of Ulkesh for example and many other things.

I'm guessing KF is embracing his inner Sheridan... enjoying the wonder that comes from mystery. The books explain awsay so much of how the Mages work... that there's less scope for imagination and mystery.

I don't mind the explanation of how their tech works (I rather liked it, and it ties in so neatly with the ancient Centauri legends) -- what I mind is the novels f***ing up the plot of the episodes. The Technomage ship simply doesn't explode in "Geometry." It just... doesn't. So when the books say it does, I think the actual show should win.

And don't get me started on the muddling of Sheridan's story. You read the novels and it's like the man can do nothing without Galen's help.

And don't get me started on the muddling of Sheridan's story. You read the novels and it's like the man can do nothing without Galen's help.

That is my personal biggest problem with the techno-mage trilogy -- that and the seemingly endless descriptions of Galen repetitiously burning himself. :wtf: I know Galen is the hero of the trilogy, but what the story does to Sheridan makes Galen into too much of a Mary Sue.

Last edited:
Galen needs to do 4 things:
1. Disable the planetary defences of Z'ha'dum.
2. Tell the Vorlons that Sheridan "opens unexpected windows" and that these opportunities are to be used.
3. He is to travel to Z'ha'dum on his own mission.
4. Galen is to rescue Mr Morden.

Things worth noticing about "Hunter, Prey":

Garibaldi notices a Ranger just as Sheridan notices the red ribbon. But Garibaldi also noticed something else early on... as the three command staff are leaving Bay 13, there's a faint noise, and Garibaldi glances in that direction. Just after they leave, Kosh emerges to talk to the ship (and nods in thanks to his vessel -- a small token, perhaps, of his respect for "lower" beings). The same noise is what Sheridan hears later on when he spots Kosh in the hallway.

Sheridan says Kosh almost never came to council meetings before he showed up. That does seem to be true; back in Season 1 Kosh's place was often vacant, unless Sinclair specifically asked him to come, but right at the beginning in "Revelations" Kosh is there, standing quietly in his corner, and watching.

Kosh sounds almost resigned about teaching Sheridan, as if Sheridan has badgered him into it.

On "Confessions and Lamentations":

The Minbari really need to unite with the Humans -- so they can loosen up. At least at mealtimes.

Franklin saves the Pak'ma'ra, at least, since we see several of them wandering around in the final shot... and on reflection, it seems more and more likely that the singers in "There All the Honor Lies" are indeed Pak'ma'ra. They wear similar garments.

Also in the last scene, the bartender reports a rumor that the Vorlons poisoned the Markabs. It was a theory back on the Lurker's Guide in the old days that, since the Markabs were among those who warned of growing Shadow influence, perhaps it was they who are to blame. The comment about the Vorlons does seem to hint in that direction, since at this point the Shadows were not common knowledge.

Of course, maybe these things just happen.

Last edited:
On "Confessions and Lamentations":

The Minbari really need to unite with the Humans -- so they can loosen up. At least at mealtimes.

Franklin saves the Pak'ma'ra, at least, since we see several of them wandering around in the final shot... and on reflection, it seems more and more likely that the singers in "There All the Honor Lies" are indeed Pak'ma'ra. They wear similar garments.

Also in the last scene, the bartender reports a rumor that the Vorlons poisoned the Markabs. It was a theory back on the Lurker's Guide in the old days that, since the Markabs were among those who warned of growing Shadow influence, perhaps it was they who are to blame. The comment about the Vorlons does seem to hint in that direction, since at this point the Shadows were not common knowledge.

Of course, maybe these things just happen.

I've always fully believed that the Shadows engineered the death of the Markab. It really makes the most sense when you factor in the Markab Ambassador speaking very loudly early in season 2 about ancient stories of dark ones and such.

Back