• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Gathering Commentary

Matthew

Around the 56 minute mark, John mentions to JMS that there is something "smaller than a bread box, bigger than a coke can" in The Gathering, and several other episodes, that has been in every major science fiction show known to man.

What is he referring to?

A quick google search found this page . I'm not really sure how reliable this info is cause I don't even know what an Oscillation Overthruster is...

Apparently it has something to do with moving through objects.

Well, it's Banzai, as in the war cry, not Bonsai, as in the miniature plants, but yes, the "oscillation overthruster" was in the film. In 1987, it was a "spectral analyzer" in the STNG ep Pen Pals. I don't recall where it was in B5, but perhaps some poking around on The Lurker's Guide would turn it up.

Well, it's Banzai, as in the war cry, not Bonsai, as in the miniature plants, but yes, the "oscillation overthruster" was in the film. In 1987, it was a "spectral analyzer" in the STNG ep Pen Pals. I don't recall where it was in B5, but perhaps some poking around on The Lurker's Guide would turn it up.

Oops, typo, thanks (I got the "Z" right, just not the "A")

I poked around Lurker's, and wikipedia, and I couldn't find what B5 ep had the object in it. But, I know it was discussed on this site at one time. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with the answer...

I poked around Lurker's, and wikipedia, and I couldn't find what B5 ep had the object in it. But, I know it was discussed on this site at one time. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with the answer...

I believe it should be a "cat carrier" shaped/size thing (with the rounded roof) that's metallic silver colored. Maybe some equipment of Dr. Franklin's?

Around the 56 minute mark, John mentions to JMS that there is something "smaller than a bread box, bigger than a coke can" in The Gathering, and several other episodes, that has been in every major science fiction show known to man.

What is he referring to?

I found this at figmentfly.com:

In the Spring 1998 Universe Today (Vol. 6; Issue 2), the newsletter for the Babylon 5 fan club, an interview with Bear Burge, Babylon 5's Prop Fabricator, had the following to say about the Overthruster on page 14.

"Have you every seen Buckaroo Banzai? This is the 'overthruster', an intricate piece of that film. It has since then been used for Star Trek in various incarnations: first as a Cardasian piece and then in the movie Star Trek : First Contact, where it was used as an engine component in the Phoenix. On BABYLON 5 we used one of these components in the scene where G'Kar is looking for Mr. Garibaldi, and hands him the engine piece which was scavenged from his Starfury."

OO%20auction.jpg

It is also listed in the Lurker Guide notes for the episode "Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back