• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

in the beginning question (spoilers)

Nancy

Beyond the rim
Remember the part where Sheridan, Franklin and G'Kar are captured by the Minbari and are on their ship? They probably didn't see Delenn since she had that hood on, but did she get a look at them? It didn't seem like she recognized them when the B5 series started in season 1. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think that if she did recognise them on B5 then she would not reveal this to them since they would then know that she was somehow involved and it may also give away her position as one of the Grey Council.

Also remember that Delen has made every effort to conceal her involvement in the war, especially since she feels responsible for the whole thing!

You know Sheridan G'kar and Franklin never saw Delenn's face they only heard her voice.If any of them did remember her either before her change or after it was left to only speculate. That's one question that JMS never answered .

It seems to me that in one of the books Delenn "recognized" Sheridan from the episode on the Minbari ship. I can't
find the reference at the moment, but it was only about one sentence and then passed on to something else.
Since JMS didn't write the books, it was not necessarily true.

Delenn would have known perfectly well who Sheridan was. The Minbari were aware that "Starkiller" was part of the peace mission. Of course she would take great pains to hide the fact from everyone on B5, especially Sheridan, just as she concealed her prior acquaintance with Kosh in The Gathering. (Apart from a slight slip during the reception at the end. Look at how she reacts to Kosh - very different from the way everyone else is behaving. She knows something about the Vorlons that the others don't, and JMS made sure he dropped this tiny hint at the very beginning of the show.)

I doubt she would have recognized either G'Kar or Franklin almost a dozen years later. They were an anonymous Human and Narn to her, and she didn't see them for more than a few seconds, and that from a distance.

Regards,

Joe

Well, when Sheridan arrives on the station, Delenn is still in her cocoon. After she comes out, I doubt she'd be worried about who Sheridan was. She was probably more concerned about her change and the reprocussions of it.

After she comes out, I doubt she'd be worried about who Sheridan was. She was probably more concerned about her change and the reprocussions of it.

After coming out of her cocoon and finding that her friend Jeffery Sinclair had been reassigned and that B5 had a new commander I believe she'd make it her business to find out as much as possible about John J. Sheridan. And she'd probably be very worried by what she found out.

Regards,

Joe

Sinclair was sent to Minbar at the request of Grey Council Member Rathenn head of the Religious Caste. Rathenn was obeying the prophecy that Sinclair takes over the Rangers. Either the same prophecy or a second one will have said that Sheridan will take control of Babylon 5, possibly under the name Star-Killer.

Conspiracy theory. Did the Religious Caste organise Sheridan appointment? Possibly by telepathically inserting the idea into President Clarke's mind.

There is no direct evidence for this but Minbari telepaths are members of the Religious Caste and the head of the Caste turns up on Earth. There is no honest reason for Rathenn to go to Earth since requesting Sinclair could be done through channels - via the Minbari Ambassador to Earth. Getting Sheridan would have to be obtained secretly to prevent the Warrior Caste from vetoing the appointment.

Conspiracy theory. Did the Religious Caste organise Sheridan appointment? Possibly by telepathically inserting the idea into President Clarke's mind.

Interesting idea, but I don't think so. President Clarke is very Pro Earth and wants to distance humans from other aliens. Choosing Sheridan Starkiller is the perfect choice to create a rift between the humans & Minbari.

Behind the President of course, the Shadows are really calling the shots. Remember that they were defeated 1000 years ago because the younger races fought togther. They want to make sure this does not happen this time - a classic case of divide and conquer /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I was quite amused when (in season 1), Franklin was doing an examination on Delenn and the two discussed what each other was doing during the time of the war. Franklin told the truth (as we saw in the movie) but Delenn basically acted like she had no part at all in the war, heh. I found that amusing after seeing "In the Beginning" since they'd be in the exact same room during a major point of the war. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Interesting idea, but I don't think so. President Clarke is very Pro Earth and wants to distance humans from other aliens. Choosing Sheridan Starkiller is the perfect choice to create a rift between the humans & Minbari.

This is certainly the official reason. If the Shadows did do it they ended up shooting themselves in both feet. The Vorlons would have known that Sheridan ends up captain of Babylon 5.

I was kind of under the impression that it was Santiago who tapped Sheridan for the job. Clark confirmed it because Sheridan looked like a classic military guy with next to no diplomatic skill and not enough imagination to challenge orders. Of course Santiago (who probably got Sheridan's name and a description of his true nature from Hague) knew that Clark would do this confirmation. Santiago's real reason for picking Sheridan was he knew Sheridan to be a patriot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's what JMS posted somewhere. Lurkers would probably have it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Shadows wouldn't care all that much, and the Minbari -- even the religious caste Minbari -- seem to dislike Sheridan intensely. They come around, but only after seeing that there's more to Sheridan than meets the eye. Of course, perhaps they knew he would be coming but still didn't like it.

The Vorlons would have known that Sheridan ends up captain of Babylon 5.

Perhaps, but we never find out exactly what Sinclair/Valen revealed in the prophesy. If Sheridan was mentioned then wouldn't the Minbari have acted differently when he took command of B5?

Also, Sinclair did not really know Sheridans full destiny and he did not know the outcome of the war so he would not have known if Sheridan was important or not.

His main concern was to warn of the Shadows return and to ensure that he took B4 back 1000 years to fight the war then.

I was kind of under the impression that it was Santiago who tapped Sheridan for the job.

That is explicitly stated more than once in the series, including in "Points of Departure". Sheridan's name was at the top of Santiago's list to replace Sinclair should that become necessary. So much for Minbari Telepaths. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I knew I'd seen it somewhere. I just went crawling through Lurkers looking for JMS's comment and came up empty-handed. Because it was in the show itself, and therefore didn't need explanation, except to us forgetful types.

So completely unawares, Santiago's choices and death eventually lay the foundation for the realisation of his vision and dreams. To see Earth improve relations with a myriad of alien cultures. Here is the chronology of this thinking:

Santiago is elected.
Santiago at the behest of the Minabri Government appoints Sinclair as Commander of B5, and gives him authority for thwe whole sector.
Santiago is murdered by his follically challenged rotund No.2
Sinclair is forced off thge station at the Minbari's request, Clarke probably went along with this as it helped him to split up Sinclair and Garibaldi, (Clarke knowing MG had been sniffing and if he survived would have sung like a canary to Sinclair, bringing about the chain of events that occurred under Sheridan).
Clarke appoint Sheridan (already shortlisted by Santiago)

The rest as they say is history!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back