• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

And The Difference Between The B5:TMoS Situation..

KoshN

Super Moderator
...and the Firefly/Serenity situation is?

Re. SG-1 Winks At Serenity
[....]
Serenity is based on the failed Fox TV series Firefly, which was canceled in the middle of its first season, but which went on to sell well on DVD, warranting a feature film.

Warranted a feature film <u>with stars from the TV series.</u>

B5 was more successful on TV, and has done well on DVD. I guess Universal Pictures is missing that stupid Warner Brothers policy on backing only movies that have "movie stars." and/or Serenity got made based upon the strength of Joss because of Buffy and Angel.

Wish Warner Brothers would wake up and make feature films of the "The Passing of the Techno-Mages" trilogy.

Universal owned the feature film rights to Firefly including overseas sales, DVD, games, action figures and sequels - Warner Bros. doesn't own the film rights to Babylon 5.

When the independent producers that were working with JMS on The Memory of Shadows approached Warner Bros. about a possible distribution deal, which would either give them no owneship or much less profit participation than any property Warner Bros. owned outright, WB said what they would day to pretty much any other indy film producer looking for a big distribuiton deal and production money - we can't sell it without some names.

Now - speaking as one of the people behind the "B5 bucks" campaign - I was not happy with the outcome. But when that campaign started, nobody knew that WB didn't own the film rights. It would be one thing if WB were the producing entity, had decided to do a B5 feature, and then arbitrarily decided to recast it. But that isn't what happened. I'm not happy with the outcome, but given the circumstances I can't entirely fault WB for making a rational business decision that made sense for them.

Your entire post is a "straw man" because you're arguing based on a set of "facts" that aren't facts, at all. WB was not in the position vis a vis the B5 film that you assert it was. Serenity might never have been made if Joss Whedon had owned the fllm rights and had written the script for some brand-new indy production outfit. (OK, given that both his professional and public profile are vastly higher than JMS's, he probably could have hooked up with a more established outfit that could actually come up with the money to cover the production costs of the film.)

Regards,

Joe

Now - speaking as one of the people behind the "B5 bucks" campaign - I was not happy with the outcome. But when that campaign started, nobody knew that WB didn't own the film rights. It would be one thing if WB were the producing entity, had decided to do a B5 feature, and then arbitrarily decided to recast it. But that isn't what happened. I'm not happy with the outcome, but given the circumstances I can't entirely fault WB for making a rational business decision that made sense for them.

Agreed. I don't like the outcome any more now than I did then but the decision they made did make more sense to me when we learned in JMS's post that he owns the feature film rights.

Unfortunately, recent events at the box office move the possibility of the B5 feature film further distant, too. I can't count how many times I've heard and read that the fanbase of _____FITB______ would ensure a rousing opening weekend, maybe even a blockbuster result for the studio that would just get it right and give fans what they wanted.

The Browncoats got that chance and everything I saw indicated that they were doing *everything* humanly possible to provide that success, that blockbuster. The lead-up to the release with the comics and sneak previews, the buzz, the multiple viewings, ALL of that was there and everyone was confident that Serenity would show the studios that fans really are an economic force to cater to.

But...much as I hate to say this, the movie Serenity wasn't the big box office success everybody had hoped for. From what I've heard it likely broke even and even probably made some money even before the DVD release but it wasn't the huge success that fans have always thought they could produce and it doesn't seem to have sent Universal rushing to do any sequels.

Which doesn't mean that I don't still want a B5 feature. Nor does it mean that I wouldn't work just as hard again to see that happen. And I have faith that JMS will ensure that it gets done right. I just really had looked foreward to writing to WB after Serenity was a major hit just to say "See? You can have that, too. You've got Babylon 5."

Jan

Universal owned the feature film rights to Firefly including overseas sales, DVD, games, action figures and sequels - Warner Bros. doesn't own the film rights to Babylon 5.

When the independent producers that were working with JMS on The Memory of Shadows approached Warner Bros. about a possible distribution deal, which would either give them no owneship or much less profit participation than any property Warner Bros. owned outright, WB said what they would day to pretty much any other indy film producer looking for a big distribuiton deal and production money - we can't sell it without some names.

Speaking of any <u>future</u> B5 theatrical release, e.g. "Casting Shadows," couldn't JMS and Warner Bros. negotiate a deal by which both parties would be happy, one that would include the TV cast? Or is it that neither JMS nor Warner Bros. wants to look like they want to do a movie, in order to have the upper hand, with the result being that nothing (or nothing of a decent budget) ever gets made?

It's funny (actually tragic) how something that appears to be good, like Warner Bros. letting JMS have the feature film rights to Babylon 5, comes back to bite us all in the ass.

Speaking of any <u>future</u> B5 theatrical release, e.g. "Casting Shadows," couldn't JMS and Warner Bros. negotiate a deal by which both parties would be happy, one that would include the TV cast?
ANYthing can be negotiated, I'm sure. More to the point is how likely that is to happen.
Or is it that neither JMS nor Warner Bros. wants to look like they want to do a movie, in order to get a better deal, with the result being that nothing (or nothing of a decent budget) ever gets made?
IMO, WB isn't likely to be looking beyond properties that it owns (or can buy) for the purposes of initiating a film project unless there are substantial rewards to be had that would cause them to approach JMS.

JMS also has no pressing need to approach them because the main story, the one he burned to tell, has been told. He's already done the 'schlepping around town trying to sell B5' thing and has said that people or companies who are interested in his participation need to approach him.

So, IMO, it's not a matter of posturing or one-up-manship, it's simply that nothing's happening.

It's funny (actually tragic) how something that appears to be good, like Warner Bros. letting JMS have the feature film rights to Babylon 5, comes back to bite us all in the ass.

As JMS said in his post letting us know that the project was dead, they let him have the movie rights because they figured they wouldn't be worth anything. Same exact reason why they 'gave' him profit participation, knowing that the chances of a profit on paper were infintesimal. Remember, B5 was JMS's first show as creator so there wasn't much he could hold out for in negotiations without being shown the door.

Jan

Speaking of any <u>future</u> B5 theatrical release, e.g. "Casting Shadows," couldn't JMS and Warner Bros. negotiate a deal by which both parties would be happy, one that would include the TV cast?
ANYthing can be negotiated, I'm sure. More to the point is how likely that is to happen.

Not likely at all, <u>ever</u>, if nobody is interested in taking the first step, if nobody is willing enough to look like they want to do a project.

Or is it that neither JMS nor Warner Bros. wants to look like they want to do a movie, in order to get a better deal, with the result being that nothing (or nothing of a decent budget) ever gets made?
IMO, WB isn't likely to be looking beyond properties that it owns (or can buy) for the purposes of initiating a film project unless there are substantial rewards to be had that would cause them to approach JMS.

[rhetorical]So, Warner Bros. can't buy the rights back from JMS, either in a total or a limited way?[/rhetorical]

When it comes to anything new happening in the B5 universe, it just seems like any obstacle, no matter how small or petty, is <u>insurmountable</u>.

JMS also has no pressing need to approach them because the main story, the one he burned to tell, has been told.

Supposedly, he wants to tell the rest of the Crusade story, and The Passing of the Techno-Mages ties into that.

Hawthorne High School Comic Con

Audience: Out of all your cancelled projects, which one would you like to resume first?

JMS: There's only been a couple. (laughter) He's being mean to me! Umm...Crusade. That's the obvious choice because that one was cut short...it was shot in it's cradle by unfair means and that pisses me off. So I will fix that one way or the other.

He's already done the 'schlepping around town trying to sell B5' thing and has said that people or companies who are interested in his participation need to approach him.

So, IMO, it's not a matter of posturing or one-up-manship, it's simply that nothing's happening.

Holding back and saying that people need to approach him, <u>is</u> posturing.

As JMS said in his post letting us know that the project was dead, they let him have the movie rights because they figured they wouldn't be worth anything.

<u>And they were wrong.</u> There is demand for B5. There is demand for B5 on DVD. DVD sales are a big part of the profits these days. And now, because of that initial wrong decision to let JMS have the feature film rights, they're making more wrong decisions. They're essentially doing their best to ensure that the feature film rights to B5, rights they do not currently own, <u>remain</u> worthless.

Supposedly, he wants to tell the rest of the Crusade story, and The Passing of the Techno-Mages ties into that.

Audience: Out of all your cancelled projects, which one would you like to resume first?

JMS: There's only been a couple. (laughter) He's being mean to me! Umm...Crusade. That's the obvious choice because that one was cut short...it was shot in it's cradle by unfair means and that pisses me off. So I will fix that one way or the other.

I remember. Heck, I'm the one who transcribed it. And he probably will at some point.

No, it means he's also perfectly happy to work on his other projects.

<u>And they were wrong.</u> There is demand for B5. There is demand for B5 on DVD. DVD sales are a big part of the profits these days. And now, because of that initial wrong decision to let JMS have the feature film rights, they're making more wrong decisions. They're essentially doing their best to ensure that the feature film rights to B5, rights they do not currently own, <u>remain</u> worthless.
You're ascribing emotions to a corporation that simply don't exist. They made a business decision, that's all.

BTW, your PM box is full.

Jan

I remember. Heck, I'm the one who transcribed it.

Yes, I know. :D

And he probably will at some point.

I doubt it. I doubt anybody will let him. Warner Brothers owns the rights to all but B5 feature films, and the resources are not there to fund a B5 feature film without Warner Bros. backing. Checkmate.

No, it means he's also perfectly happy to work on his other projects.

Time is not our friend.

You're ascribing emotions to a corporation that simply don't exist. They made a business decision, that's all.

Remember TNT-Atlanta suits and Crusade? You think emotions were not involved there? It's a similar situation, taking actions to prevent a previous decision from looking like a bad one.

BTW, your PM box is full.

Not anymore. Did some housecleaning.

Re: And The Difference Between The B5:TMoS Situati

Remember TNT-Atlanta suits and Crusade? You think emotions were not involved there?

Apart from some wounded pride and a bit of pique at JMS for making them look stuipid in public (which was all after the fact) there was really no emotion on TNT's side. Again, it was purely a business decision and - again - the facts on the ground were not what they seemed at the time. Neither we nor JMS learned the real story until years later. You keep dredging up your own emotional reactions to the original reports of things and treating them as facts, when the reality is quite different.

After agreeing to produce Crusade (and commiting to 22 episodes and over 25 million dollars to do so) the TNT execs in Atlanta finally got a detailed analysis of the ratings for the B5 reruns and season 5 which had so impressed them. That's when they made the horrible discovery that the show was not expanding their viewership and in some cases was losing them viewers. While lots of new eyeballs were drawn to TNT by B5 they tended to come for that show only and then change channels. They weren't sticking around to watch other TNT offering or checking out programs at other times of the day. Worse the loyal TNT fans were clciking away from [b[B5[/b] and only coming back after the show was over -most of them, anyway. Some weren't coming back. So in overall ratings terms the addition of the show was a wash, with the raw numbers virtually unchanged, while in terms of building brand loyalty B5 was actually a detriment, losing previously loyal viewers while adding no new ones. And they had just committed nearly all of their series development dollars to a sequel that might not even appeal to all the B5 fans.

Everything they did from that point on made perfect sense for TNT purely as business moves. They couldn't simply opt out of doing the show in pre-production, because they'd still have to pay Warner Bros. the whole $25 million. Ditto cancelling it once it was on the air. So they launched a two-part strategy: 1) Try to piss off JMS so much that he pulled the plug on the show and use that as an excuse to avoid the rest of the payments. 2) In case (1) didn't work, at least minimize the new show's resemblance to B5, to make it more palatable to their core audience in case they were stuck airing it. Finally they had to keep both parts of the plan secret, because otherwise it would be clear they were acting in bad faith and WB could sue them for the rest of the money anyway. (Which ultimately almost happened. The lawsuit was finally headed off when somebody way up in the T-W heirarchy realized that the shareholders were ultimately going to have to pay two armies of lawyers tens of thousands of dollars to move 9 or 10 million dollars from one of T-W's pockets to another.)

As Michael Corleone might say, "It wasn't personal. It was strictly business." :)

I think the subseuent sabotage of Sci-Fi's attempt to pick up Crusade and later to dillute the audience just before SFC started airing B5 were deliberate, and probably driven by wounded pride, as I noted above. But that wasn't a corporate decision. Things like the sale price and schedule for the B5 reruns would have been handled at much lower levels than the decision to make a series, and by much smaller numbers of people - perhaps only one, or a small committee. So given some of JMS's public comments I can see one to five people who felt insulted by what happened taking their petty revenge. Let's face it - even with the names removed lots o industry people would have known who the players at TNT had to be, and who would have written certain memos. So some of them probably felt publicly humiliated. Assuming some of them got promoted in the past 10 years they could also be responsbile for WB's editing JMS's Crusade commentary, the way Tom Cruise reportedly pressured Paramount to have Comedy Central skip a planned rerun of their South Park Scientology episode.

Regards,

Joe

Remember TNT-Atlanta suits and Crusade? You think emotions were not involved there?

Apart from some wounded pride and a bit of pique at JMS for making them look stuipid in public (which was all after the fact) there was really no emotion on TNT's side. Again, it was purely a business decision and - again - the facts on the ground were not what they seemed at the time. Neither we nor JMS learned the real story until years later. You keep dredging up your own emotional reactions to the original reports of things and treating them as facts, when the reality is quite different.

So, trying to prevent Crusade going anywhere else, and being a success there, was "purely a business decision?" (Yes, I read what you said far below, but this response was made from the top down.)

After agreeing to produce Crusade (and commiting to 22 episodes and over 25 million dollars to do so) the TNT execs in Atlanta finally got a detailed analysis of the ratings for the B5 reruns and season 5 which had so impressed them. That's when they made the horrible discovery that the show was not expanding their viewership and in some cases was losing them viewers. While lots of new eyeballs were drawn to TNT by B5 they tended to come for that show only and then change channels. They weren't sticking around to watch other TNT offering or checking out programs at other times of the day. Worse the loyal TNT fans were clicking away from [b[B5[/b] and only coming back after the show was over -most of them, anyway. Some weren't coming back. So in overall ratings terms the addition of the show was a wash, with the raw numbers virtually unchanged, while in terms of building brand loyalty B5 was actually a detriment, losing previously loyal viewers while adding no new ones. And they had just committed nearly all of their series development dollars to a sequel that might not even appeal to all the B5 fans.

That's when, <u>if you have any sense of right and wrong</u>, you try to make the best show possible, not sabotage the show by honking off the creator. You bite the bullet, make Season 1 as the show creator intends, and if the ratings are not there for your network, <u>you don't renew it.</u> You try to be <u>con</u>structive, not <u>de</u>structive and underhanded. Then, you sell it to another network that wants to buy it, and if it succeeds with a different audience, <u>fine</u>, it just wasn't the right cup of tea <u>for your audience.</u> However, you don't act like a bunch of rotten three year olds and try to sabotage the show. You're supposed to act like adults, and make honorable, above board business decisions. If TNT had left JMS alone, and had completed Season 1, the ratings probably would have been better because what aired wouldn't have been such a shambles. Also, intact and with a clear airing order and storyline, it would have been worth more to sell to another network like The Sci-Fi Channel. Acting in good faith would have been good for business (ratings and sales) and future relationships (no burned bridges). What we have because of TNT re. Crusade is scorched earth, and a franchise that is much less likely to make much more money (no future TV series, no TV movies, no feature films, etc.) for T-W. Regarding T-W, what TNT did was bad for future business.

Everything they did from that point on made perfect sense for TNT purely as business moves. They couldn't simply opt out of doing the show in pre-production, because they'd still have to pay Warner Bros. the whole $25 million. Ditto cancelling it once it was on the air. So they launched a two-part strategy: 1) Try to piss off JMS so much that he pulled the plug on the show and use that as an excuse to avoid the rest of the payments. 2) In case (1) didn't work, at least minimize the new show's resemblance to B5, to make it more palatable to their core audience in case they were stuck airing it. Finally they had to keep both parts of the plan secret, because otherwise it would be clear they were acting in bad faith and WB could sue them for the rest of the money anyway.

(Which ultimately almost happened. The lawsuit was finally headed off when somebody way up in the T-W heirarchy realized that the shareholders were ultimately going to have to pay two armies of lawyers tens of thousands of dollars to move 9 or 10 million dollars from one of T-W's pockets to another.)

So, acting in bad faith is a business virtue? The ends justify the means, no matter what?

As Michael Corleone might say, "It wasn't personal. It was strictly business." :)

It was rotten, pure and simple. It was behavior that shouldn't have been considered by anybody who has any ethics at all.

I think the subsequent sabotage of Sci-Fi's attempt to pick up Crusade and later to dillute the audience just before SFC started airing B5 were deliberate, and probably driven by wounded pride, as I noted above. But that wasn't a corporate decision. Things like the sale price and schedule for the B5 reruns would have been handled at much lower levels than the decision to make a series, and by much smaller numbers of people - perhaps only one, or a small committee. So given some of JMS's public comments I can see one to five people who felt insulted by what happened taking their petty revenge. Let's face it - even with the names removed lots o industry people would have known who the players at TNT had to be, and who would have written certain memos. So some of them probably felt publicly humiliated.

As so they should have been. The humiliation was richly deserved.

Assuming some of them got promoted in the past 10 years they could also be responsbile for WB's editing JMS's Crusade commentary, the way Tom Cruise reportedly pressured Paramount to have Comedy Central skip a planned rerun of their South Park Scientology episode.

I kind of doubt that. It was probably just legal nervousness.

Hollywood continues to decline in substance and content, imho. Most of the films today are dumbed-down and full of stereotypical garbage that execs are still regurgitating from 15 years ago. These jokes aren't funny anymore. Audiences are smarter, and more saavy than they were a few decades ago, yet films seem to be going in the opposite direction. Names may help to sell SOME movies, but I can list you a handful of supposed "A-stars" who have been box-office poison the last 5 or 6 years.

As for whether or not Serenity was a success, hell yes it was a success. The fact that movie was made, released and broke even is, in my eyes, a huge accomplishment. Consider the fact that it didn't even finish out a full 22-episode season and the fact that Fox borked things up in rearranging the viewing order. I think it accomplished great things for a "little engine that could." But, I don't think it has quite the same fan base than Babylon 5 has.

B5 ran for 5 years and its dvd sales have been making the top 10 on Amazon lists upon release.

While I would love to see a B5 movie on the big screen, but I would also settle for a t.v. movie / mini-series on cable, or a straight to DVD type thing. I just want my B5. I don't care what form it comes in. I've read the books, watched the shows. I'm ready for anything the B5 universe is willing to give me.

=)

To be honest, I kind of agree with Alluveal. The idea of a theatrical film appealed to merely, because it would be a new jump start for the franchise if it went well, but, I don't really think a Feature Film would be my first choice, that would only be a 2 hour venture into the universe. I would prefer a new series, or mini-series, or even a new series of books, where a longer story ( or more stories) could be told. A feature film would actually be my last choice

But when that campaign started, nobody knew that WB didn't own the film rights.

I thought the fact JMS held the rights to the feature film was common knowledge long prior to this.

No, we knew that the rights had been optioned and a script commissioned for him to write but it was only in the post where he told us that the project had dead-ended that he mentioned that he held the rights to the feature film.

Jan

Interesting debate here guys. Issues over Crusade aside, we as a fanbase obviously have to take into account what happened over Serenity and realise that as Hollywood is at the moment, a movie ain't going to happen for a while. I'd prefer some sort of TV revival but after LOTR, that two is probably a while of.

JMS is busy with Marvel and his supposed two TV projects (of which we hear little). To be honest, I think he might well prefer to be seen as 'MR SPIDERMAN' over 'MR B5', and given how things are with three failed B5 projects, I can understand that. Ultimately, a lot depends on his attitude. His waiting for people to come to him does sound a little like posturing to me as well, but its possibly out of personal exhaustion with B5 and said three failures. He could chase B5 till he falls ill, but has better things to do. And I for one, can hardly blame him.

we also have to be realistic about B5 in the TV/ movie market. DVD sales to an established fanbase are one thing, but opening up a new auidence for a ten year old show is quite another. With a market that does not even support Trek at the moment, let alone a continuation of the uber hyped Serenity, its going to be tough. Sci-fi is moving towards the Lost/ Taken model, real people in real life situations. Whilst the characters in B5 were all to real to us, to a new audience may find the rubber faces and space based settings a little hard to swallow. BSG and its non-aliens/ normal costume policy is the exception to the rule on this.

Interesting debate here guys. Issues over Crusade aside, we as a fanbase obviously have to take into account what happened over Serenity

"Serenity" not being a BIG success (which I define as making back its money based upon US box office sales alone), has certainly almost destroyed the odds of a B5 feature film being worthwhile for Hollywood. Parallels will be drawn whether or not their applicable. I don’t think they’re applicable (but I don't count because I’m not a TV/film industry suit) because B5 probably has a more extensive fanbase and was on TV for a lot longer time. Firefly was only on FOX for 11 weeks, and it was presented in a jumbled order. Were it not for the Buffy/Angel/Joss fans, and Joss being STRONGLY behind the projects, Firefly would have gone away without any fanfare and “Serenity” never would have happened.

...and realise that as Hollywood is at the moment, a movie ain't going to happen for a while. I'd prefer some sort of TV revival but after LOTR, that two is probably a while off.

You are much more optimistic than I. Awhile? JMS has got lots of stuff on the burner, and time is marching on and not being very friendly to all of us. Awhile? More like never. It’ll probably be at least 10 to 20 years before anything makes Hollywood sit up, take notice, and rethink their position, and then a B5 project almost certainly will not be a possibility or even get considered. At this point, in April 2006, we’d be <u>incredibly</u> lucky, virtually “won the lottery jackpot lucky,” to get a commitment for the production of canon mass market novels (like the Del Rey trilogies) to finish off the Crusade story.

JMS is busy with Marvel and his supposed two TV projects (of which we hear little). To be honest, I think he might well prefer to be seen as 'MR SPIDERMAN' over 'MR B5', and given how things are with three failed B5 projects, I can understand that. Ultimately, a lot depends on his attitude.

His waiting for people to come to him does sound a little like posturing to me as well, but its possibly out of personal exhaustion with B5 and said three failures. He could chase B5 till he falls ill, but has better things to do. And I for one, can hardly blame him.

Compared to the fire that Joss had behind Serenity, JMS seems 99% burned out. Without that force behind a project, it’s not going to happen.

we also have to be realistic about B5 in the TV/ movie market. DVD sales to an established fanbase are one thing, but opening up a new audience for a ten year old show is quite another.

All it needs is exposure, <u>but it’s not going to get it.</u> The trouble is, to new people, we’ll sound like old fogies trying to push the idea of a continuation of old BSG, back before the possibility of new BSG was ever announced by Sci-Fi. They’ll look at the ship explosion effects of say “Midnight on the Firing Line” and equate them to the bad, often recycled effects of old BSG. Our jumping off point would be the effects of B5 Season 5/Crusade, not “Midnight on the Firing Line,” but that’s not where new viewers start watching, and the Crusade debacle doesn’t help either. If JMS had been able to tell the story of one complete season of Crusade, that would be different, but TNT saw to that not happening.

With a market that does not even support Trek at the moment,...

Let us not forget that Enterprise was one sorry excuse of a Trek series, especially in Seasons 1 & 2. Ditto for Voyager, except that Voyager had seven sorry seasons. Personally, I am sick to death of Trek, and that includes the name Trek, the Trek look of everything being clean brushed metal, the Trek reset button, the old tired Trek writers, and the Trek PC-ness. To me, a new Trek series is about as appealing an idea as eating nothing but a plain baked potato (no salt, no butter, no sour cream, I mean <u>plain</u>.) for breakfast, lunch and supper, every day for the next seven years.

...let alone a continuation of the uber hyped Serenity,

It may have been uberhyped, but it was only based upon a 11 episodes (“Serenity”- the Firefly pilot on TV, I count as one episode.) that aired in the Fall of 2002 plus 3 that were never aired and were seen only on DVD, and what a blah title.

...its going to be tough.

For a B5 feature film or revival of the unfinished Crusade storyline on TV? No, not tough, ...impossible.

Sci-fi is moving towards the Lost/ Taken model, real people in real life situations. Whilst the characters in B5 were all to real to us, to a new audience may find the rubber faces and space based settings a little hard to swallow. BSG and its non-aliens/ normal costume policy is the exception to the rule on this.

Don’t forget Firefly/Serenity in that model. It too had no non-human looking aliens.

It too had no non-human looking aliens.

It had human-looking aliens? 'Cause I remember only humans and one upside down mutant cow.

It too had no non-human looking aliens.

It had human-looking aliens? 'Cause I remember only humans and one upside down mutant cow.

Yeah, you're right, and I don't remember the cow.

Back