• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'Time's' 100 Greatest Novels

Re: \'Time\'s\' 100 Greatest Novels

Hm .. nine here (plus quite a few things that have been on my "need to get around to at some point" list for a while).

More than I thought, really, seeing as most of my "critically acclaimed" English-language reading material tends to be stuff published before 1923.

More than I thought, really, seeing as most of my "critically acclaimed" English-language reading material tends to be stuff published before 1923.

That fits. Many of the The Times readers were born before 1923.

I've read 6 on that list. All for high school assignments. :p

Nine for sure, one I can't remember if I got all the way through and I have two more in the house but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Jan

My god, I've actually read 12 of them. That's far more than I expected.

And I, too, read many of them in high school literature classes, so I'm not sure if that counts. :eek: :LOL:

I've read nineteen of them, which surprised me, too! Mind you, if I hadn't read a lot of Raymand Chandler and Dashiell Hammett when I was younger, that would have knocked 2 off :)

My complete list is:

Animal Farm
The Big Sleep
Catch-22
The Catcher in the Rye
The French Lieutenant's Woman
Gone With the Wind
The Grapes of Wrath
The Great Gatsby
I, Claudius
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Lord of the Flies
The Lord of the Rings
Lucky Jim
Portnoy's Complaint
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie
Red Harvest
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Spy Who Came in From the Cold

Wow. I've only read 5 on that list. And only 2 of those were ones that I liked (Lord of the Rings and Lord of the Flies). Oh well. Sounds like quite the elitist b.s. list to me

I've only read 11, but I've seen movie version of like a dozen more. I'm edumacated.

"The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" made an excellent movie. I notice a lot on that list were made into movies.

I've read:

Animal Farm
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret
A Clockwork Orange
The Grapes of Wrath
The Great Gatsby
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Lord of the Flies
Lord of the Rings
One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest
Slaughterhouse-Five
To Kill a Mockingbird

I may also have read "The Sun Also Rises" and "Invisible Man" but I can't recall for certain. :eek:

Much to my surprise, I've read 14. There was nothing I'm familiar with that I think is awful. They list two Thomas Pynchon books, and although The Crying of Lot 49 is interesting, and enjoyable, it pales in comparison to V, which is not on the list. I'm sure we could all come up with ones left off. And, like GKE, I have seen bunches more on film.

I've read 12 completely, and am "culturally aware" of about half of the others.

Thing is, what were their criteria? Lists like these are so subjective.

And can you explain to me how the 100 greatest novels of ALL TIME can be restricted to post 1923?

It's not elitist bs, its pseudo-elitist bs.

:)

VB

I don't think they were saying that the 100 best novels ever were all written since 1923, but were just limiting the field to the 100 best since 1923. That exact date does seem arbitrary, and I didn't search the link to see if they offered a rationale for that particular year being the cutoff.

Nine for me, although I really need to reread the Pynchon. It was way over my head last time.

Some decent stuff on that list, I'll grant them that. But yeah, also a lot of stuff I'd never bother touching.

10 for me, which I was surprised, I think about 5 of them were required reading in School.

16 for me, not many suprises. Good to see Watchman on there, it was probably one of the best things ever written in the 80's. It tops the Readers choice as well.

That fits. Many of the The Times readers were born before 1923.

Hmmm ... I think yo'll find it is actually Time Magazine rather than The Times.

:D

And it has picked 1923 because that it when Time Magazine was first published.

Makes sense to me.

5 here .. could be worse, considering that I didn't really have English literature in school, I read all I've read on my own initiative :D .. and still have German literature to feel all superior about :p ;)

I've read:

Catch-22
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Lord of the Flies
The Lord of the Rings

Animal Farm and Slaughterhouse Five are two more on the list I have been planning to read for years but just always had something else to read first.

39, counting novels I started reading then threw across the room because they were such utter crap. No list that takes seriously sub-literates like Toni Morrison and Jonathan Franzen (to select just two incredibly overrated "writers" who can scarcely write an English sentence, much less a believable character) or socialogical screeds disguised (barely) as fiction deserves to be taken seriously itself. And let's not even talk about the inclusion of Judy Blume... Why not just add Harold Robbins and Jacqueline Susanne and be done with it?

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Back