• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What books are we reading now?

Alrighty now, I'm gonna go waaaaaaaay off current subject here. Hmmmmm....... What books am I reading now?
I am a huge Timothy Zahn fan. I recently read: Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command and I intend to tackle Specter Of The Past, also Vision Of The Future.
* I thought R.A. Salvatore did a pretty good job on his novelization of
Attack Of The Clones.

Alrighty now, I'm gonna go waaaaaaaay off current subject here. Hmmmmm....... What books am I reading now?
I am a huge Timothy Zahn fan. I recently read: Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command and I intend to tackle Specter Of The Past, also Vision Of The Future.
* I thought R.A. Salvatore did a pretty good job on his novelization of
Attack Of The Clones.

Zahn is great. He's also done some non Star Wars sci-fi. The name of the series escapes me, but try and check it out.

Two non-SW series, as far as I know... there are the Blackcollar books and the Cobra series (although forget the third one of those). Most of his books are stand-alone. The Icarus Hunt is a lot of fun.

Thrawn remains his greatest creation, however, and he's finally writing more.

Here is a complete list of his books.The Thrawn trilogy was rather enjoyable :)

Blackcollar Series
The Blackcollar (1983)
The Backlash Mission (1986)
The Judas Solution (2006)
Both The Blackcollar and The Backlash Mission were released in one joint novel titled Blackcollar in 2006.

Cobra Series

Cobra (1986)
Cobra Strike
Cobra Bargain (1988)
The first two were also released in one compilation called Cobras Two in 1992. A complete compilation was released as the Cobra Trilogy in 2004. See COBRA (science fiction novels) for more detail.

Conquerors Trilogy

Conquerors' Pride (1994)
Conquerors' Heritage (1995)
Conquerors' Legacy (1996)

Star Wars

The Thrawn Trilogy

Heir to the Empire (1991)
Dark Force Rising (1992)
The Last Command (1993)

The Hand of Thrawn duology
Specter of the Past (1997)
Vision of the Future (1998)

Other Star Wars novels

Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand - a graphic novel with Michael A. Stackpole (1999)
Fool's Bargain (2004) (eBook)
Survivor's Quest (2004)
Outbound Flight (2006)
Allegiance (Release in January 2007)

Dragonback Series

Dragon and Thief (2003)
Dragon and Soldier (2004)
Dragon and Slave (2005)
Dragon and Herdsman (2006)
Dragon and Judge (2007)

Other novels

A Coming of Age (1985)
Triplet (1987)
Spinneret (1985)
Deadman Switch (1988)
War Horse (1990)
The Icarus Hunt (1999)
Angelmass (2001)
Manta's Gift (2002)
Green and the Gray (2004)
Night Train to Rigel (2005)

Collections

Cascade Point and Other Stories (1986)
Time Bomb and Zahndry Others (1988)
Distant Friends and Other Stories (1992)
Star Song and Other Stories (2002)

Wow.......:eek: that's quite the list of novels, very impressive! :D If you want to make that list even more complete, I seem to recall in the 80's a entire series of novels about the misadventures of some wayward souls in the regions of Hell. It had John Wayne, Bruce Lee, M. Monroe and an all star cast of others. I don't know if the novels were supposed to be a comedy or serious. Never stopped long enough to read it though I ended up getting into Timothy Zahn years and years latter.

Any whoooo, didn't know there was a book just about the Emperors Hand. That is very exciting I always wanted to know more about Mara Jade's past written by the hand of Timothy Zahn. COOLNESS!!!

Two questions:
(1.) There is a bit of a confusion on the proper way to pronounce Mara Jade. :confused: Is it Mara Jadd or is it pronounced Jade like the color Jade.
Because I know that in the Star Wars universe, often names are pronounced different then they may look.

(2.) Is Lucas going to transfer any of his novels to the new Star Wars t.v. show and will Mara Jade be in it? That would be stellar. :cool:

I always pronounced it jade,as in the stone,in my head as I read the books.

No idea about Jade in the series though.

Wow.......:eek: that's quite the list of novels, very impressive! :D If you want to make that list even more complete, I seem to recall in the 80's a entire series of novels about the misadventures of some wayward souls in the regions of Hell. It had John Wayne, Bruce Lee, M. Monroe and an all star cast of others. I don't know if the novels were supposed to be a comedy or serious. Never stopped long enough to read it though I ended up getting into Timothy Zahn years and years latter.

Any whoooo, didn't know there was a book just about the Emperors Hand. That is very exciting I always wanted to know more about Mara Jade's past written by the hand of Timothy Zahn. COOLNESS!!!

Two questions:
(1.) There is a bit of a confusion on the proper way to pronounce Mara Jade. :confused: Is it Mara Jadd or is it pronounced Jade like the color Jade.
Because I know that in the Star Wars universe, often names are pronounced different then they may look.

(2.) Is Lucas going to transfer any of his novels to the new Star Wars t.v. show and will Mara Jade be in it? That would be stellar. :cool:

What we've heard so far, I believe is that the series will focus on a minor character from the movies. I haven't read a single "extended universe" book for SW. Is she connected to a minor character from the movies?

Is she connected to a minor character from the movies?
Mara Jade used to be a spy for Darth Sidious during the period of Luke Skywalkers young life. Her nickname was The Emperiors Hand. When Palpatine (Sidious) died in 'Return of the Jedi' Mara Jade went on to be a mercenary on planet Myrkr working for a guy by the name of Karrde. But her loss of her job with the Emperor was never forgotten and her hatred for Luke Skywalker burned
HTML:
spoiler alert
thus the book the last command where she battles Luke. But they of coarse latter fall for each other and marry.:cool: Yeah!!! I'm a sap for happy endings. :D

Ah, I had forgotten the Conquerors trilogy! That's some of his best.
Really? Now you've got me curious perhaps I'll have to delve into this conquers trilogy... :) Heah any book with Bruce Lee and John Wayne in it has to be pretty darn good, right? :cool: I love both those people. :D Lee is my martial arts idol and John Wayne reminds me of my Dad.

I read a graphic novel years ago "Who Killed Captain Kirk?" - yep - "Star Trek".
In one part of the plot, there is a telepath on board the 'Enterprise' who had been reading "Dante's Inferno" He falls asleep while reading it, dreams about it. Trouble is, his dreams affects almost everyone else on the 'Enterprise', and they all find themselves stuck in "Dante's Inferno" Everyone finds it pretty creepy - except for Spock. He runs into Homer, Plato and Aristotle [or some very famous Greek philosphers], and Kirk has to practically drag him away, as Spock wants to stay and debate with them.

I haven't read any really deep books lately. Right now, I am reading 'Skinny Dip' by Carl Hiaasen. It's the craziest thing I have read in a while. It's set in Florida. It's about a woman who gets thrown overboard from an ocean liner by her husband. Somehow, she manages to survive - by clinging to a floating bale of marajuana, and gets rescued. Instead of going to the police, however, she decides to get revenge on her scumbag husband. The book is full of the wackiest characters - ie the Vietnam vet who wanders around the Florida Everglades wearing a shower cap.

Slaughterhouse Five is a fave of mine, and a lot of other folks.

Currently enjoying American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I need to read more of his stuff. This would also fit the mini-series format perfectly...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back