B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 15th 13, 02:41   #1
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Season 5: List of grievances

Most everyone hates Season 5, or simply feels it's a huge disappointment. And if you ask most people why, their answer is "Byron." I don't think that's really fair, because honestly, he's just the most consistent problem in a problematic season. He attracts the blame simply because he's, well, he's Jar Jar, really. Not the worst thing going on by a longshot, but he's become the icon for everything that did go wrong.

Here's my grievances, in no particular order.

1) The endless and boring Telepath/Lyta/Byron thing.
2) No Ivonova
3) No Marcus, either..
4) Barely any Lannier.
5) A preponderance of 2-part episodes that really shouldn't be 2-part episodes.
6) A preponderance of 'why bother?' stories that might have worked in the first season, but come on, man, it's a little late in the game to be pulling this crap.
7) The Drakh/Centauri plot feels really drawn out, partially because it is, but partially because it's annoying in this instance to know more than our heroes. When they finally figure it out, it's not "Holy crap!" as with mysteries in the past of the show, it's more like "FINALLY they got it. When did these people get so stupid?"
8) Make-work plots for Londo and G'kar in the first 2/3rds of the season. ("Oh, let's have them bicker like an old married couple again! And have them travel together because that isn't tedious or stupid at all!")
9) Too many dangling threads. (Telepath War, Drakh, Lannier Goes Bad, etc)
10) Generally inferior writing, and generally less structured writing.
11) Shortened production schedule.
12) A lack of JMS' undivided attention. He wasn't just working on the show, he was setting up Crusade and those useless movies.
13) Crappy sets. Seriously, was there a studio fire?

Basically 7 episodes revolve around the teeps to a greater or lesser extent, another 7 are utterly inconsequential. I do genuinely really like the last 7, though.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th 13, 05:39   #2
JonFrain
Commander

Re: Season 5: List of grievances

Too many to list them all.

Tracy Scoggins is a bad actress and played a boring character.

Byron and the telepaths was a HUGE mistake.

The arcs weren't particularly compelling except part of the Drakh/Centauri arc. It was like I was watching a show written by someone else.

Last edited by JonFrain; September 15th 13 at 05:47.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th 13, 12:09   #3
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
Tracy Scoggins is a bad actress and played a boring character.
Mediocre actress playing a completely undefined, slapped-together character, but the end result is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
The arcs weren't particularly compelling except part of the Drakh/Centauri arc. It was like I was watching a show written by someone else.
Yeah, it was. It was like "THe Babylon 5 Poor Quality Fanfic Season."

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)

Last edited by Republibot 3.0; September 15th 13 at 18:13.
Old September 15th 13, 13:23   #4
Jan
Psi Cop

Watch your quoting. I didn't say anything like what you've attached my name to above. Edit it, please.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th 13, 18:14   #5
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Watch your quoting. I didn't say anything like what you've attached my name to above. Edit it, please.

Jan
Sorry. Fixed. Insofar as I can tell. as some of you may recall, I don't really know how to drive this system all that well.

Kevin Long
Old September 15th 13, 20:17   #6
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Most everyone hates Season 5, or simply feels it's a huge disappointment.
What'd you do, take a poll? Before Byron and his freshly shampooed followers were gone, the season wasn't very good. After he went up in flames (Yay! ), the season dramatically improved.

Quote:
And if you ask most people why, their answer is "Byron." I don't think that's really fair, because honestly, he's just the most consistent problem in a problematic season. He attracts the blame simply because he's, well, he's Jar Jar, really. Not the worst thing going on by a longshot, but he's become the icon for everything that did go wrong.
No, he's the reason. After Byron was toast, Season 5 recovered to near Season 4 levels of quality. --> CENTAURI ARC.

Quote:
Here's my grievances, in no particular order.

1) The endless and boring Telepath/Lyta/Byron thing.
The half season Telepath thing.

Quote:
2) No Ivonova
3) No Marcus, either..
Well, you can thank CLAUDIA CHRISTIAN for that! That was the biggest monkeywrench thrown into the well oiled B5 mechanism. THAT resulted in back to square one re. scripts. THAT resulted in Tracy Scoggins being cast. CLAUDIA was the pebble that caused the avalanche that buried us all.

Quote:
4) Barely any Lannier.
LENNIER. ...or he'll hit you upside the head with his Minbari fighting pike.

Quote:
Basically 7 episodes revolve around the teeps to a greater or lesser extent, another 7 are utterly inconsequential. I do genuinely really like the last 7, though.
No. Basically, once Byron and his annoying followers were gone, Season 5 was perfectly fine (except for Lyta mind-controlling everybody in the Zocolo and Lochley knocking her out.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; September 15th 13 at 20:20.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th 13, 20:52   #7
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
Quote:
Most everyone hates Season 5, or simply feels it's a huge disappointment.
What'd you do, take a poll? Before Byron and his freshly shampooed followers were gone, the season wasn't very good. After he went up in flames (Yay! ), the season dramatically improved.
I kinda' lived the poll. THere were like 20 of us, fanatical about the show, had been for years, and when season 5 started, we started to drift away. Most stayed to the end, but by mid-season we'd mostly stopped caring. And if you ask any of my friends, it's always "Byron."

Quote:
No, he's the reason. After Byron was toast, Season 5 recovered to near Season 4 levels of quality. --> CENTAURI ARC.
I do believe the season recovered, and I do believe it was in the final 7 when the Centauri arc hit full strength, but too little too late.

Quote:
Well, you can thank CLAUDIA CHRISTIAN for that! That was the biggest monkeywrench thrown into the well oiled B5 mechanism. THAT resulted in back to square one re. scripts. THAT resulted in Tracy Scoggins being cast. CLAUDIA was the pebble that caused the avalanche that buried us all.
Yeah. No argument. Though asigning blame isn't the same as simply listing problems, which I'm more interested in at this exact moment. I totally agree that she screwed everything up, but at the same time, I have no faith S5 woulda' been all that great even if she'd been there.

Quote:
No. Basically, once Byron and his annoying followers were gone, Season 5 was perfectly fine (except for Lyta mind-controlling everybody in the Zocolo and Lochley knocking her out.
I dunno. Mack N' Bo, the whole Hyach/Hyach Do thing, "Let's Rescue Na'Toth," Londo's heart attack, and YET ANOTHER mad bomber plot. That feels like running on fumes to me. And some feel like leftovers.

Did I ever tell you I thing the Hyach plot was originally intended fo rthe Centauri away back in season 1 or 2?

Kevin Long
Old September 17th 13, 20:08   #8
Lyta's Shadow
Lurker

The biggest cringe moment for me was the cliche of having that mute boy suddenly finding his voice to shout out the danger. Wasn't that No Compromises?
Lyta's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th 13, 01:35   #9
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta's Shadow View Post
The biggest cringe moment for me was the cliche of having that mute boy suddenly finding his voice to shout out the danger. Wasn't that No Compromises?
Ugh. Yes. Horrible. The fact that they called him "Special Simon" made it even worse somehow.

Kevin Long
Old September 18th 13, 02:26   #10
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Did I ever tell you I thing the Hyach plot was originally intended fo rthe Centauri away back in season 1 or 2?
Of course, there's no evidence of that at all, despite considerable notes discovered in JMS' storage units and published in the various script books. It's also not mentioned at all in the League on Non-Alligned Worlds document written by Larry DiTillio.

Jna
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote