• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Anybody Excited by the Robocop reboot.

eni6ma

I have not seen anything on it, have no clue what they are planning but I hope they got a tight story.

I am a HUGE Robocop fan.
What some people seem to forget, especially because of the goddamn sequels and such, is that the movie was as satire. And you know if they do another Robocop movie, it will lose that key element.

Just more evidence of the creative bankruptcy of Hollywood these days. Yeah, count me on the side that says no thanks. Sure, Dark Knight is fantastic for an example of current product, but the saying "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again" comes to mind..

I must admit that I am tried of reboots, but robocop was a favorite movie. #2 was decent the others should have been left on the cutting room floor. I will still give it a chance until I hear what they are planning and then decide if I will see it. :thumbsup:

It's a remake I'd take a look at. Make him sleeker and less stupid though, more modern.. could be good.

I'm almost to the point of not getting excited about ANY "reboot." Seems that is all that is going on these days. While there are a couple good ones, there are FAR more bad ones. This is one I am not looking forward to. I agree with GKE. The great thing about Robocop to me was the satire and just how brutally it slammed corporate america. I really doubt they would try to attempt that same thing...rather they are likely to make this a "serious" Robocop. That in itself would just ruin it for me.

Its like trying to make a serious Starship Troopers.

Btw, given Blackwater et al, how prescient was Robocop's portrayal of relegating police work to private interests? Yes, I know Blackwater is military, not police, but it's the same idea.
Now there's an idea for a modern movie: RoboSoldier. Though that sounds pretty cheesy...

I am a HUGE Robocop fan.
What some people seem to forget, especially because of the goddamn sequels and such, is that the movie was as satire. And you know if they do another Robocop movie, it will lose that key element.

Indeed. Only Starship Troopers came close to capturing the same satirical tones.

"RoboCop" is coming out of retirement courtesy of director Darren Aronofsky and writer David Self.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ifcce08ba05c71072bc1d17c5ebf4425f

Aronofsky did Pi and Requiem For A Dream before The Fountain, cult indy favorites. Cool flicks, but the Fountain was corny, IMO.

The tone and feel would be similar to the first movie.

Hey, you know what else is similar to the first movie? THE FIRST MOVIE!

In resuscitating the MGM brand, Parent and company have been looking to the studio's library for ripe remake material. Revamps of "Red Dawn," "Fame," "Poltergeist" and "Death Wish" are all in the works.

In other news, Ron Reagan will be our president in 2012 and leg warmers will be in fashion.

As if 50s or 60s nostalgia wasn't lame enough, how can I even deal with 80s nostalgia?

As if 50s or 60s nostalgia wasn't lame enough, how can I even deal with 80s nostalgia?

The thing that annoys me is that they dress it up as a "trend" when really it's just a way of cashing on people's childhood. People who grew up in the 80's (credit crunch aside) are those who now have disposable incomes that are ripe for exploitation.

Reckon they'll ever dare muck with B5 when JMS finally departs this mortal coil?

The thing that annoys me is that they dress it up as a "trend" when really it's just a way of cashing on people's childhood. People who grew up in the 80's (credit crunch aside) are those who now have disposable incomes that are ripe for exploitation.

Reckon they'll ever dare muck with B5 when JMS finally departs this mortal coil?

nope, i don't think it was popular enough.

on a similar note GKE as far as i am concerned they can do what they want with red dawn, it sucked balls.

Last edited:
And "Fame" I could give two shits about. Death Wish...had to imagine without Charles Bronson...but then again, Death Wish 2 though like, 12, sort of ruined any fondness I had for that series.

Just more evidence of the creative bankruptcy of Hollywood these days. Yeah, count me on the side that says no thanks. Sure, Dark Knight is fantastic for an example of current product, but the saying "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again" comes to mind..

Except it would be grossly irrelevant to compare a remake of a 20 year old movie with a couple of sequels to a new series of Batman movies with decades of comics, in a number of different styles, to back them up. How many times has Batman been "rebooted" in the comics? Don't know, but even my meagre comic collection has at least three different Batman origin stories in it.

I don't mind Death Wish and Red Dawn being re-made, as long as the N.R.A. pays for it.

In their own blood, I hope... ;)

Yeah, with Darren Aronofsky directing, there is a possibility it will be good. Perhaps the satire will move from humorous, and fairly light, to dark, brooding, and bitter.

He's quite a good director to attach to something like this. Glad it is not being given to Steve Sommers or the lame McG. Imagine what would happen if that hack got his hands on a once great franchise like Robocop, Aliens or Terminator ?

Oh, wait ...

I can't disagree that so much is financially motivated, but let's not forget that those same people from the 80s are now in power behind the camera. JJ Abrams and Star Trek is a case in point. It's a rebootish, but he's a total fan boy. Joss Whedon wanting to do Wonderwoman is another.

Like I've said about all remakes, reboots, or reimaginings, I have no problem with them. They are no different than any original movies in that some are great, some are good, some are bad, and some are downright awful. Besides, I have never bought the argument about remakes somehow being a sign of Hollywood being unoriginal. There are only so many basic stories that can be told, and because of that every movie that comes out whether an "original" or a "remake" is one of those basic stories told in a different way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back