• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Torchwood.... (spoilers!)

Re: Torchwood.... (spoliers!)

It is time someone told the BBC that Torchwood would have a Canadian branch. It would have a French name but it would have a Canadian branch/sister organisation.

I ressurected this old thread because Torchwood has just started running on BBC America, and I have seen the first two eps. So far, I prefer Dr. Who, but I will keep watching, for at least a few more eps.

But, I have a question. I am getting it in mono! Dr. Who is in stereo on BBC America, and so are some of the commercials during Torchwood! Do you who watched it from the first ep in the UK remember if it was in stereo then? Is it in stereo now? I'm rather puzzled by this...

I missed the first episode, but I saw "Day One" over the weekend. Wasn't particularly enthralled by it.

If they try and make Captain Jack into some kind of enigma like The Doctor, I'll really dislike it.

In Dr. Who, he seemed kind of world-weary, and enigmatic.

In Torchwood, he seems like a college kid on spring break.

As far as I know everything was in stereo.

Torchwood is not a patch on Dr.Who and overall I was disapointed.Even the odd lesbian snog couldn't keep me going with this.I have no idea why,especially considering how much I enjoyed Jack coming back to Who.

Made a good sidekick but crap series as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't get HDNET. But, now I have one more thing to add to the list of reasons why I wish I did...

I have now watched the first four episodes of Torchwood on BBCAmerica, and the first 3 showed some promise and were interesting (definitely worth the time to watch, but, not fantastic). Cyberwoman, the fourth episode took the show up a level in my eyes, I really thought it was good.

I have now watched the first four episodes of Torchwood on BBCAmerica, and the first 3 showed some promise and were interesting (definitely worth the time to watch, but, not fantastic). Cyberwoman, the fourth episode took the show up a level in my eyes, I really thought it was good.

I think it's been suggested here before that the creative team may have deliberately set out to be overly adult at the expense of characterisation/plot in the first few episodes, as a way to make it absolutely clear that this was a more adult show than Doctor Who and kids should not be watching...

... which is not a good way to start.

Though having said that, BSG's mini series leaned a lot that way... it's just that the drama was handled better.

I'm getting confused by this entire thread because I'm waiting for season 2.

I think it's been suggested here before that the creative team may have deliberately set out to be overly adult at the expense of characterisation/plot in the first few episodes, as a way to make it absolutely clear that this was a more adult show than Doctor Who and kids should not be watching...

... which is not a good way to start.

Though having said that, BSG's mini series leaned a lot that way... it's just that the drama was handled better.

I'm getting confused by this entire thread because I'm waiting for season 2.

It could very well have ended up being a mistake. I remember last week stating on another board that the show was fun, but, I was hoping they weren't going to concentrate more on being "adult" then on being good SciFi. While certainly better SciFi than Lexx, I did have concerns it might fall more into the Lexx format.

Promised a lot but failed to deliver in my opinion.Even Captain Jack started to get on my tits.

Even lesbo action wont change my mind.

MY reaction to Cyberwoman was pretty much the opposite. That made four eps on the HDD of my DVDR, and decided to delete them all. I'll probably keep watching, at least for a while, but I decided Torchwood wasn't worth burning to DVD and keeping, like I do with Dr. Who.

MY reaction to Cyberwoman was pretty much the opposite. That made four eps on the HDD of my DVDR, and decided to delete them all. I'll probably keep watching, at least for a while, but I decided Torchwood wasn't worth burning to DVD and keeping, like I do with Dr. Who.

Really? Wow! I thought it was great, the love so strong, Ianto went to such great lengths, and even betrayed his team. Jack's ruthlessness. The continuation of the Cybermen storyline from the Dr. Who eps. Much less focused on being msotly about sex.

Except for her cyber high heels and robo-bra.

The ending was cool though.

LOL, yea, well I figured that was the "adult" part, plus it differentiated the character to be someone in particular, rather than a random, souless, faceless Cyberman. ;)

Sorry to interrupt, but:

Darth Librarian, where does that photo come from? I know it's Star Trek TOS, but which episode? It's a great Shatner shot. :LOL: :D

About Torchwood, all I've really heard is that it's rather weak (or started out so) and their main focus is to "be naughty" rather than telling a good story.

But I only heard opinions from a very small group of viewers, all Dr. Who fans.

I'm with you.

Before Cyberwoman, I just thought Torchwood just .. wasn't very good.

Cyberwoman was where Torchwood became Spock's Brain, serialized. Just less funny. I'd rip it apart bit by bit, but .. it really seems so redundant. :p "Hello, I'm your evil robot girlfriend. I just put my brain into a pizza girl."

"Hello, I'm your evil robot girlfriend. I just put my brain into a pizza girl."

Wow. When I read that I thought: I could see that line being written into a "Red Dwarf" episode.

:LOL:

There it would be funny, though, not sad. :)

"Hello, I'm your evil robot girlfriend. I just put my brain into a pizza girl."

That makes it sound better than it was...

Part of my problem was how absurd it was that he could hide her there for so long without anyone knowing, and without asking for help with her, while at the same time placing everyone in great danger. I don't think love could account for that, since it lessened her chances of a good outcome as well. Would they have hired a guy that stupid to be their 'doorman?' Made no sense to me.

Back