• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

No Michael O'Hare on the S1 DVD extras?

No Michael O\'Hare on the S1 DVD extras?

In the past couple of days I've become aware that Michael O'Hare is not one of the people who was interviewed for the upcoming DVDs. Ruth O'Hare reported on the Team O'Hare website that he wasn't even asked.

I can understand Warner Home Video going for people living and working in the Los Angeles area. (O'Hare has been based in New York since leaving B5, which is why his television appearances have been limited to Law & Order, which shoots there.) And I can understand their being reluctant to fly him all the way out to L.A. for a brief interview. But AOL/Time-Warner is a huge conglomorate which certainly has facilities in New York. How tough would it be to get him down to the local WB affliate or CNN's N.Y. bureau and record an interview? Hell, they could even show parts of it on CNN itself in conjuction with a story when the DVDs are released, which certainly couldn't hurt sales. Heaven knows they air enough other entertainment fluff.

Anyway, I'd like to suggest (once again) that a few snail-mail letters might get WHV at least thinking about this. It would be a real shame if the "archival" edition of B5 went out without the man who played Jeffery Sinclair being part of it. He was only the frickin' lead character for the whole first year.

While it may be too late to do anything about the S1 set (I have no idea where they are in the production process, or how tight their schedule is) I think this is worth a shot. Even if it is to late for S1 (the most sensible place to include O'Hare) we have another shot with S3. An interview and/or commentary tracks connected with "War Without End" would give him a great opportunity to talk about his character and his experience on the show. This might also be an opportunity to suggest other folks for interviews and/or commentaries in upcoming seasons. (I very badly want Walter Koenig to do a commentary on a Bester episode, and I'd love to hear Trek alumni like David Gerrold, Peter David and Dorothy Fontana compare and contrast working in the two fictional universes.)

Anyway, if anyone wants to join this effort, here's the address:

Douglas Wadleigh
Vice-President, Marketing and Special Features
Warner Home Video
4000 Warner Blvd.
Burbank, CA 91522

The usual rules apply: Polite, short and to the point, neatly typed (and spell-checked /forums/images/icons/smile.gif) or hand-written. Don't forget that postal rates have gone up in the U.S. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Also don't forget to thank him for all the extras we are getting on the first set, and that fact that they've involved JMS, and seem to be releasing a set that conforms to both his desires and those of the fans.

Well, what are you doing reading this? Start writing those letters! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards,

Joe

Re: No Michael O\'Hare on the S1 DVD extras?

**Fumes**

This seems just so ... wrong. That he wasn't even asked. Damn, Sinclair was the reason I got hooked on the show, the reason why I first decided to stick with the show - the reason that kept me watching through those late S1 eps in spite of sometimes having no idea what was going on since I didn't tune in until mid-to-late S1 the first time I watched the show.

If it's too late for S1, then a commentary - or at least some comments, anything - on WWE would be perfect.

Is there any point in non-region 1 fans writing letters about this? And is it the same people who are responsible for extras on other region sets (once released)? Would there be a point in asking them to consider adding him on the R2 release, if it's too late for the R1 first season set?

I'm not sure who is responsible for what within the labyrinth of related, but independent, companies that make up the Warner Bros. Octopus. (And let's not even think about the "AOL/Time" part of the organization.) I do know that Warner Home Video, Inc. (U.S.) and Warner Home Video, Ltd. (U.K.) are separate companies.

And there doesn't seem to be any obvious logic between which DVD features are identical in different countries and which aren't.

But it certainly couldn't hurt to have fans from all over the world writing to the folks in Burbank. At the very least any extras that WB has spent money producing will be available to the folks putting together editions for other countries. They'll decide on a market-by-market basis what they can charge for a set, which features are likely to boost sales, how much disc space and production cost they can afford and all that good stuff. With any luck WHV in the States will pass along news about what fans are asking for to the WB entities responsible for producing the discs elsewhere.

I strongly suspect that the releases around the world will be pretty much identical. Because region-free players and PAL/NTSC capable TVs are so common outside the U.S., consumers there have the option of buying the North American edition of a disc if they think it is better. (And commonly do for discs, especially horror films, that are censored in one way or the other overseas.) North American fans generally don't have the same option. So while it is not unusual for a U.K. or European edition of a film to have extras that the U.S. version doesn't, the reverse is not true as often. (The exception being censored discs, as noted above.) In order to protect their local markets and local editions, therefore, it makes sense for overseas WB units to try to include exactly the same extras on their DVDs are we get here.

So I think everyone should write, since the U.S. edition will likely be the template for all the others. Interesting question about a U.K. version still having time to include an O'Hare interview. My sense is that if there isn't time to do it for the R1 release, the studio will just wait until they get to R3. I doubt that WHV, Ltd. would fly O'Hare to London or even pay a fee to have him interviewed in New York if WHV, Inc. has already passed on the idea.

Regards,

Joe

WHAT NO MICHAEL O'HARE IN S1 DVD RELEASE ?!!???!!!!ARGH THIS HAS TO BE CHANGED YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT JOE D IT IS TO LATE FOR THE US BUT MAYBE NOT FOR S3

Well, I feel like about seven different kind of idiot right now. Turns out the Warner Bros. did try to contact O'Hare. They went throught SAG, which didn't have a current number, they called JMS who also had an out-of-date number, they finally called Sandy Bruckner (president of the late, lamented, official fan club) and tried the number she gave them. That got them an answering machine where they left a message. They never heard back and the deadline passed for doing the interviews.

Heard from Ruth O'Hare a little while ago, and when Michael got home tonight she asked him about this telephone message. He got it last week, decided he either didn't want to do the interview or couldn't fit it into his schedule (Ruth didn't indicate which) and didn't think to mention it to her.

So WB is off the hook here. They did their best but O'Hare didn't call back. Maybe now that he knows how much the fans want him, he'll make a point of saying "yes" if asked about S3.

Excuse me, I have to go to about three more sites and retract this. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Well, how considerate of him...

But, uh, you heard from Ruth? As in, know her personally? lol If you do, try and get her to coerce her husband to doing interviews for us. lol I for one would love to hear more of Michael's voice.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
But, uh, you heard from Ruth?

[/quote]

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Took less time to type than, "I got an e-mail from Ruth" Don't know the lady except through the website and the odd e-mail. But don't worry, I'm haven't let that stop me from telling her to tell Michael that the next time Warner Bros. calls about an interview for the DVDs he is to say "YES!" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Regards,

Joe

Joe, do you know who *is* doing interviews for the DVDs?

Tammy

Didn't I send this to you in an e-mail earlier? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

OK, confirmed interviews (as per JMS):

JMS
Rick Biggs
John Iacovelli
John Copeland
Stephen Furst
Jerry Doyle

At the time he originally posted that message they were trying to get other people as well, but the no other names have been given, and JMS did not indicate if more interviews were being done. Evidently last week was the deadline for recording the interviews, so whoever they got by then is who we get.

In addition to his interview JMS recorded an on-camera introduction to the set, and two audio commentary tracks, for "Signs and Portents" and "Chrysalis" No word on whether anybody else did a commentary, which was an idea they were kicking around. I suspect not, at least for the first set. On top of everything else JMS mentioned writing an introduction. I don't know if that means he hasn't already recorded it (his earlier message made it sound like he had) or if he's doing some kind of "liner notes" for the set. Many series boxed sets come with little "booklets" inside with episodes lists and additional information.

And that's pretty much all I know at the moment.

Regards,

Joe

(I did send you an e-mail. It's right there in my "sent items" folder.)

Oh well. Still sucks to not have him on there, but of course the situation is quite different in this case - at least he was not forgotten.

Whatever the reasons were, we can only hope that WB asks him again and he'll reconsider for the S3 set.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
But don't worry, I'm haven't let that stop me from telling her to tell Michael that the next time Warner Bros. calls about an interview for the DVDs he is to say "YES!"

[/quote]

Let hope that she and Michael know that "the fans" really wanted him included in the S1 DVD interviews, and still do want him included in the S3 DVD interviews. Because she made that post at rastb5m, I guess she probably knows.

I'm satisfied at least WB asked and he passed for whatever reason I can only hope hell reconsider for s3.

OK, confirmed interviews (as per JMS):

JMS
Rick Biggs
John Iacovelli
John Copeland
Stephen Furst
Jerry Doyle

[/quote]

What is wrong with this picture.....no Peter, no Andreas, no Mira, and no Michael...... let alone no great and powerful Mr Vejar!!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Whatz a fan to do?!? /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

We can only hope the best for the rest of the seasons (and we'd better try and make sure there will be more of those sets coming!).

There is the possibility, I suppose, that some more people were asked, but for all sorts of reasons (short notice, not wanting to do the work for free for this and all the other seasons etc) some people may have opted out of S1 - but with any luck, would be willing to give some of their time for the benefit of the other seasons which might consider more important for them personally. Or whatever. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Its also pretty clear that folks like Bruce Boxlightner, Jason Carter, Jeff Conaway (sp) and Pat Tallman, who werent in the series till seasons 2 and 3 wouldnt be approached for season 1 at all.

The most notable ones missing off the S1 list to me were Mira Furlan, Michael O'Hare, Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas. But they may do those folks later in the DVD set as their characters buils. Who knows, they probably just werent available when WB needed them to be.

Were I someone at Warner responsible for compiling the interviews, I would consider the matter and ask for advise from JMS. I would soon realize that the show has several seasons... and this season is approaching a deadline.

Seeing that some people are difficult to contact, and some live in locations where interviews cannot be quickly recorded, I might be quite content with letting several key actors "slip through the cracks" for the first season.

Good that they managed to reach Richard Biggs and Steven Furst in time, and contact Michael O'Hare even if late. Hopefully he has nothing against some comments for the third season, especially "War Without End".

Remember that more interviews were left out, some possibly for story-related reasons... although I would not mind interviews from Mira on any subject she would deem interesting. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Mira Furlan
Bruce Boxleitner
Claudia Christian
Peter Jurasik
Andreas Katsulas
Bill Mumy
Walter Koenig
Patricia Tallman
Jeffrey Willerth

...and many more deservant of equal mention.

What is wrong with this picture.....no Peter, no Andreas, no Mira, and no Michael...... let alone no great and powerful Mr Vejar

[/quote]

Well, there are four more seasons. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If B5 follows the same pattern as The X-Files we will gradually get more and better extras as the seasons progress and sales continue strong. (I don't think there was an X-Files episode with a commentary track until S3.) I believer Mira is somewhere in the former Yugoslavia doing Medea, and the others you mention probably also weren't available for scheduling reasons. All of this is being done on a fairly tight schedule and budget, so they aren't able to do everything. Once WHV has seen the sales numbers for S1 and is confident that the later seasons will also sell, I hope that they'll start working on supplements earlier. With any luck they'll be working on some of the S3 stuff while S2 is in production, and therefore have more time to get everybody they want. (I also hope that they're asking the people they do get to comment on all the seasons, so that we can have snippets of the same interview spread across all five sets.)

Regards,

Joe

What is wrong with this picture.....no Peter, no Andreas, no Mira, and no Michael...... let alone no great and powerful Mr Vejar!!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Whatz a fan to do?!? /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

[/quote]Well, hey, apart from everything Mr. DeMartino's just said (which I couldn't even begin to add upon; he hit just about all that I would've said /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ), I'm simply thrilled to death that we are not only getting INTERVIEWS with this many people...but we are also to receive AUDIO COMMENTARIES, something that took Fox three seasons to include on The X-Files DVDs (and something that Paramount isn't including AT ALL with the Star Trek sets, four seasons' worth and counting /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ), plus intros by JMS (another terrific X-Files-legacy goody), along with anamorphic transfers and remixed 5.1 EX surround sound. We should all probably be counting our blessings here, eh?

Don't worry -- there are still FOUR MORE seasons to release, also. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif And these supplements (I hate using the term "extras," as if they're something like a dog-bone that the studio is throwing out to us) are about right on par with what's being done currently with the Buffy sets, and -- again -- The X-Files, in terms of variety and quantity.

So...it seems that Babylon 5 is right up there with those other genre series, in the esteem of the studio. And I'm not complaining at all.

But don't worry, I'm haven't let that stop me from telling her to tell Michael that the next time Warner Bros. calls about an interview for the DVDs he is to say "YES!"

[/quote]

Is that anything like what you are supposed to do when asked about your personal divinity? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back