• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Office Space

ElScorcho

Regular
Ever since seeing this movie, I can't quite take Gideon seriously anymore.

"Yeah. I'm gonna need you to go ahead and..."

Just think of him holding Lochley's ankle in the air, while he holds a coffee mug in his other hand /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I couldn't take him seriously, after seeing him in the 'Brady Bunch' movies. Then when I saw 'Office Space' I really couldn't believe it. It was like....."Captain Gideon!!!! NOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

But then I remembered Bruce Boxleitner from the Gambler Movies, and then I felt a lot better. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rommie

Gary Cole in the Disney movie "Cadet Kelly" was too much for me, and that mustache looked awful.

Ouch. I forgot about the Brady's.

(shiver)

And yes, Bruce has been in some real corn. At least he had cool wheels in Scarecrow.

Try to see an episode of American Gothic if you can. Now there was a role worthy of Gary Cole's talents! Sometimes I swear you can hear a little of Lucas Buck's particular brand of sardonic evil creeping into Gideon. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I always liked the reply GC gave to the question, "If Mike Brady was a 1 and Lucas Buck a 10, where would Gideon be?" He said something like a 6 or a 7, but maybe on a bad day... /forums/images/icons/devil.gif

I love Office Space.

And I agree, there was a little Lucas Buck seeping into Gideon, but Gideon was very much his own guy. I loved Gary Cole in American Gothic - he was just SO good.

And Gideon, I think, would have ended up being my favorite captain, had the series gone on. Of any of them. Of any damned science fiction series.

Although he might have had a bit of trouble overcoming my list's Picard, who is just the King of Captains.

Yes ... he proved he can play a really scarey man in "American Gothic" ... then he played an even more frightening role in the "Brady Bunch" movies. *shudders* I'll choose the devil anyday over them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Gideon could never have gotten into the top 5, no matter what, though he was good, my top five captains list is full:

1. Sheridan
2. Picard
3. Ivanova
4. Sisko
5. Riker

He's not anywhere near there now, simply because there wasn't enough Gideon to merit it.

Picard is the Ultimate. That's all.

I've seen about three eps of TNG and Picard would definitely make it into my top five (OK, so I really like Patrick Stewart, so I'm biased!) - as would Gideon, and David Martell would have had the potential to make it there as well. Sheridan, however, would not be anywhere near my top five though. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Sinclair would be #1, no question about it.

I never understood how all the promotional material for Rangers called him "Martel." And then, the movie decided to spell it "Martell."

I'll never get it.

But, yeah. He could have been there, as well. There just wasn't enough of him, either.

I agree. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

And I've decided to stick to the on-screen spelling of his name instead of the promotional materials. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

There's just something really aesthetically pleasing about "Martel," especially when placed up against "Cantrell," which has two LL's.

I also like Martel better. But I suppose on-screen is more "canon" than promo stuff.

I suppose we could adopt the same approach as with Charlemagne - both Martel and Martell seem to be acceptable versions of spelling his name (Martell more in the German texts, I suppose) - and pick whatever sounds and looks best. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I never watched even one episode of The Brady Bunch, or any of the Brady Bunch movies, and have no desire to watch 'em now either. Same goes for 90210. Just weren't my kind of shows.

Liked Gary Cole in Midnight Caller, but for me, Gary Cole will always be Captain Gideon.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I never watched even one episode of The Brady Bunch, or any of the Brady Bunch movies, and have no desire to watch 'em now either.

[/quote]
I taped the second movie, while working on the laptop at the same time. Every so often, I'd hear that delicious voice, look up and see a man with a tribble on his head, and shudder /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Liked Gary Cole in Midnight Caller, but for me, Gary Cole will always be Captain Gideon.

[/quote]

Much as I love Matthew Gideon (and that's a LOT! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ) to me Lucas Buck was his best ever role. So delectably evil /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I might have seen one or two episodes of American Gothic, and perhaps 6 episodes of Midnight Caller. Compare that to Crusade, where I've seen all 13 episodes about 8 times. I wasn't really a fan of Gary Cole prior to Crusade.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back