• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Books and Telepath war

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey all. I am new around here and am interested in the books. Does anyone know what books the Telepath War is in? I heard that Lyta and Linner die in that war and was curious. Thanks..... Shadow /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The Telepath War is not in any books. The Psi Corps trilogy avoids it - book 2 takes place before it and book 3 soon after it, but doesn't give too much information about the war itself. I can't remember for sure but I think the Centauri trilogy might have mentioned it in passing (or maybe not).

The Psi-Corps trilogy, especially book 3, would be your best bet - as long as you don't expect too much coverage on the war. It does give a couple of hints and some insight into it, but is rather vague.

The consensus among the fans seems to be that JMS has been "saving" the Telepath War story for something else, maybe a possible feature film (not that one looks very likely at this time), maybe something else.

Do your dreams have a habit of coming true? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Then, by all means, please do!

Oh, and welcome aboard. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

One "Crusade" episode (I'm bad at remembering title names) shows a flashback of a brief part of the war ... an unaired "Crusade" script ("Value Judgements") also gave a few hints (or maybe to the aftermath) ... and did the short story "The Nautilus Coil" take place just before the war? I haven't read it yet ...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
One "Crusade" episode (I'm bad at remembering title names) shows a flashback of a brief part of the war ... an unaired "Crusade" script ("Value Judgements") also gave a few hints (or maybe to the aftermath) ... and did the short story "The Nautilus Coil" take place just before the war? I haven't read it yet ...

[/quote]Actually, "The Nautilus Coil" takes place during the actual war itself, around the end of the first year or thereabouts. There was enough of a lull in the fighting for Lyta and Garibaldi to leave the battle lines long enough to investigate the signals being transmitted by the ancient Psi-Corps ship(s), in part to potentially utilize what they might find there for the war effort.

It seems that the fighting picked up enough later on to result in Lyta's death, probably in the next year of the war. And this seems to be where the Matheson sequences in "The Path of Sorrows" on Mars take place, albeit probably much closer to the end of the conflict, when the Psi-Corps seemed to be winning, more or less. (And the third Psi-Corps novel by J. Gregory Keyes also contains many tantalizing tidbits from the war, in flashback form and in dialogue references. So you might check those out too; they're well worth it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif)

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Leto II: </font color>
Actually, "The Nautilus Coil" takes place during the actual war itself, around the end of the first year or thereabouts.

[/quote]

Hmm, I'll have to re-read it because I don't remember that. Haven't read it since Aug. 2000. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

It was in the last issue of Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine (No. 24, Aug. 2000).

“I’m a little on edge,” she said. “Psi Corps has been turning all of the screws, and Bester in particular seems to have gone completely around the bend. From what information we get, the rehabilitation camps have become killing fields. We’ve lost a lot of good people. My people, Michael,” she closed her eyes, but when she opened them they were still Human. “You’re right - I shouldn’t take it out on you."

“I’m not entirely sure myself,” Lyta replied. “But I do know this - if Bester gets there first, we’re going to lose this war. And when I say we, I don’t just mean the resistance - I mean you, too. If what I suspect is true, Bester has finally found the magic bullet, and after he shoots us with it, he’s going to put another one right in the collective mundane brain. That, you can count on.”

“See, I know the lengths you’d go to beat Psi Corps. I’m with you there. But there are people in your organization who would be just as happy to stick it to the rest of us as Bester.”

- The Nautilus Coil (c) 2000 John Gregory Keyes

[/quote]

Clearly still during the war, and yet Lyta and Garibaldi are able to take off on an expedition outside the Sol system. So there must be a lull in the fighting.

Regards,

Joe

You can find a copy of the story at this link:

[Removed link to copyrighted material. - Kribu]

/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I have that story in the mag

but....hmmm, interesting site - *if* you have a *look* around <hint hint>

thanx

thanks for trying, don't worry about it, Kribu was right in what she did.

Advice for the Future:
when wanting to give links to something like that, don't openly post them, say you have a link to them, and have anybody wanting the link PM you.

Go ahead and PM me the link if you don't mind.

Go ahead and PM me the link if you don't mind.

[/quote]
You want b5 short stories?
I have .doc file online atm.E-mail ( sigma13@hot.ee ) me if you are interested and i will give a url.

Sigma

Please don't discuss trading downloads of copyrighted material on this board either. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Kribu: </font color>
Please don't discuss trading downloads of copyrighted material on this board either.

[/quote]

Yes, and instead, every time you're tempted to ask for a link to the stories, write to Steve Saffel at Del Rey and let him know that you want 'em. Here are three ways to reach him (snail mail, email, and his feedback page).

Del Rey Books
Steve Saffel, Senior Editor
1540 Broadway
NY, NY 10036-4040 USA

Saffel, Steve <SSaffel@randomhouse.com>

Steve Saffel at Del Rey

Tell him you want the existing six Babylon 5 Short Stories, and at least three new Babylon 5 short stories (one each by Neil Gaiman and Anne McCaffrey, and at least one by J. M. Straczynski).

Reference: JMS 01/18/2001 08:36 PM Post about Short Story Anthology

The Existing Babylon 5 Short Stories

"The Shadow of His Thoughts"
J. M. Straczynski
Amazing Stories, Summer 1999, Number 597
The Londo Story, shortly after he became emperor in " The Fall of Centauri Prime" episode 5-19.

"Genius Loci"
J. M. Straczynski
Amazing Stories, Winter 2000, Number 599
The Lyta / G'Kar Story, after they left B5 in "Objects in Motion" in episode 5-20.

"Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic"
J. M. Straczynski
Amazing Stories, Summer 2000, Number 602
The Marcus / Ivanova Story.

"Hidden Agendas"
J. M. Straczynski
Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, May 2000, Number 22
The Ivanova/Warlock Destroyer/Ulkesh's Vorlon Transport/Sheridan/Lyta Story. Very important. Ties in with Crusade and the Technomage Trilogy.

"True Seeker"
Fiona Avery
Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, July 2000, Number 23
The Narn Story (carries on from "Legacies" episode 1-17)

"The Nautilus Coil"
J. Gregory Keyes
Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, August 2000, Number 24
The Garibaldi/Lyta/Psi Corp/Vorlon story. Connects with "Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"

Please don't discuss trading downloads of copyrighted material on this board either.

[/quote]
jep..i couldnt resist to write a reply /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sigma

Yes, everytime the stories are distributed freely, it lessens the chance that we would actually get a legitimate copy of them with the extra goodies JMS alluded to way back when. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Back