• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Confessions And Lamentations

Hunter, Prey

• B -- Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
I get the chills every time they go to the place where the Markabs were and find that Delenn and Lennier are the only ones alive.

I agree: the music is very nice in this episode. I love the scene of Delenn telling Sheridan that if she dies she'll see him again in the place where no shadows fall. I also like the ending in that the Markab are all wiped out; it's not the traditional save the day right in the nick of time that is usual in tv/movie storytelling.

Despite the depressing tone of it, this is one of my favorites. In fact, it's in my Top 10 of the entire series. I don't think there's been anything like it in any other sci-fi show, especially the Treks. Amazing; tragic, but extraordinary storytelling.

I just gave it a B, thinking high-end B, but as people remind me more about it I realize that this is A-quality. Strike one "B" vote and bump it up a notch.

I gave this one a B - it is a verg good ep. Not quite an A since I'm reserving my A votes for the really special episodes.

As others have already said, it's not your conventional Hollywood ending type of story and the scene near the end was very moving indeed. My only (small) gripe is that the Markab were only a "backround" race in previous episodes - would have been nice if we had seen more of them previously (watching the previous eps again you do notice them more, but on first viewing they are just some other aliens).

As others have already said, it's not your conventional Hollywood ending type of story and the scene near the end was very moving indeed. My only (small) gripe is that the Markab were only a "backround" race in previous episodes - would have been nice if we had seen more of them previously (watching the previous eps again you do notice them more, but on first viewing they are just some other aliens).

I agree, hence my B, despite it being well done.

Originally it was supposed to be the Drazi that were wiped out, but they decided that the Drazi makeup is too heavy to convey the emotional weight of the episodes. I personally think the Markab makeup is little better in that regard anyway.

Sorry to disagree, but this is one of my least favorite episodes. I gave it a C, because only one episode ("Believers") of B5 ever deserved less.

I like this episode, I give it a B. Watching Franklin struggle to save the Markab is compelling, and you feel the danger that Delenn Lennier are putting themselves in. The only problem is that you don't get a feel of how big a disaster this is. An entire sentient species has been wiped out completely, but I don't think we get the scale of the disaster, with the exception of the brief news report at the end on ISN.

JMS said at the time that it wasn't an AIDS allegory, but based it on what happened with rhe Black Death. But with the way AIDS is wreaking havoc across Africa, and the way people there are seem to be ignorant of it, maybe its becoming more and more of an AIDS allegory. I don't know, just a thought.

I was just curious as to why some might really hate this episode. Just what was it about the ep. that so annoyed you, StarForBram?

I was just curious as to why some might really hate this episode. Just what was it about the ep. that so annoyed you, StarForBram?

I guess I just didn't like the subject material. The blind religious faith of the Markab annoyed me. I guess this is why I hated "Believers" too. I have a low tolerance for people who blindly let religion dictate their choices in life.

That I can certainly appreciate. :)

Thanks, StarForBram. That does make sense. It's a bit interesting that the point of the episode was exactly what you hated about it, but I can certainly understand. You just didn't particularly want to see all of this played out. It's tiring.

I can certainly understand that perspective.

I have a low tolerance for people who blindly let religion dictate their choices in life.

This begs an interesting question: What constitutes such "blind" faith? What would be reasonable and unreasonable in such circumstances with respect to faith?

I'd say the blind part of the faith kicked in when the Markab decided to ignore the medical study of the disease that said it would spread faster if they were in much tighter contact with each other and up and all move into one big room with each believing that being isolated from everyone else would show God that they were all holy and thus they'd be spared the disease.

Whenever one ignores other points of reality for sake of wanting something to be a certain way, wrapped up in a pious wrapper, would usually constitute blind faith, I'd say.

Maybe all the Markab were just impure and deserved to die.

No, I'd say I have to agree with VL there. I'd also add that while underfunding research into this disease and even going so far as to basically ignore its existence they doomed themselves as a race.

It just played out more quickly in the B5 episode than it did during the Black Death.

Sloth is a sin - not looking for the cause and cure.
Arrogance is a second sin - declaring ones self pure.

Put the two together and you have a big problem.

So you are saying they deserve to die Mr. Swallow?

I gave the ep a B. It was good but I just don't believe it. The WHOLE ENTIRE race, every single person, ignores this fatal disease and lives with their superstition that eventually kills them? I mean, come on. They were smart enough to develop advanced medicine and join the other spacefaring races. I can't believe that billions of people, EVERY ONE, could be so short sighted. It makes no sense at all and makes the whole race look like a bunch of idiots. I absolutely can't believe it's true. I liked the ep but it's just too over to top to buy so I can't give it an A.

The blind religious faith of the Markab annoyed me. I guess this is why I hated "Believers" too. I have a low tolerance for people who blindly let religion dictate their choices in life.

I feel the same way, and never liked Believers. It was a good ep too, and can totally happen (in fact it does), but it bothers me a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back