• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Newbie just starting S2 - Non-Spoilers ONLY!

ilikemike

Regular
Hi! I'm very much a newbie on this site and need a bit of guidance. I've just finished viewing the first season and would love to discuss things from that perspective with someone who would like to do that.

:)

Re: Lost Newbie!!!

Sure, bring on any points of discussion you've got.

And let's all please be courteous and try to be cautious of spoiling the other seasons he hasn't yet seen. ;)

hey there ilike, nice to meet you! I'm always ready to talk about Babylon 5. If you liked season 1, then it only gets better. =)

And so it begins.....

Hello, and welcome to the nuthouse that is B5TV! :D

I guess I can call it a nuthouse because I'm used to hanging out in the Babbleon forum, then one that I am moderator of. :LOL:

ilikemike, beware. The rest of us here love discussing B5, but we've also seen most/all of the episodes a lot. So this board -- particularly this part of the board -- is absolutely crawling with spoilers. Speaking as someone who got pretty badly spoiled at some points, you DON'T want to know what's coming until you get there in your progress through the show.

Could a moderator put a warning up in the thread title, maybe?

And another word of advice -- see Season 2 as quickly as possible. You'll be glad you did!

Welcome ilikemike! I've changed the title of the thread, so with any luck people will know not to post spoilers here. In the meantime I would really avoide every other section of the board - even the sexy picture threads in NC-17 - because you never know when someone will relate something to an event in the series and post what for you will be a huge spoiler. Once you've finished S5 - and the movies - and Crusade - you'll probably be in good shape. Unless you plan to get the authorized novels or collect the comics or the magazines with the short stories. :) Then you're goiing to be screwed no matter what. :)

Don't know what the weather is like where you are, but I've found that rainy weekends are the perfect opportunity to blow through entire seasons on DVD. The fact that it is summer rerun season here in the U.S. and that there is no football also makes it easier to get through whole TV seasons. (I'm currently doing S2 of the '50s Adventures of Superman.)

Later,

Joe

....Once you've finished S5 - and the movies - and Crusade - you'll probably be in good shape. Unless you plan to get the authorized novels or collect the comics or the magazines with the short stories. :) Then you're goiing to be screwed no matter what. :)

Not entirely sure what JoeD means by that. Screwed because some of the novels, short stories and comics are hard to find at the present time?

Of the following, #7, #9 and the recent three trilogies are very good to excellent. Those are the essentially "canon" novels. Legions of Fire Book III and The Passing of the Technomages Book II are usually hard to find, especially in new condition at a reasonable price. The short stories and comics are also hard to find. #1 thru #6 and #8 are, IMHO, best avoided, because they're pretty bad and non-canon. "In the Beginning" is the best of the novelizations.

NOVELS:

Title: Book #1 Voices
Author: Vornholt, John
Timeframe: After Points of Departure & before A Race through Dark Places
Isbn1: 0-440-22057-2
Copyright1: March 1995
Publisher1: Dell

Title: Book #2 Accusations
Author: Tilton, Lois
Timeframe: After The Coming of Shadows & before All Alone in the Night.
Isbn1: 0-440-22058-0
Copyright1: May 1995

Title: Book #3 Blood Oath
Author: Vornholt, John
Timeframe: Historian's Note: This story takes place prior to the events in The Coming of Shadows.
Isbn1: 0-440-22059-9
Copyright1: October 1995

Title: Book #4 Clark's Law
Author: Mortimore, Jim
Timeframe: 11/15/2242 - 12/24/2259
Isbn1: 0-440-22229-X
Copyright1: February 1996

Title: Book #5 The Touch of Your Shadow, the Whisper of Your Name
Author: Barrett, Jr., Neal
Timeframe: Historian's Note: The events of this novel take place in early 2260, before A Day in the Strife.
Isbn1: 0-440-22230-3
Copyright1: April 1996

Title: Book #6 Betrayals
Author: Stirling, S.M.
Timeframe: Historian's Note: The year is 2259, during the Narn-Centauri War.
Isbn1: 0-440-22234-6
Copyright1: June 1996

Title: Book #7 The Shadow Within
Author: Cavelos, Jeanne
Timeframe: 11/2256 - 01/2257
Isbn1: 0-440-22348-2
Copyright1: April 1997
Isbn2: 0-345-45218-6
Copyright2: December 2002
Publisher2: DelRey

Title: Book #8 Personal Agendas
Author: Sarrantonio, Al
Timeframe: Historian's Note: The events of this novel take place in 2261, before Falling Toward Apotheosis.
Isbn1: 0-440-22351-2
Copyright1: May 1997

Title: Book #9 To Dream in the City of Sorrows
Author: Drennan, Kathryn M.
Timeframe Marcus in 10/2260, recalling events of 1/2259-9/2260.
Isbn1: 0-440-22354-7
Copyright1: July 1997
Isbn2: 0-345-45219-4
Copyright2: July 2003
Publisher2: DelRey

The recent three trilogies:

Title: Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps
Author: Keyes, J. Gregory
Timeframe: 2115-2189
Isbn1: 0-345-42715-7
Copyright1: October 1998
Publisher1: DelRey

Title: Deadly Relations - Bester Ascendant
Timeframe: 2189-2258
Isbn1: 0-345-42716-5
Copyright1: March 1999

Title: Final Reckoning - The Fate of Bester
Timeframe: 2271-2281
Isbn1: 0-345-42717-3
Copyright1: October 1999

Title: Legions of Fire - Book I - The Long Night of Centauri Prime
Author: David, Peter
Timeframe: ~10/2262-12/2266. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42718-1
Copyright1: December 1999

Title: Legions of Fire - Book II - Armies of Light and Dark
Timeframe: 12/14/2266-04/18/2272. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42719-X
Copyright1: May 2000

Title: Legions of Fire - Book III - Out of the Darkness
Timeframe: 05/14/2273-01/21/2277. Dates corrected to line up with A Call to Arms and Crusade.
Isbn1: 0-345-42720-3
Copyright1: November 2000

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book I - Casting Shadows
Timeframe: 11/2258-12/31/2258
Isbn1: 0-345-42721-1
Copyright1: March 2001

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book II - Summoning Light
Timeframe: 1/2259-2/2259
Isbn1: 0-345-42722-X
Copyright1: July 2001

Title: The Passing of the Techno-Mages - Book III - Invoking Darkness
Timeframe: 8/2260-2261
Isbn1: 0-345-43833-7
Copyright1: December 2001

NOVELIZATIONS:

Title: A Call to Arms
Author: Sheckley, Robert
Timeframe: 12/2266-01/2267
Isbn1: 0-345-43155-3
Copyright1: January 1999

Title: In the Beginning
Timeframe: Events of 2245-2248, as told by Londo in 01/2277.
Isbn1: 0-345-42452-2
Copyright1: January 1998

Title: Thirdspace
Timeframe: 6/2261
Isbn1: 0-345-42454-9
Copyright1: July 1998

SHORT STORIES (all out of print, both magazines out of business):

Title: The Shadow of His Thoughts
Author: Straczynski, J. M.
Timeframe: 10/2262
Ss_pub_in: Amazing Stories
Ss_issue: Summer 1999, Number 597
Ss_commnts: The Londo Story

Title: Genius Loci
Timeframe: 01/2263
Ss_issue: Winter 2000, Number 599
Ss_commnts: The Lyta / G'Kar Story

Title: Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic
Timeframe: 2560-2592
Ss_issue: Summer 2000, Number 602
Ss_commnts: The Marcus / Ivanova Story

Title: Hidden Agendas
Timeframe: 2262
Ss_pub_in: Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine
Ss_issue: May 2000, Number 22
Ss_commnts: The Ivanova/Warlock Destroyer/Ulkesh's Vorlon
Transport/Sheridan/Lyta Story

Title: True Seeker
Author: Avery, Fiona
Timeframe: late 2269
Ss_issue: July 2000, Number 23
Ss_commnts: The Narn Story (carries on from episode 17 "Legacies" http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/017.html )

Title: The Nautilus Coil
Timeframe: 2263, or maybe even sometime in 2264
Ss_issue: August 2000, Number 24
Ss_commnts: The Garibaldi/Lyta/Psi Corp/Vorlon story. Connects with "Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"

Season one is what I would decribed as like the first half hour of the movie,background material.Very good it is too.I would look out for The Gathering,which is the pilot movie.You don't have to see it to enjoy the series but it is relevant to the series as a whole.

WOW! You guys (and gals, I assume) are great!!! I did see "The Gathering." A friend of mine suggested I begin with the movie. I have just started to watch Season 2 and will probably cut through a lot of that this weekend. Thanks for being so considerate and not spoiling things for me. I'll be in and out of here with questions, no doubt.

I do have one question so far: One of my favorite characters, Kosh, seems to know Delenn quite well...more than just as fellow ambassadors. Do they have a history?

I do have one question so far: One of my favorite characters, Kosh, seems to know Delenn quite well...more than just as fellow ambassadors. Do they have a history?

[voice=Kosh]

Yes.

[/voice]

:D

Yes they do. Without telling you too much if you haven't seen the movie In The Beginning, the Vorlons were working with Dukhat, the Minbari leader at the beginning of the Earth/Minbari War to ready them for the coming Shadow War. After Dukhat was killed, Delenn consulted the Vorlons on what to do while they were fighting the Humans.

Thanks. Also, did I miss something? Why did Delenn go into the chrysalis? I know she's transforming, but why? She turned down the leadership of the Gray Council, too. Has she revealed her reasons and I just missed it?

What episode have you watched up to so far, ilikemike? Her reasons are revealed, but possibly not by the point you're at yet.

Don't worry, ilikemike. Pretty much every question you have (or will have) is answered eventually in the show. Ain't it grand? Wish I could be seeing it for the first time again. *sigh*

Thanks. Also, did I miss something? Why did Delenn go into the chrysalis? I know she's transforming, but why? She turned down the leadership of the Gray Council, too. Has she revealed her reasons and I just missed it?
Lots of hints of threads start all throughout the series,some more important than others.Some take a long time to come tp fruition as well.It definately makes you want more.

Well, I thank you all. I'll let you know where I am. I just finished watching chrysalis and am watching the first show of the second season, where Sheridan comes in. I didn't think I'd like him because I REALLY liked Sinclair, but he's cool.

Well, I thank you all. I'll let you know where I am. I just finished watching chrysalis and am watching the first show of the second season, where Sheridan comes in. I didn't think I'd like him because I REALLY liked Sinclair, but he's cool.

Of course Sheridan is cool. :D If he weren't I wouldn't use him as my avatar. :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back