• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

RASTB5M postings?

KoshN

Super Moderator
JoeD, have you heard from either Jay or Cheryl about what's going on over at rastb5m? The only thread with new posts is "Endgame: my review" and there were a bunch of old messages from the third week of November that showed up again this morning. There's been nothing new posted on the "Re: First B5:TLT photos & report from jms" subthread since Saturday, December 02, 2006 2:08 PM EST, and I know I've posted three different messages to it since then.

It's like "Endgame: my review" is the only thread that gets a pass from the automods, or something.

I'm not Joe but Amy and I have both asked Jay and Cheryl about it. Cheryl said that she's not seeing much of anything in the queue. I'm not sure, but I think that all of the TLT threads are on hand moderation to be on the lookout for story ideas. I'll pass along your info since I hadn't heard of for-sure missing posts.

Jan

As luck would have it :), six new posts just showed up (including mine), five "Re: First B5:TLT photos & report from jms" and Amy's one "Re: ATTN: JMS - RE: the TLT photos".

Take a car to the mechanic and it quits exhibiting the problem. Maybe they found the problem and fixed it while I took time to nuke some coffee. :beer:

I didn't want to pester them because I'm sure they're hearing from others. But the mod has been flaky for awhile now. I know Amy had told them that a new post of mine on the death of X-Men artist Dave Cockrum hadn't appeared after she approved it twice. (And it still hasn't) There are auto-mod threads where replies from one or two other people have appeared, but not replies I've sent. I'm sure others are seeing the same thing. There doesn't seem to be any clear pattern to what is and isn't making it through. I've sent from home and from work, using Google Groups and Outlook Express - no difference.

Regards,

Joe

I didn't want to pester them because I'm sure they're hearing from others. But the mod has been flaky for awhile now. I know Amy had told them that a new post of mine on the death of X-Men artist Dave Cockrum hadn't appeared after she approved it twice.

Three times, now. :(

(And it still hasn't)

Yep, I know.

I wish I could tell you more, or do more, but I'm not a technical sort of moderator -- I just do actual moderation, i.e. approving and/or bouncing of messages. I don't know anything about how the modbot works, or what sort of server problems can get in the way, etc. But yeah, traffic there has seemed awfully thin lately.

Amy

No, you're not. Amy's written to Jay and Cheryl but I haven't heard if she's gotten any answer back.

Jan

Nope, no reply, which means that their ISP is down. So, we can't even let them know that the newsgroup isn't functioning, but if their ISP is down, then everything, including the modbot, is down, and so they already know that. Last time, it was a problem with their lines and snow in the area. Anyone have any idea what the weather's like in Arizona this week? And no, I have no idea where in Arizona they are -- apologies in advance for my New Yorker's sense of geography (i.e. everything west of the river is Jersey).

-- apologies in advance for my New Yorker's sense of geography (i.e. everything west of the river is Jersey).

In a Heroes thread on the HTF someone questioned the "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" mantra by saying the only city we see blown up is New York - and New York isn't "the world". This drew several corrections from New Yorkers, current and ex-pats. :D

Regards,

Joe

Nope, no reply, which means that their ISP is down. So, we can't even let them know that the newsgroup isn't functioning, but if their ISP is down, then everything, including the modbot, is down, and so they already know that. Last time, it was a problem with their lines and snow in the area. Anyone have any idea what the weather's like in Arizona this week? And no, I have no idea where in Arizona they are -- apologies in advance for my New Yorker's sense of geography (i.e. everything west of the river is Jersey).

We have had bad winds, but no real weather to speak of. I think your map indicated someone in Chandler, Arizona. That'd be where they are, probably; it's one of the nicest cities to visit at this time of year.

So unless the wind got 'em, it must be something else.

but if their ISP is down, then everything, including the modbot, is down, and so they already know that. Last time, it was a problem with their lines and snow in the area.

Unless their ISP is a purely "local, local, local" company, there is a good chance that their assets, including mail servers etc., are spread out all over the country. So even if they're in Arizona, it isn't impossible that the current problem is related to the general socking the midwest has had in the past few days. On the other hand, things have been flaky and inconsistent for going on a week now, so I doubt that any recent event is the source of the problem.

Regards,

Joe

In a Heroes thread on the HTF someone questioned the "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" mantra by saying the only city we see blown up is New York - and New York isn't "the world". This drew several corrections from New Yorkers, current and ex-pats. :D
Of course New York isn't "the world", it is the New World.

Of course New York isn't "the world", it is the New World.

The New World is the only part of the "the world" that counts. New York is the only part of the New World that counts. Manhattan is the only part of New York that counts. What part of this progression escapes you?

Regards,

Joe
Who was born at
St. Vincent's Hospital
153 W 11th Street # 466
New York, NY 10011
(That's in lower Manhattan
for those of you in less imporatant
parts of the world ;))

Hey, hey, hey...Brooklyn girl, here! And if youse Manhattanites wanna trow down about dis, we'll meetcha under the Williamsburg Bridge tonight. Rumble!

Amy
Born in Brooklyn Jewish Hospital,
which is itself in Bed-Stuy, but
the family lived in Flatbush at the
time (which is pronounced, for the
woefully uninformed, roughly as
"Flappish") :D

What can I tell you? I needed a third item or the G'Kar joke didn't work. Despite my birth address I actually lived in the Bronx as a little kid, then moved "up the river", as they say, to the town where Sing Sing prison is located. Which was just a coincidence. (But I returned to the Bronx for Sunday dinner at Grandma's and most holidays for the next 20 years or so.)

So in a pinch we can let the outer borroughs in. :) (Although I'm not so sure about Staten Island, which always struck me was being more "Eastern New Jersey" than New York. ;))

Later,

Joe

Back