• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sheridan and Oranges

We have the Staples Center in LA. Interesting thing about that: the stadium was built -as- the Staples Center.

Phily's hockey team, the Flyers, got a new stadium a number of years ago. It has gone through three name changes in it's short life.

It started out as the Core States Center.Core States got bought out and it became...

The First Union Center. (And let me tell you, did the locals have fun with that, nicknaming it 'the FU Center" :D)
Then First Union got absorbed and it is now known as...

The Wakovia(sp?) Center.

The lesson? Bad move to name your stadium after a bank unless you iike name changes every few years. :D

I was the one that led us so far off-topic, and I apologize. To make up for it, I will try to get us back on-topic.

It seems to me that the writers, effects people, and whatnot pursued an interesting idea in showing people doing things you normally don't see in TV: living their lives (eating, being in the bathroom, etc). However, it strikes me that they did nothing whatsoever that was bold in terms of representing food.

Now, we all know that, like it or not, GM in food is here to stay. In fact, the pace is accelerating what with "forced" GM (i.e. going beyond breding to gene splicing). It would seem to me that any projection of the future, particularly a future in space, would see even more of this. So, for example, why weren't the oranges bred to be square in B5 (they have done that with tomatos in the present)? What other changes would you expect to see in foods in the next 250 years or so?

I got a laugh at the square pigs being hauled in the movie Space Truckers. I've seen square watermelons, but they were grown in plexiglass boxes.

Back to oranges... In Walkabout, Dr. Franklin is shown casualy peeling and eating an orange, which he presumably bought in his down below wanderings. Suffice it to say that while very consistent in story arc, and many other things, B5 is VERY inconsistent on the availability of fruits and vegetables.

Hydroponics, yes. Ivanova hijacks some square footage for an illicit coffee mini-plantation.

On corporate sponsorship, our baseball stadium is named after a bank, but Safeco Field isn't too egregious, and it shortens nicely to The Safe. Our football stadium is named after the team, but then the owner was a Microsoft co-founder and has money to burn.

M&T Bank Stadium, or Empty Bank Stadium. What a horrible name for a bank let alone a stadium

Even though it was not a corporate thing when Camden Yards was being built everyone save one person wanted to call it Camden Yards, a name with some character. Unfortunately the one person was the owner so we ended up with Oriole Park at Camden Yards. No one uses the Oriole Park but it still sucks.

I have no problem with naming stadiums and such after people or corporations. Hell, if it gets me a nice new library and all we ahve to do is call it "The Dickhead Library" I see no problem with it. :D

We still have a new library, no matter what it costs.

But then again in the "Nations" game I voted for ad banners on the side of rockets and ended up with pepsi-bottle shaped rockets. :D :LOL:

At the Uof M, they named the medical building after Taubman, a developer. He was later convicted, and sent to prison, but the name remains... :D :eek: :D

Oh and I forgot, before it was M&T the stadium was Psinet stadium. Nobody knew what they did and the stadium didn't help. Now they're bankrupt and lost the naming rights. Good.

Oh and I forgot, before it was M&T the stadium was Psinet stadium. Nobody knew what they did and the stadium didn't help. Now they're bankrupt and lost the naming rights. Good.
PsiNet was the "front" organization for the PsiCops. Something happened to them, forget exactly why they went on the "path of sorrows."

Cleveland had a new baseball park and basketball arena built on the same complex downtown about 10 years ago. Both the ballpark (Jacobs Field) and the arena (Gund Arena) were named after the men who owned the teams.

BTW, just what does this have to do with Sheridan and B5? :p

If we wanted to bring this back to B5, we could speculate on what the name of the B5 ballpark is.

Perhaps IPX Field -- "Exploring the past to build a better ball team."

If we wanted to bring this back to B5, we could speculate on what the name of the B5 ballpark is.

Perhaps IPX Field -- "Exploring the past to build a better ball team."

Only if they clone the 1980 Phillies World Series team. :D :LOL:

BTW, just what does this have to do with Sheridan and B5? :p
It started with Sheridan and oranges, and then the "orange bowl". The Orange Bowl is a defunct stadium in Miami, as well as an actual Bowl that gets played each year. And from that we digressed.

It started with Sheridan and oranges, and then the "orange bowl". The Orange Bowl is a defunct stadium in Miami, as well as an actual Bowl that gets played each year. And from that we digressed.

Thread drift raised to an art form. <g>

Jan

I think it was originally Santiago Stadium but was renamed Clarke Park. The second name has become unpopular for some reason...

In which case it's now almost certainly Sheridan Field, although "Kosh Memorial Field" has a nice ring to it. Did the Vorlon's studies of humans include baseball?

We know from JMS that despite "the Hour of Scampering", the Vorlons do not scamper well. I suspect they would also have difficulty with the infield fly rule.

Their ability to fly, would, however, give them an advantage in seizing long drives that would otherwise go into the stands. I think the Vorlons might be better at basketball.

Back