• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Paul Newman passes on

Cell

Regular
It's not a sad day because the man lived a long and fulfilling life, but it is a somber day. Legendary, and great, actor Paul Newman passed away today at the age of 83 from liver cancer. Not only was he in the greatest movie ever made, Road To Perdition, but he's more known for his philanthropic work than he ever will be for his acting, and that says a lot.

He was a fantastic actor and an amazing philanthropist. According to the Newman's Own website, his food products in the past 25 years have netted 250 million dollars for charity. One of my favorite roles of his was Brick in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". But, there are so many others. RIP Mr. Newman.

Yes, he was a very powerful actor. Reading some of what was on the net about him today reminded me of just how many diverse roles he has played over the years. Quite communicative, yes, and quite a delight. I was only vaguely aware of his charity works, I didn't know he was that much of a philanthropist.

(And sorry about starting the other thread when this one was here. I always look to the news thread for posting news, I forgot that threads of this type go elsewhere, instead.)

A man who will truly be missed, with so many outstanding roles roles, it's hard to pick out a favourite, but you can't go far wrong with "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid" or "Cool Hand Luke".

Cool Hand Luke is definitely my favorite. His last words were "What we have here is a failure to communicate," (quoting guard Strother Martin from earlier in the film) just before he is shot by the prison posse.

Is that where that line's from? I say that a lot, got it from someone -- but I've never seen Cool Hand Luke.

You really should see it. For one thing, Luke talks to God, just before he dies, and other times too...

Click the link, scroll down about half way, and there are two listings of the original quote, from the guard captain. Luke repeated it, addressing it to the posse, at the end.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt061512/quotes

The television station Turner Classic Movies is having a Paul Newman marathon starting Sunday morning probably 6am eastern time. It'll go on a bit more than one day, ending I think at 6am Monday eastern time.

They are showing a lot of his great films: Hud, Cool Hand Luke and on the other side, so to speak, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Sweet Bird of Youth. Also Exodus and many more, obviously. So if you get the station and are interested, it's early Saturday morning to early Sunday morning, and Hud is being shown on Friday too, I think.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back