• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (SPOILERS)

Cell

Regular
I thought this movie was perfect in every way except for one flaw, the ending with the twins was very obvious from the moment they revealed they were linked. The humor was spot on, the visuals were amazing, the action was excellent, the characters all interacted greatly, the messages the movie contained were well laid out and everything was resolved while still leaving open areas for a third one. Not the best movie of the year, that honor belongs to Wall.E, but second best so far.

It had the potential to be great.

It was pretty captivating for awhile. Then the acting/dialogue/story seemed to slip away - and was replaced by a scene-after-scene showcase of del Toro's hot-topic monster creations. Not that I didn't find it visually pleasing, I just thought that if you propose a story with any amount of depth in it, make sure to pay off with some depth.

Spoiler for :
Elaborate on character-building tangents and not some dumbass Melrose Place 'dont tell him im pregnant!' bullshit.

The action was decent, but rushed. The martial arts display(s) from the prince felt a bit forced, but that's ok. He's an elf I guess.

I'm only so harsh on this movie because I really enjoy the ideas presented. I just am having a hard time coming to terms with the idea that they're allowing extremely-common pacing and summer-blockbuster themes/sequences to take the easy way out (instead of making something rich and memorable.)

Though I thought it was more like a monsters, inc. catwalk show, I did LIKE the monsters. The guy with the wings/eyes was just breathtaking.

Spoiler for :
And I enjoyed the premise that hinted at another movie with Hellboy supposedly playing the role of bringer of the apocalypse. Interesting.

Last edited:
I didn't think the story slipped away at all, but was present throughout all the way to the end, cultivating in the actions of the main characters towards Tambor, can't think of his characters name, before the end credits.

Spoilers below, since I can't get the spoiler tags to work today for some reason,

As for the pregnancy, I have no problem with that as it also continued the main thread of the franchise. Hellboy wants to be human, and this is just one more thing bringing him closer to that goal.

The first movie was on FX recently and I recorded it with my DVR. After watching it, I decided that it was pretty good. Kinda strange, but not bad. I enjoyed it. Since I've now seen the first one, I might be willing to watch the second one in the future.

I love Chronos, The Devil's Backbone, and Pan's Labyrinth, by the same director. So, I just watched Hellboy on DVD, and will see the new one very soon.

Latest posts

Members online

Back