• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New fall TV lineups

Lyta

There is way more information over at The Futon Critic's site, but here is a quick summary from Brian Ford Sullivan:

Check the site for more details but here's the basics:

-- ABC has renewed both "The Practice" and "Dragnet" for next season. "The Practice" will move to Sundays at 10:00/9:00c and "Dragnet" to Saturdays at 10:00/9:00c.

-- "Life With Bonnie" and "The George Lopez Show" will move to Fridays as part of ABC's resurrection of TGIF.

-- Four new ABC comedies have been picked up: "Hope & Faith," "It's All Relative" (previously untitled Flett-Giordano & Ranberg project), "The Big House" (previously untitled Kevin Hart project) and its untitled project from Tom Hertz.

-- The WB has renewed "Angel" for next season and it will stay put at 9:00/8:00c on Wednesdays. The WB also has an option to pick up the series for a sixth season. "Smallville" will move to Wednesdays at 8:00/7:00c this fall as "Angel's" lead-in.

-- While other orders are expected shortly, so far the WB has greenlighted the new drama "Fearless" as well as the new comedy "Run of the House."

-- NBC has picked up three new comedies ("Whoopi," "The Tracy Morgan Show," "Coupling") and three new dramas ("Las Vegas," "The Lyon's Den," "Miss Match").

Brian Ford Sullivan
Editor-In-Chief
The Futon Critic
http://www.thefutoncritic.com

I am really looking forward to this show and it will be interesting to see how it compares to the British version which I am enjoying very much right now. :D

I've look at the new fall shows and have given them all a big fat meh :rolleyes: All the new shows I really enjoyed this season never even made it to 13 eps, so I've given up on new shows -- I won't be watching any until they've been renewed for the 2nd season.

However, I am delighted that Angel and Boomtown have renewed.

I was glad to see Boomtown renewed as well. Looks like Odyssey 5 on Showtime officially got the boot though...

I have only had time to skim the new show blurbs but the only one that caught my interest was the American version of Coupling. I just wonder if it will live up to the British version. ;)

There is also a new series on Showtime that I will probably check out called "Dead Like Me". I just have to see if it was worth delaying S2 of Jeremiah for. :rolleyes:

Looks like Odyssey 5 on Showtime officially got the boot though...

That's old news babe. :p Again from the futoncritic.com:

It was canceled canceled on december 24; the six remaining unaired episodes will be burned off some time this year

I have been hoping they will just show the last bit of the series on Showtime but I am giving up hope on that happening. Oh well, no big loss for me since I didn't like the show all that much anyway. :p

It looks like Enterprise is going to be competing with Smallville.
And it will go down in flames if it does. Whats all this talk about Enterprise being totally redone for Season 3?

I'm wondering about 24 Season 3. I'm trying to figure out how they could make a story bigger and better than Season 2. Its going to be tough...

I read about this earlier on cnn.com. I am so glad that The Practice will return for another season, and back to its original Sunday night time slot. The only shows I watch now every single week are The Practice and 24.

I read about this earlier on cnn.com. I am so glad that The Practice will return for another season, and back to its original Sunday night time slot. The only shows I watch now every single week are The Practice and 24.
I heard that Dillyan McDermott guy is leaving though and wont be in the next season...

It looks like Enterprise is going to be competing with Smallville.

Hmm, I haven't figured out what conflicts with what yet but that will be an interesting choice. Both shows aren't all that great really but at least Smallville has Clark that I can drool over. :D Chole bugs me and Lana is attractive but I wish she was less delicate and had more oomph. The stories are all right but when is the interesting stuff going to happen? Lex needs to go bad and soon. :devil:

Still, Enterprise is Trek and it isn't all -that- bad yet. Eh, but those running-around-in-underwear-and-rubbing-goopy-stuff-on-each-other episodes really bug me. I can't stand T'Pol and Trip and most of the other characters are not very interesting to me. :(

Oiy, what a dilemma! :LOL:

Yeah, that's kind of what I expected. The season finale was made as a possible series finale if the show didn't get picked back up. McDermott's character was shown leaving so I figured he wouldn't be back if they renewed it.

And it will go down in flames if it does.

I think you're right about that. I don't see how its going to survive head-to-head against Smallville.

Whats all this talk about Enterprise being totally redone for Season 3?

Spoilers
Apparently they're going to steal a page from DS9 and go into a war arc that's somehow tied into this idiotic temporal cold war thing. They're going to dig up some new species and supposedly future guy or his minions are going to tell this new species that Earth is going to destroy them in 200 years and so the new aliens launch a preemptive attack (200 years preemptive)... or some such nonsense... which strikes me as odd since the Romulan war is supposed to be going on right about this time, so why not just use them as the bad guys. Aww who cares, this show sucks.

I have only had time to skim the new show blurbs but the only one that caught my interest was the American version of Coupling. I just wonder if it will live up to the British version. ;)

I'm guessing that if you hadn't seen and liked the British version, the blurb would not have jumped out at you as a show that *had* to check out ahead of most others. I know that is true for me.

I'll check it out, but I'm in the mode of controlling my expectations. It is simply a matter of a real world application of the old math class rule about "regression toward the mean". That's the one that says that any instance in any sample space *tends* (but not "always is") to be closer to average for that sample space than the one before, particularly when the one before was an outlier (and let's face it, TV shows that are actually good are outliers compared to the sample space of all TV shows).

So much has to fall into place just right for a show to really turn out well, especially with comedy, in terms of casting chemistry, writing, etc. The thing about comedy is that even if you have a great cast and just used the scripts that were so successful for the British version, just the difference in rythm and cadence caused by the American accents *might* be enough for it to not be as funny as the original. However, if you start trying to rephrase the dialog for the American idoms etc. there is an even greater risk of screwing it up. (BTW: I wasn't bashing American accents. It works in both directions. Things that are very funny when done by Americans would run the same risk of a pacing change hurting them when restaged with English accents.)

FWIW: Someone posted at the BBC America site that they were in the studio audiance for the taping of the second pilot (the one after they re-cast half of the regulars). They said that, aside from a few cultural references (Crippen is not a recognizable name in the US) and idiomatic expressions, it was pretty much the script that we saw in the first ep of the original, "Flushed". Of course, since seasons are so much longer in the US they won't be able to just rework the old scipts for too long before they have to start coming up with stories of their own. That will be the real test of how good the US Coupling will be.

I don't watch Smallville, but I regularly enjoy Superbob's avatar at Kribu's Lounge. It's a nice picture of Kristen Kreuk. (or however she spells her last name.) It's dreamy indeed. :D

I'm guessing that if you hadn't seen and liked the British version, the blurb would not have jumped out at you as a show that *had* to check out ahead of most others. I know that is true for me.

You are probably right. ;)

FWIW: Someone posted at the BBC America site that they were in the studio audiance for the taping of the second pilot (the one after they re-cast half of the regulars). They said that, aside from a few cultural references (Crippen is not a recognizable name in the US) and idiomatic expressions, it was pretty much the script that we saw in the first ep of the original, "Flushed". Of course, since seasons are so much longer in the US they won't be able to just rework the old scipts for too long before they have to start coming up with stories of their own. That will be the real test of how good the US Coupling will be.

Ah, Crippen who? :p I am not all that excited if it is just going to be a cookie cutter version of the British one so I do hope they can pull it off. Comedy can be so tricky like you mentioned. Still, I will give Coupling on NBC a chance.

I am not all that excited if it is just going to be a cookie cutter version of the British one so I do hope they can pull it off.
Well, they can't do that for long, even if they want to. I can forgive them more easily for doing that with the pilot, where they are setting up the situation and relationships, than I could if they were doing the whole series that way. I'll probably wind up watching that first ep thinking of it in much the same way that I approach hearing a new singer do a song that I already know and like. Heck, there are a fair number of songs that I own more than one version of on CD. I can think of at least 4 completely different versions of Gershwin's Summertime off the top of my head (Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, Big Mama Thornton, and Janis Joplin) that are in my CD collection.

Comedy can be so tricky like you mentioned. Still, I will give Coupling on NBC a chance.
Oh, yeah. I'll definitely check it out. I'm just managing my own expectations so that I don't end up felling disappointed if it is pretty decent but not as good as I've come to expect from the original.

So, has anyone seen the promos for Coupling during NBC's must see Thurs? It's about the only time I watch NBC now and I must say that I am not impressed with the USA version of Coupling. It just seemed so flat to me.

I will still watch it but it will be very weird to see different actors playing out the same stories and episodes that were done in the British version.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back