• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Wars Episode III trailer on "The O.C."

Re: Star Wars Episode III trailer on \"The O.C.\"

I completely disagree, because the LOTR Trilogy did for me what the OT did. Nope, the PT just is not well done...face it.

The characters are not as well done, and not written in such as way that we give a shit about them. Nope, RMcD was right...this will be an emotionless pay-off with a lot of cool FX, that's it.

CE

I completely disagree, because the LOTR Trilogy did for me what the OT did. Nope, the PT just is not well done...face it.
Comparing Lord of the Rings to Star Wars is absurd. You've apparently missed my point. You watched the original trilogy as a child (or very young man). The reason your reality was suspended is because you were a child. Show the OT to an adult of your age today who's never seen it before, and they'll say it was "cool" or whatever, but the OT definitely were not movies of the same caliber as Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.

Nope, RMcD was right...this will be an emotionless pay-off with a lot of cool FX, that's it.
That's all the SW movies have ever been... at least as far as adults are concerned. But that's not a knock against them. Some stories are just too big to be told in a 2-3 hour time frame. Lucas's particular story deals with a multitude of characters whose interactions determine the course of history. (Sound familiar?) It would be impossible to devote the time needed to let us "get to know" each and every one of them on an emotional level within the time frame of a feature film (or even a series of feature films, given the amount of time it takes to make them).

Babylon 5, on the other hand, had a new episode every week (or at least as long as the networks weren't pre-empting it or showing reruns for 6 months at a time) in which to develop the characters we came to know and love. This went on every year, over the course of several months per year, for five years. (And even then, there are still some characters that leave us wanting to know more about them.)

Star Wars is (and always has been) supposed to be fun. It's supposed to appeal to all ages. It's been about "movie magic." In the OT, it was all about models and miniatures with state-of-the-art effects, with a decent story to boot. The new trilogy is no different, just with newer bells and whistles.

Babylon 5, on the other hand, had a new episode every week (or at least as long as the networks weren't pre-empting it or showing reruns for 6 months at a time) in which to develop the characters we came to know and love. This went on every year, over the course of several months per year, for five years. (And even then, there are still some characters that leave us wanting to know more about them.)

Yeah.. everybody I know says I'm crazy for claiming that television can be the most artistically successful visual entertainment medium, simply due to the lack of time constraints.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how long the thing is? RotJ was a little over two hours, and with the LotR movies getting longer and longer maybe GL has realized he can get it all in if he pads the length a bit.

It will be as long and as short as all the other "chapters". It's Star Wars, not LotR. With all the ground to be covered, i'm sure it will be quite a exhilarating ride :D

]The characters are not as well done, and not written in such as way that we give a shit about them. Nope, RMcD was right...this will be an emotionless pay-off with a lot of cool FX, that's it.

No, you face it. Go on ebay and buy the original unedited trilogy on DVD if it makes you happy. Your opinion is not a fact, wether you are an expert on filmmaking or not. How many cool FX summer flicks have been released in the last decade? Quite a few. If it was so emotionless and worthless, and George Lucas was so inept as you suggest, the Jurassic Park trilogy or any of the countless films with cool FXs would have had as much chance to struck a chord with me and many others as Lucas did.

Star Wars is (and always has been) supposed to be fun. It's supposed to appeal to all ages. It's been about "movie magic." In the OT, it was all about models and miniatures with state-of-the-art effects, with a decent story to boot. The new trilogy is no different, just with newer bells and whistles.

Exactly. I'm quite convinced that everything people are denouncing Lucas for being "excessive" at- digital doubles, 90% digital sets, digital characters- will be the norm very soon. And guess who will be remembered for being the pioneer? In the end everyone will benefit from his advancements.

I want action, the first two movies got enough exposition out of the way to set up what should be a great couple of hours.

The whole "you don't remember being a child" thing is still full of crap and adding young man doesn't change that. Episode four in particular followed myth construction that has grasped people of all ages for as long as humans have told stories. It's always been a BS excuse. People grow out of things they absolutely adored as children. Some even retain affection for something they would never watch again but adults still happily watch the original trilogy. It wasn't just for kids.

The whole "you don't remember being a child" thing is still full of crap and adding young man doesn't change that. Episode four in particular followed myth construction that has grasped people of all ages for as long as humans have told stories. It's always been a BS excuse. People grow out of things they absolutely adored as children. Some even retain affection for something they would never watch again but adults still happily watch the original trilogy. It wasn't just for kids.
You contradict yourself... saying its a BS excuse, and then saying people "grow out of things they adored as children." That's exactly my point: Watching the new trilogy at age 30 will affect you differently than watching it as an 8-year old. You might still appreciate or even love the movie, but not for the same reasons as you did when you were 8.

Lucas knows this, and has done a good job of balancing story with the "gee-whiz" factor, so that people of any age can enjoy it.

Comparing Lord of the Rings to Star Wars is absurd. You've apparently missed my point. You watched the original trilogy as a child (or very young man). The reason your reality was suspended is because you were a child. Show the OT to an adult of your age today who's never seen it before, and they'll say it was "cool" or whatever, but the OT definitely were not movies of the same caliber as Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.

I know this puts me in a minority of one, but although I enjoy the LOTR movies, I've never completely warmed to them. They were an extremely competent and inventive retelling of a fifty year old story, but one that I already knew very well. I loved the books as a kid, but as I've got older and have read more widely I've found (disappointingly) that it's lost much of its original weight and appeal. I'd go so far as to say that the story (as a whole) is of dubious literary merit, especially by the second half, where it slips into hero-worship and hollow triumphalism, though it evidently appeals to children. And many of the whimsical and eccentric touches that make the first book the only one I now enjoy rereading were the bits that were cut out of the first movie..

I wasn't born (just) when the original Star Wars came out, but I know that it invented a completely new genre, in the visual medium of cinema, and put things on the screen that nobody had ever even got as far as conceiving of imagining could exist. It showed us a functioning universe completely unlike our own, in which every towering vista seemed to exist on a godlike scale, but which we could believe in entirely because the characters were credible and real, (and archetypal in a Homeric, rather than a Tolkienistic, sense), and the actors seemed completely at ease with their surroundings. All three of the original trilogy pack an incredible emotional wallop as well, contrary to what somebody said, from the intensity of the trench run, to the revelation of Luke's parentage, to the final father-son duel.

And as far as I can make out, going by his subsequent record, the whole thing was a kind of fortuitous accident, and had very little to do with Lucas' innate talent as a filmmaker or director (even the first cut of A New Hope was described as an unmitigated disaster).

The new trilogy (so far) fails, because although the component pieces are all there, the parts don't hang together. The Phantom Menace did cram too much in. ROTJ ended by intercutting between a 3-way simultaneous battle, and got away with it. Therefore, by Lucas' logic of unconstrained expansion, TPM ends with a 4-way battle, and loses much due to the time this eats up. AOTC devotes the entire final reel to action with almost no dialogue, but doesn't earn the emotional investment necessary to do this. And the actors have no idea where they are or how to respond to their environs - they're clueless. It gets so bad that at times, when an actor utters something that doesn't advance the plot, that reveals something about their character's identity, or history, it actually knocks you back in your seat and makes you do a double take and wonder how it didn't get cut..

Anyway, this post is now too long. In summary: Star Wars the Original trilogy is still better, in my book, than Lord Of The Rings, the Peter Jackson version. I honestly believe that. The New Star Wars trilogy is soulless eye-candy. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it :cool:

The "you only think the OT is better than the PT because you saw it as a child" excuse is complete BS.

As I have mentioned before when this argument inevitably comes up, I have a perfect example of how much BS it is living with me - my two children, now aged 9 and 8.

They love the OT, and will happily sit and watch it time and again, especially RotJ ... the Ewoks being the most perfect example of kid-friendly and implausible plot devices in movie history.

On the other hand, they are bored silly by the PT (although my son does play the official EpI game quite regularly on his Grandad's Playstation). They wandered off to do something else halfway through TPM and (horror of horrors) actually fell asleep midway through AoTC.

Neither movie engaged them even slightly, and given the choice they would watch Titan AE every time. Not much of an endorsement in my book.

I'm 40 and I still love the OT, although it was already deteriorating with Return of the Jedi. The whole Jabba storyline held the audience hostage before you could get on with the film, and the acting took a real nose dive with Luke and Leia's treetop conversation being the absolute low point, until Jake Lloyd..

To paraphrase Zathras: Empire was the best for many reasons, and Star Wars was also the best... for many other reasons. The other films have tried to recapture the experience and have all fallen short.

Except on the LOTR Trilogy, RMcD, GH, and B5_Obssessed all agree with my viewpoint. The OT still rings with me today...other films today can and have rung emotionally true and I've been both moved and inspired by other films today like I was with the OT, thus proving it's not a childhood thing.

The PT leaves me empty and hollow. I don't care about these characters. That is GL's fault, as the writer and the director. And believe me...I wanted them to do for me what the OT did (and films still prove can be done for me).

I think a lot of what's wrong in most people's attempts to exhonorate Lucas is that they don't really know what a director is or does. Believe me, GL is not a good director. Even he has admitted as much in several interviews.

ANH was good because there were uncredited people who fixed the script and Lucas' ex-wife was actually the one responsible for the great editing. Lucas has no one to contradict him anymore...he does what he wants with no real problems to overcome and no one who will tell him he's way off base or that something sucks and he should change it.

These factors, along with his dubious talent as a writer/director (he is a great idea man, though), do not make good bedfellows for any film...and cause the flashy, pretty-to-look-at-but-no-character-or-substance films we've gotten with the PT.

No matter what you say, I don't carry these films with me. They are so much flash and pomp...but no circumstance.

The LOTR Trilogy, the OT, will be remembered and looked back upon as classics and have and will stand the test of time as art and history. Sadly, the PT will only diminish and fade away, only to be remembered as "those other SW movies he made later."

It's what touches the heart, sparks the imagination, and forever is carried with you...that's what makes the difference. And the PT just doesn't do any of that. It is an empty vessel with some pretty pictures painted on it....there is no heart within.

CE

You contradict yourself... saying its a BS excuse, and then saying people "grow out of things they adored as children." That's exactly my point: Watching the new trilogy at age 30 will affect you differently than watching it as an 8-year old. You might still appreciate or even love the movie, but not for the same reasons as you did when you were 8.

Lucas knows this, and has done a good job of balancing story with the "gee-whiz" factor, so that people of any age can enjoy it.

No I don't contradict myself in the least little bit. I love the original trilogy in the exact same way as when I originally saw them. My point is that I and many others have NOT grown out the the original Star Wars trilogy in the way we've outgrown other things the appealed more to us as children.

You in fact contradict yourself by saying the movies are balenced so people of all ages can enjoy them when earlier you claim people just don't remember the original trilogy being as kiddy targeted as they actually were.

It is a bull shit argument.

No I don't contradict myself in the least little bit. I love the original trilogy in the exact same way as when I originally saw them. My point is that I and many others have NOT grown out the the original Star Wars trilogy in the way we've outgrown other things the appealed more to us as children.
Fair enough. My wording was probably poorly chosen when I said:
Watching the new trilogy at age 30 will affect you differently than watching it as an 8-year old. You might still appreciate or even love the movie, but not for the same reasons as you did when you were 8.
"You" in this sense didn't mean Doctor Gonzo. Obviously there are people who feel the same way you do. I think I established that when I said yesterday:
I think the main problem some people today have with the new trilogy (and often movies in general) is that they're too old to detach from reality and get sucked into the movies like they did when they were kids
Note that I said "some people." Here's a better wording: You find an 8 year old and a 30 year old who have never seen any of the OT, and show it to them. The 8 year old is going to like it for different reasons than the 30 year old.

The impact of the OT on my own childhood is far from forgotten, you can rest assured.

It is a bull shit argument.
No, it just doesn't happen to apply to you.

Yeah, me to, I like it more each time I watch it.

I feel like a smoker, I think I need a patch or something. :)

Hey, aside from the cardboard acting of the two leads, and the ridiculous song at the end, "Titanic" was a solid movie!

With John Williams doing the music we can probably discard the possibility of a stupid song over the credits. Which means all we need fear is cardboard acting -- and hey, we've been getting that from Star Wars since Carrie Fisher discovered cocaine.

Hey, aside from the cardboard acting of the two leads, and the ridiculous song at the end, "Titanic" was a solid movie!

With John Williams doing the music we can probably discard the possibility of a stupid song over the credits.

I guess nobody remembers "Can You Read My Mind?" :devil:

I am indeed fortunate in that I don't.

But if Wiliams hasn't done it on any of the other SW movies, he won't do it on this one, either.

Here's a better wording: You find an 8 year old and a 30 year old who have never seen any of the OT, and show it to them. The 8 year old is going to like it for different reasons than the 30 year old.

What do you base this on, other than the idea supports your theory?

If it doesn't apply to me and others in similar situations than the theory falls apart. Maturing tastes are not why the new trilogy gets criticized. Do you know anyone who liked the original trilogy as a kid but finds them unbearably childish now?

Regardless of how you back this up your original theory was that Star Wars movies were always targeted at children exclusively, that Episodes I and II were constructed the same as IV, V, and VI but that maturing in viewers caused them to hate the new trilogy while liking the old based on loyal blindness.

C3PO was never one of my favorites but adults seeing the original movies for the first time don't have the movie ruined by his presence. Jar Jar Binks would fit right in inside any torture chamber. It's not just blindness towards something we liked as a child.

Back