• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

How petty can JMS be?

westtim

Beyond the rim
How petty can JMS be? this is a question that has been on my mind after having read his most recent posts regarding his Spiderman comic. Go to www.jmsnews.com and have a laugh. He is 50 years old right?

??? I clicked on link after link, and I never saw anything that was any different than typical JMS. Someone comes at him with an attack like you'd see in a Presidential race (With heavy mudslinging) and he cracks them down? Can you please direct me to the appropriate link so I can share your view on the situation.

Thanks

When I read the comment being replied to, that comment sounds kind of insulting to me (I have such a low opinion of drastically so many advertisements). If jms interpreted that comment similarly, I don't see his reply being petty but defusing.

You don't think this is petty?

Nope. When he says in the same thread:

<< From: jmsatb5@aol.com (jms at b5)
Subject: Re: Amazing Spider-Man #510 (SPOILER SPACE--BIG REVELATION)
To: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe
Date: 8/6/2004 6:27:07 AM

>Wish more people that
>straight forward. To bad today's sensibilities can't handle it as I
>am sure follow-up will show as people getting snippy for being treated
>the same way they where treating JMS.

It's the internet rule, which I learned a long time ago. The rule says it's
okay to say anything you want about anybody, to be as mean-spirited,
untruthful, wrong-headed, or accusative as you want, that's okay...but to
defend yourself, to say that the OTHER person is the one who's wrong...well,
that's bad form.

I've gotten used to it.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas) >>

I' agree with him 100%

Jan

No, I don't find that petty at all. The poster insulted him. Plus he also gave us another clue. He says he's successfully writing for TV. So we can now safely assume that he is writing something for TV. May be a series, a Mini series or TV movie. So, logically we can hope that too, may be a B5 project (The oddity is one of the things is wasn't has now come about as an adjunct to TMoS [paraphrased rather poorly, but there you go]) although it may not neccessarily be since he also said recently that he's been offered a TV project that he didn't create which he couldn't turn down (also paraphrased)

Yeah, JMS is absolutely right. There's a bunch of people out there who do exactly this. And it's horrible.

Yes, we who know better should rise above it - but it so damn irritating.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I showed my face in a newsgroup I hadn't been into for about 3 years (due to not actually having a PC in the interim), and nothing had changed... The same group of loudmouths were still there, doing exactly what they used to do.

Not talking about the show the newsgroup was formed for, at hardly any point. Instead using their time to dig up photographs (and lots of 'em) from the 'net with which to insult other people they didn't care for, who also use the newsgroup; using any excuse at all to launch personal attacks on people involved in the production they didn't like - or again, fellow newsgroup users (the word "tenuous" doesn't even cover it, in regard to how they shoe-horn their negative comments into discussions)...

After a week or so, seeing these people do nothing else but the above, I put it to them that they were behaving scarcely better than children. And of course, for doing that, I was branded a "troll" (in fact, few of them had the imagination to post more than that one word). Of course - I was obviously the one stirring up the trouble, having dared to disagree.

I might have deserved something of the sort if I'd called any of them the sort of things they reserve for Those Who Do Not Conform... Anyway, I just don't go there anymore. It takes the fun out of fandom when you're in amongst people who will dance on the graves of actors who have recently died. And I kid you not.

I think in this case JMS was just being sarcastic, and within boundaries. I don't think it's anything that bad.

Having said that, I think JMS can be petty. And he can get too involved with things. But I think that's his nature really, we know this.

This whole exchange amused me greatly. Really it was sarcasm. JMS is one of the few writers I know that directly engages with his fans, for better or worse.

You'll find many such occuirances of him arguing against fans on jmsnews's archives. And they are generally very funny.

I often think he uses it as a means of letting of steam whilst writing. Types a few paragraphs, posts a bit, annoys some trolls, you know what I mean...

He can be petty and a bit 'tit for tat' but then he works in Hollywwod. Nuff said.

I thought the whole thing was amusing as well, especially this part:

So let me see if I've got this straight...you can accept a universe inhabited by guys with spider powers, Norse gods, an ageless super soldier, a wasp woman, shape changers, a big green guy, and you don't think that there could be a plausible explanation for kids being of an unusual age.

Got it.

See, all you really had to do was explain it reasonably, and I'm there.

jms
Wait a second though...aren't YOU being just a bit petty for posting this thread westtim? :cool:

Yeah, JMS is absolutely right. There's a bunch of people out there who do exactly this. And it's horrible.

Yes, we who know better should rise above it - but it so damn irritating.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I showed my face in a newsgroup I hadn't been into for about 3 years (due to not actually having a PC in the interim), and nothing had changed... The same group of loudmouths were still there, doing exactly what they used to do.

Not talking about the show the newsgroup was formed for, at hardly any point. Instead using their time to dig up photographs (and lots of 'em) from the 'net with which to insult other people they didn't care for, who also use the newsgroup; using any excuse at all to launch personal attacks on people involved in the production they didn't like - or again, fellow newsgroup users (the word "tenuous" doesn't even cover it, in regard to how they shoe-horn their negative comments into discussions)...

After a week or so, seeing these people do nothing else but the above, I put it to them that they were behaving scarcely better than children. And of course, for doing that, I was branded a "troll" (in fact, few of them had the imagination to post more than that one word). Of course - I was obviously the one stirring up the trouble, having dared to disagree.

I might have deserved something of the sort if I'd called any of them the sort of things they reserve for Those Who Do Not Conform... Anyway, I just don't go there anymore. It takes the fun out of fandom when you're in amongst people who will dance on the graves of actors who have recently died. And I kid you not.

rec.arts.sf.tv is the one I avoid. It just seems to be a contest to see who can be the most sarcastic & insulting. And I haven't returned to the unmoderated B5 newsgroup in months. At least at the moderated one the sarcastic troublemakers have to stay out.

Tammy

When I first saw this forum I though it said, "How pretty can JMS be?" You can imagine my disappointment. I was expecting pictures of someone on a bare skin rug. :LOL:

I don't know...I think you would be a LOT more disappointed if you came here and did see pictures of JMS on a bear skin rug, clutching a rose in his teeth.

*shudder*

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back