B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Other TV-related forums > Non-B5 books, TV & films

Old October 11th 03, 09:57   #1
FlipperPA
First One

Letters From the Other Side (possible spoilers)

So what did everyone think? I'm kind of mixed. It moved slowly, and I thought the scenes between Jeremiah and his father felt a bit forced. Overall, the episode was good.

That new theme music for the credits was horrible! That reeks of network executives mucking about. It was worse than the music in Walkabout! ;-)

-Tim
FlipperPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th 03, 15:45   #2
PsionTen
First One

Re: Letters From the Other Side (possible spoilers

What I'd like to know is how Sean Astin got his hands on all that military gear without getting shot by those Valhalla Sector dudes... then again, if you're a messenger from God then I suppose anything is possible.
PsionTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th 03, 16:40   #3
Enlightened_GKar
Dead Account

Oh, please. Military gear is one of the few resources that is abundant. A messenger of God, however, is not so common...
Mr. Smith has a lot of potential to become a great character.

Check out Lee Chen's cool ninja kick.

As we all predicted, Meaghan has an integral role to play in the clash between Valhalla Sector and Thunder Mountain.

Where is Theo?

I like the new title sequence. You must admit, it is a large step up from last year's.

Markus's interrogator sounded very similar to the interrogator from "Intersections in Real Time." You think he gets frequent flyer miles with all those trips from Mars to Earth?

The final meeting between Jeremiah and Devon was forced. Any politician would have had Jeremiah killed at the initial torture session, when Devon was weakest and most likely to budge.
Prolonging Jeremiah's torture and worse, letting Devon continue to see him, is a tactical blunder that would not be made. Devon's heart would only gradually harden, and he would become able to accept his son's sacrifice.

Mr. Smith is so cool.
Enlightened_GKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th 03, 16:52   #4
Lyta

I haven't yet formed a solid opinion about it yet but I did like it. I need to watch it again today when I am fully awake before commenting further. I did like Astin and want to know more about his char.

However, I do like the new theme song and have ever since I first heard it in the pilot. Someone said the same thing on the mailing list (was it you?) and I feel a bit sorry for Tim since he reads that list. I am sure Franke got similar feedback to the B5 music too.

What was the music in Walkabout?
Lyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th 03, 18:22   #5
FlipperPA
First One

The B5 music in Walkabout I'm referring to was Franklin's R&B singer girlfriend.

The title sequence just made me think "Enterprise." For some reason, I don't like Sci-Fi shows with lyrics in the credit music. I'm glad the theme music for the rest of the show is the same as the first season in style, which I very much enjoyed. The credit music just seems much more "pop culture" and less "grandiose".

BTW, I didn't mean to come off sounding negative - I liked the episode and the new direction things seem to be heading. Also, we've really only seen half of the episode... which makes it hard to say what specfically I really like in the episode.

It wasn't me on the other list, by the way... and Astin's character is definitely a cool one with lots of potential. Lee Chen, Theo, and Kurdy have always been my favorite characters on the show. Its also interesting to see that while JMS wrote many strong female characters on B5, which I loved, that the Jeremiah characters I am enjoying most are strong minorities with their own "style." (I'm a white male, age 18-34, for the demographic record.)

Regards,

-Tim
FlipperPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th 03, 19:21   #6
Lyta

Ah, see I really liked that song in Walkabout. Then again, I remember her from Fame which was a show I quite enjoyed too.

You can't help but go with your gut reaction to the theme song and maybe it just isn't your style of music. So far, I have been enjoying the music of Jeremiah and have been looking forward to hearing this song as the title song for quite a while.

I like the fact that we are finally getting somewhere this season and I can just tell that it isn't going to be long before JMS hits us with a whammy. I think my favorite scences were: Jeremiah asks for forgiveness; toilet paper; Markus' interrogation and well, I am sure I will have more on the second viewing.
Lyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th 03, 02:52   #7
channe
First One

Not reading this thread until I see "Letters..."
channe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th 03, 15:32   #8
**DONOTDELETE**

The episode was quite.. interesting. It probably couldn't have been much more swiftier due to the huge amount of new people probably watching the series. I liked the possibility to compare the methods of the VS government to the current state of the US and how bad it might go if the route taken stays the same for a long time enough. V is the alphabet following U... but this is probably not about criticizing the US (gov.) so heavily, just a (lucky) coincidence - I think the focus of Jeremiah is in the people, not governments.

Anyway, despite some weaknesses already pointed out in other posts, I think this will be an interesting season. I must agree with the first poster though.. the new title music is terrible.. sounds like "put some all-appealing pop singer in it" (which has none of the seriousness and darkness I'd like). But it's a matter of taste
Old October 12th 03, 17:59   #9
travell3r
Dead Account

the new theme tune is awful.. cry me a river.. hope is there.. YACK! DISGUSTING!

what goes for the "messenger of god" ..i hope they come up with good explanation why he gets these messages cause if they don't it's bye bye jeremiah.. damn i hate it when they bring supreme being connection things to tv.. it was ok in b5 cause the supreme beings were like older races.. it's NOT ok in jeremiah.. cause the supreme being is like this manmade thingy called god..
travell3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th 03, 21:21   #10
channe
First One

Re: Letters From the Other Side (possible spoilers)

Mr. Smith grew up without reading a Bible, going to Sunday School, visiting a cathedral, or even doing ecumenical or interfaith dialogue. Who says that HIS God is OUR God?
channe is offline   Reply With Quote