B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 11th 07, 06:45   #11
KoshN

Re: TLT CGI; hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Not interested, really.

Jan
Likewise. B5 is about story. I can watch the likes of Midnight on the Firing Line and not be distracted by the CGI. I automatically take it into account and am forgiving about such things. Where the CGI bothers me is when they made (probable) mistakes and went against B5 canon (e.g. the Shadow Fighters in Crusade's Patterns of the Soul having slicer beams.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th 07, 10:10   #12
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Koshfan, I think they fixed Vader's lightsabre for the DVD edits, which had a lot of post special edition touch-ups.

As for B5, I may be tempted by newer CGI but still really like the original. It was the reason I first tuned in (look mum, spaceships!!!) but not the reason I kept watching !

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th 07, 10:17   #13
raw_bean
Commander

Can I just point out in case it's not clear that wanting B5 to look as good as it possibly can doesn't mean the eye candy is the *reason* I (as someone on the 'pro' side of this discussion) like it? I think it's safe to say that we *all* like it for the story, but I don't see anything wrong in wanting to see that story packaged in the prettiest way possible. Think of it like a book: obviously what really counts is the words, but it's not unusual or strange for someone to prefer to have a nicely dust-jacketed hard cover edition with new illustrations and corrections over a well-loved paperback, somewhat ravaged by time. To others it may not matter, certainly, but then some people I'm sure were happy with non-widescreen, fuzzy quality VHS tapes of B5 they may have recorded and saw no need to buy the DVD sets.

As for the 'historical value', if any, in the original CGI, since the episodes are all widely available on DVD already I don't see a problem with doing new versions for HD. The originals won't have been removed from existence revisionist-history style or anything.
raw_bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th 07, 17:11   #14
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw_bean View Post
Can I just point out in case it's not clear that wanting B5 to look as good as it possibly can doesn't mean the eye candy is the *reason* I (as someone on the 'pro' side of this discussion) like it? I think it's safe to say that we *all* like it for the story, but I don't see anything wrong in wanting to see that story packaged in the prettiest way possible.
No, nothing wrong with that. However, you have about as good a chance of that as I have of Crusade being restarted or redone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw_bean View Post
As for the 'historical value', if any, in the original CGI, since the episodes are all widely available on DVD already I don't see a problem with doing new versions for HD. The originals won't have been removed from existence revisionist-history style or anything.
True.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th 07, 17:28   #15
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Oh definitely nothing wrong with new sets being released with better effects (Matter of fact, may even increase the value of the original sets with the "classic effects" in time), just that I personally am fine with the CGI, and wouldn't want to reinvest $400+ to rebuy them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote