• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

JMS at SDCC - the news

This all sounds great :D

I picked up a copy of an issue of Rising Stars and it looked interesting so it'd be cool if that was made as well.

Not that Babylon 5 ever needed a huge budget to tell a good story, but I'm curious as to how much budget a straight to DVD release would get as compared to a TV series shown on network TV? Are all these stories going to take place on Babylon 5 itself? Is it too early to ask questions like this? :)

Re: Update from JMS on Lost Tales

An update from JMS:

To the other questions that have arisen: we're looking at 3 half-hour episodes/stories for the first DVD, with additional features and the like in the other half hour. Each story will be worked around a given established character, the specifics of which are still TBD contingent upon availabilities and other issues.

We have a budget, we're greenlit, we're going.

As for what prompted the interest now at WB...it's only recently that they've finally run through all 5 seasons, which for many years now has been a constant source of revenue, and I think they would love to have something to continue to with. The recent news re: Changeling probably didn't hurt, but the deal was actually being negotiated long before there *was* a feature film deal with Imagine. As I recall, we finalized the deal right around the time that the Imagine news was announced.

It was a rather extraordinary 24 hours.

I held off saying anything until I was cleared by WB to announce it as a go project. Ultimately, whether we shoot in Vancouver or elsewhere will be a function of the deal that gets made locally.

Cool stuff. One slight thing that's being niggling me is the aging of the actors. When would these stories going to be set? Are they 'inserts?' into the 5 year arc, or set afterwards.

Unknown at this point. However, I've seen a good many of the actors in the last year and a half and I really don't see any ravages time has left that a good makeup artist couldn't fix easily.

Jan

Yeah, they've been dying Bruce's hair for years now. :LOL:

Sadly, when I watched the DVD extras, I had mentioned that the only person who looked exactly the same was Richard Biggs. The worst, on the extras anyway, appeared to Claudia, who looked like she'd gone under the knife.

An update from JMS:

To the other questions that have arisen: we're looking at 3 half-hour episodes/stories for the first DVD, with additional features and the like in the other half hour. Each story will be worked around a given established character, the specifics of which are still TBD contingent upon availabilities and other issues.

We have a budget, we're greenlit, we're going.

As for what prompted the interest now at WB...it's only recently that they've finally run through all 5 seasons, which for many years now has been a constant source of revenue, and I think they would love to have something to continue to with. The recent news re: Changeling probably didn't hurt, but the deal was actually being negotiated long before there *was* a feature film deal with Imagine. As I recall, we finalized the deal right around the time that the Imagine news was announced.

It was a rather extraordinary 24 hours.

I held off saying anything until I was cleared by WB to announce it as a go project. Ultimately, whether we shoot in Vancouver or elsewhere will be a function of the deal that gets made locally.

JoeD, where did you get the above info.? I couldn't find it at JMSNews.com.

So we are looking at 3, half-hour long "Lost Tales" as this project? I guess that's not too bad. Its almost as long as a full-length TV episode (usually 42min without commercials). I was hoping for more of a full hour to 90min, but then again, thats not really a short-story, rather a regular length TV-movie script.

Sounds like they will be short and sweet. Hopefully they are enough to really get some interest from the fans so they sell OK.

So we are looking at 3, half-hour long "Lost Tales" as this project?

That's just the first DVD. The way it sounds, there are plans for more after that.

It's my guess that's where Joe got it.

Yeah, I checked the newsgroup first thing this morning, before I left for work, and copied that to various sites before heading out the door at 8 AM. I noticed over the weekend that JMSNews seemed to be a couple of days behind in updating his post. Sometimes they have server problems or the automated program that grabs the posts and archives them fails for other reasons and they need to do a little maintenance.

Regards,

Joe

An update from JMS:

Somewhat shorter than either of us expected, eh, Joe?

So, what do you think, will it be 3 FULL 30m eps, not 22m + ads = 30m eps? His mention of "the other half hour" makes it sound like he means the full 30m each. I wonder how they would handle that on TV, if it is picked up? Of course, it might not be a commercial station, but HBO, or something. But, if on commercial TV, I can't see him editing them down to 22m each, so probably all three in one two hour show? That would work.

Somewhat shorter than either of us expected, eh, Joe?

Yes, but I'm getting a clearer idea of what he's going for, now, and his use of the word "anthology" in this context is less puzzling.

First on time: I think he's talking about a full 30 minutes for each segment, probaby give or take a llittle depending on what feels right for each tale, because he's talking about it in terms of DVD capacity, not TV running time. A single-sided, single layer DVD has a capacity of about two hours, depending on various factors. So that would give him 90 minutes or so for the stories and a half hour (or the equivalent in disc space) for extras, commentaries, text features, etc. (Maybe he'll "publish" the annoated scripts for The Lost Tales on the DVDs for those who buy them and via Cafe Press for those who don't., for instance. Provided that WB pays an adequate royalty, of course.) I'm assuming SS/SL because they're cheaper to produce and have higher production yields and still leave room for silk-screened art, and that's going to be important from a "percieved value" standpoint. The success of TV on DVD may be taking some of the stigma away from "direct to video" in the minds of Hollywood, but if they're going to try to sell what is basically a TV movie for $10 or $11 bucks every few months they can't make it look cheap. (I'm guessing that even if they get a network deal WB will want to release the DVDs very soon after each movie airs, rather than waiting until months later. PBS and A&E have both pioneered the practice of releasing a show on DVD right after or even right before a segment airs, often including a longer cut or substantial extras on the DVD. The show and its promotion help sell the DVD, while DVD sales - in the case of pre-releases - create advanced word of mouth which can help ratings.)

90 minutes is just shy of the amount of actual program material in a typical "2 hour" TV movie. (Usually 92 to 94 mintues according to a couple of recent MoWs I just checked.) So these would work perfect well as Trilogy of Terror style anthology TV movies airing every few months in the manner of the Columbo telefilms. Networks don't like odd chunks of time like 1/2 hours or 90 minutes. They prefer two 1/2 hour comedies back-to-back in an hour block, a one hour drama or a two hour movie, so this form works well for both DVD and TV. it is also fexible in that JMS can easily stretch one segment to an hour with a half hour companion, or even devote the whole 90 minutes to a single story (or three related ones) if he comes up with a plot idea that needs more "breathing room".

All in all an interesting concept. Bravo JMS

Regards,

Joe

So, you agree with me, three full 30m eps, and a two hour slot, trilogy, if on commercial TV. The 2-4 minutes difference would be easy to deal with. If JMS knows there is a TV deal by the time he edits them, he can just make them a bit longer. If he doesn't know yet, he could have a bit of extra footage ready to put in. Direct to DVD is an interesting concept. It may well be necessary to keep the content down to 90m, plus extras, to make the finances work. More content, more expense, priceier disc, less sales.

Great news Jan. Not since Hawthorne, NJ has there been so much excitement in the B5 universe.

The 2-4 minutes difference would be easy to deal with.

If he follows the "classic" anthology format, the show will have a host to introduce the segments, which along with a main title sequence could eat up the time. Given JMS's reluctance to appear on camera, I'd suggest Ed Wasser. He's got that whole Rod Serling thing going. :)

Regards,

Joe

I'd suggest Ed Wasser. He's got that whole Rod Serling thing going. :)

Regards,

Joe

We could see him whole at the begining of the trilogy, then his head on a pike, over the end credits... :LOL:

I missed it because it was under the JMS Murder She Wrote Scripts? :rolleyes:
Sorry, Mac. As I said in my first post reporting everything, I had to hijack a thread because the stand-alone SDCC thread I'd started that morning hadn't shown up yet.

And yes, the archives do seem to be running slow. I've mentioned it to DougO and he's checking on that. It shouldn't be more than a 4-hour lag before JMS's posts show up in the archives.

Jan

I suppose my concern at this (founded mostly on being a Brit probably) is how well a half-hour format would fit with USTV. If there is a network interested in showing these stories, is 30 minutes an attractive proposition for them in a market where episodic TV dramas normally run to 42 mins (i.e. one hour with commercials) and movies up to 90 minutes (i.e. two hours with commercials).

Or ... might JMS be talking about these being only 21/22 minutes long to be made up to half an hour with commercials? Would seem odd to do that for something primarily aimed at straight-to-DVD, but is it likely to be bought for TV with a full 30 mnute running time?

The new project may be marketed as 1 x 90min unit, rather than 3 x 30min units, which would fit onto TV quite well (just like a TV movie).

If it is treated as a single unit, it may have story elements which weave in and out of the 3 individual stories (a la Sin City).

Back