• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

TMOS casting - a hersey

[
(b) 75% of the total labour cost - after deducting the cost of two persons whose nationality must be non-Commonwealth/EU/EEA/Association Agreement country, and one of whom must be an actor (and engaged in making the film in no other capacity) - must have been paid to citizens or ordinary residents of the Commonwealth, EU/EEA or a country with which the European Community has signed an Association Agreement*;

(Translation you are allowed 2 Americans; make all the other jobs British)

Not quite.

As I read that it says: first you deduct the cost of the two highest priced Americans off the top, then 75% of the remaining labor costs must be spent on non-Americans (well, people from either Commonwealth or EU countries; for practical purposes that means non-Americans, most of whom would be Brits).

Of course, I am not a tax attorney. :cool:

[quote
Not quite.

As I read that it says: first you deduct the cost of the two highest priced Americans off the top, then 75% of the remaining labor costs must be spent on non-Americans (well, people from either Commonwealth or EU countries; for practical purposes that means non-Americans, most of whom would be Brits).

Of course, I am not a tax attorney. :cool:

[/quote]

I agree. I don't see that it's an issue anyway. The actor salaries are all one ever hears about but there's huge payroll dollars involved in any project like this. Not to mention that there are a lot of things that might or might not be considered 'labor cost'. JMS's script fee? Any and all producers/exec producers? Heck, even Craft Services could be considered labor even though it's probably an outside contract.

Jan

Joe,

It surprised me your reaction regarding my comments, however let me try to explain:

First - I am completely convinced by you that the recasting is FOR REAL. I never said otherwise in my previous message

Second - I have no idea (I believe majority do not know either) who have the privilege to have direct contact with people related to TMoS project. I know you for a while but Jan, I had no idea.

Third - A forum is to interchange point of view, the only thing I thought it was correct was about the financial guys. That´s all. But since Jan has insider information, who I am to argue otherwise?

Fourth - Since I do not want to have unpleasant environment in this forum please let me know which topics should be avoided.

The financial people know perfectly well that a project like this probably can't succeed if it only appeals to the established fan base. Hence their desire to do anything that they perceive will increase the film's appeal to non-fans, including cast changes.

Well, Joe then, it is almost a statement that shows that perhaps we are wrong, however, do not forget about Star Trek feature films.

Regards,

Cadu
Zahadum

Second - I have no idea (I believe majority do not know either) who have the privilege to have direct contact with people related to TMoS project. I know you for a while but Jan, I had no idea.

<sob> I'm crushed!(Not!) I've only recently been posting here as 'Jan'. If you remember my posts at all, it might be as 'JBonetati'. Not that I expect you to. I've always been more active on JMSNews and the moderated newsgroup than here.

Fourth - Since I do not want to have unpleasant environment in this forum please let me know which topics should be avoided.

Please bear with us if we're getting testy. On every forum it seems that the longer this goes on, the more we're being pressed for more details that we simply don't have or we'd have passed them on.

Jan

First - I am completely convinced by you that the recasting is FOR REAL. I never said otherwise in my previous message

You asked Jan if she was sure of her facts, and then explained your question by saying that what she was saying made no sense to you and that surely the financial people would not act that way. Which part of this am I supposed to read as meaning, "But I believe what Jan is saying"?

Look, I probably should have made it clearer that my post was not only a reply to your particular post, but a comment on the tons of similar posts that have repeatedly appeared here and elsewhere. My apologies if I caused offense without meaning to.

While you may not "know" Jan, if you've been reading this board at least as far back as last November you would know that this effort has been going on for some time. Given that, I wish you had credited those making the effort with at least enough common sense to have thought of (and dealt with) so obvious an objection as the one you expressed.

And no, I didn't forget the Trek films. The first one was an outgrowth of an attempt to revive the TV series, with Shatner in the lead and other of the old regulars involved. When they converted that TV project directly into a theatrical film (in part to cash in on the success of Star Wars and its imitators, in part because Paramount was running into problems with its plan to launch a fourth TV network in 1979) the cast, many of the designs, costumes, props and even some of the scripts came along for the ride. Apples and oranges. If Paramount's feature film division had conceived of doing Trek seven or eight years after the series went out of production without the intervening attempt to revive the show for television, there is ever chance that they would have recast it, with a 30-something James T. Kirk, just as Gene R. originally envisioned the show.

Regards,

Joe

Hi Jan!

I can attest to the fact that Jan is a real person :) and JMS knows her by name! I met Jan at the NJ Comic Book Convention.

Even though I'm late, I have written letters to California and to England including personal information that identifies me (old and a woman) as "not your typical Sci Fi fan!" Just a drop in the bucket but hope it helps toward getting the original cast some recognition.

Does anyone have an idea of a possible release date?

Even though I'm late, I have written letters to California and to England including personal information that identifies me (old and a woman) as "not your typical Sci Fi fan!" Just a drop in the bucket but hope it helps toward getting the original cast some recognition.

Does anyone have an idea of a possible release date?

Thanks StarStuff! Every letter helps IMO, and if some are still coming in, that's fine.

As for a release date...heck we don't even trust the stuff that's come out saying that filming would begin in early April. After that starts, I'm sure knowledgeable folks will probably be able estimate a release date.

Jan

Filming is meant to start in April, and typically, something is in theatres within 12-18 months from beginning filming, so expect Mid 2006 to Early 2007, for it to hit American theatres, probably.

[quoteWell, I'm not sure I'd be prepared to go that far... ;)

[/quote]

<sob> :(

Twice today I'm reduced to tears here....Oh cruel, cruel forum...<sob>

Careful, Joe...we live in the same state! <g>

Jan
I think...therefor I am...I think. :p

<sob> I'm crushed!(Not!) I've only recently been posting here as 'Jan'. If you remember my posts at all, it might be as 'JBonetati'.

Gees, now I'm getting my Jans mixed up,

"Jan" ('JBonetati') on B5TV

vs.

"Jan"/"JanMSchroeder"/"janmschroeder" (janmschroeder) on rastb5m.

Which of you is on the War Council??? :confused:

Fees, now I'm getting my Jans mixed up,

vs.

<KoshVader> We are all Jan </KoshVader>

It's all me. I'm all of them. Bonetati was my married name but I only gradually changed back to Schroeder. I changed on RASTB5M probably in early 2003 but only changed here a few months ago.

So all of us are on the War Council. :LOL:

Jan

Fees, now I'm getting my Jans mixed up,

vs.

<KoshVader> We are all Jan </KoshVader>

It's all me. I'm all of them. Bonetati was my married name but I only gradually changed back to Schroeder. I changed on RASTB5M probably in early 2003 but only changed here a few months ago.

Now, wait just a minute. :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

<ul type="square">[*]Jan <janmschroeder@>: unscrolled rastb5m posts Saturday, November 27, 2004 10:46 PM~Friday, January 21, 2005 11:02 PM.
[*]janmschroeder@<janmschroeder@>: unscrolled rastb5m posts Saturday, January 01, 2005 11:17 AM~Sunday, January 23, 2005 10:04 AM
[*]JanMSchroeder <janmschroeder@>: unscrolled rastb5m posts Tuesday, January 25, 2005 8:29 AM~Tuesday, January 25, 2005 1:49 PM.
[/list]

KoshN: "Impudent upstart Ulkesh." :rolleyes: <Thwak!>

leo_top.jpg

leo_mid.jpg

Leonardo DiCaprio

Anybody thinking "Eddie Munster" ? :eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

<ul type="square">[*]Jan <janmschroeder@>: unscrolled rastb5m posts Saturday, November 27, 2004 10:46 PM~Friday, January 21, 2005 11:02 PM.
[*]janmschroeder@<janmschroeder@>: unscrolled rastb5m posts Saturday, January 01, 2005 11:17 AM~Sunday, January 23, 2005 10:04 AM
[*]JanMSchroeder <janmschroeder@>: unscrolled rastb5m posts Tuesday, January 25, 2005 8:29 AM~Tuesday, January 25, 2005 1:49 PM.
[/list]

Don't ask me but they're all me. I'm posting both via AOL and Google these days, maybe that's what's causing it?

KoshN: "Impudent upstart Ulkesh." :rolleyes: <Thwak!>

There is only order and obedience.

Jan

[/list]

Don't ask me but they're all me. I'm posting both via AOL and Google these days, maybe that's what's causing it?

Yes, that's probably it. When I post from Outlook Express it's Mac Breck <macthevorlon@> and from Google, it's macthevorlon@ <macthevorlon@>. However, I almost never post from Google.

Does anyone else think it's about high time we had somce kind of coded message from JMS? He's been schtum for nearly a month now, whilst not uncommon, I'm still on the edge of my seat! We seem to be stuck right between tick an tock - about twice a day I check JMSNews, hoping for some shred of hope; but lo, there is nothing!

I just hope we hear something soon, before the whole community goes insane. Or maybe I just need more fibre in my diet...

Personally, I already consider him to have issued us a coded message in his one statement on the issue: I wanna talk but can't.

Personally, I already consider him to have issued us a coded message in his one statement on the issue: I wanna talk but can't.

I mean another one! At least to give us a hint as to the relative success of our campaign. Unless he's as much in the dark as we are...

I mean another one! At least to give us a hint as to the relative success of our campaign. Unless he's as much in the dark as we are...

Hm, I think you're hoping for something that will never come, until it's all over. He said, "I'd like to comment but, can't", so I seriously doubt if he can't address the issue, he'll be able to address the results. I personally would rather wait, then to have JMS try to skate with getting past the information embargo, and really frell things for good and certain.

I think, we'll be more likely to be lucky enough that one of the War Council's contacts might whisper in their ear that things are going well, or not well, or the B5 Bucks were a phenomenal success, or something like that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back