• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 comic books and novels

I was wondering why the novels were never went through the whole series .I know they were pretty lousy with the exception of no.9 and 7 but,you never know they could have gotten better.The same question goes to the comics as well.What was is poor sales figures for both ?

How do you know the novels were lousy? Have you read them all, or tried to? I thought the first three were pretty good. I just tried to read #4, "Clark's Law", but to me it was to far out.

I liked #3 ("Blood Oath") a lot, actually. And while #2 ("Accusations"), #4 ("Clark's Law") and #6 ("Betrayals") each had their flaws, I didn't consider them lousy either... maybe my expectations were really low, as I'd seen so many people say those books sucked, but I found them a nice entertaining read.

The only "numbered" books I haven't read are #1, #5 and #7 - but I'm planning to get "The Shadow Within" now that it's being released again.

But anyway, I think I'd have read more of those novels, had there been more of them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did read all of them and thought the first six were terrible. Granted, I'd read a few of John Vorholt's <gasp> Star Trek novels, so I knew not to expect anything exciting from his efforts. The main problem with those books was the disregard for the continuity established in the show. In fact, they didn't even bother to tie it in until "The Shadow Within". And you have to admit, "The Touch of Your Shadow..." was just crap. The characters were so off, especially Kosh. I forget which book it was, but another one stated that Talia Winters was actually deaf and only knew what people were saying because she was a teep! Thank god they switched over to DelRey and got some better authors.

I have to admit I bought the DC comic book series, In Valen's Name, when it came out, never got around to reading it, and filed it away somewhere. Has anyone out there read it? Is it any good? Is it worth the interminable search through uncategorized comic boxes?

It's the story of what happened to Sinclair after he went back in time with Zathras in Babylon 4. If that makes you curious, go and find it.

I haven't read The Touch of your Shadow... didn't bother to get it because that's something people seem to agree on, that it's horrible. I found #8 (Personal Agendas) rather bad too, but since it did deal with G'Kar, I had to get it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But the rest - as I said, I didn't have high expectations to start with (I only got into the B5 books last year or so, thus I'd read a bunch of opinions before I even ordered them). I didn't expect canonicity or anything like that - I took them as standalone stories, sort of alternate universe in a way. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif And no, I didn't find them great literature but they were, to me, entertaining enough.

Oh, and it wasn't Talia who was deaf (in "Clark's Law"? Or was it "Betrayals"? One of those two, anyway... I think "Clark's Law"), it was Lyta. And yes, that made me roll eyes.

I bought in Valen's Name last summer and it was pretty good; I especially liked the ending. It's worth reading, so bring out the comics from storage and read them now! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dell #5 was awful. #1 wasn't bad (100 times better than #5). #7 and #9 were great. Of the original 9, I haven't read the rest, yet.

Okay Okay I will admit it ******shudders****** at the mention of this since when I do *at other forums*.I usually get pounced on but I just love Personal Agendas it was a little slow at the beginning but once I started reading I was hooked, Another three were okay was Accusations,Blood Oath and Voices .

Awww, man. Now I gotta start digging through all those comics. Couldn't you have lied and said it sucked? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back