• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Possible 2018 San Diego Comic Con Panel

Looney

Regular
Jan announced over on JMS News that she has submitted an application for a "25 Years of Babylon 5" (Title pending) discussion panel at this year's San Diego Comic Con.

http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80333

If she is approved she will likely not know until it is closer to the Con. I'm sure she will let us know as soon as she knows, but they could reject her submission or they might accept it and not tell her until just a few weeks out. So anyone who is planning to attend SDCC should get in touch with her and let her know. If you don't plan to attend you should still get in touch with her and show your support in whatever way you see fit. We should try to help her come up with ideas about what to include as well as ideas on how to spread the word so there will be lots of interest. I can't think of a bigger way we fans could put the Babylon 5 name out there again than making some news with a fan panel at SDCC.

1. If you are going to be at SDCC you need to let her know.
2. If you are not going to be there then try to spread the word or come up with ideas on how to spread the word.
3. If you are not going to be there then come up with some cool ideas you think should be included.
4. If you are not going to be there then come up with any idea of how to show your support, even if it is just wishing Jan good luck. Letting her know there are many people who are with her, even if it is just in spirit, is always important.

Please keep in mind that this may not happen. They could reject her application, but if they do accept her panel we should be ready to lend her a hand in any way we can.

Thanks, Looney!

To add to the above, I've also applied for a panel at WorldCon in San Jose in August.

Re: the SDCC panel, they only say that they'll let you know IF you're approved, no later than three weeks out. I checked back to when I had the #FreeBabylon5 panel in 2014 and they let me know on June 3 when the con was July 24-27. Though I think there was a moratorium before we could talk about it publicly.

I'm also working on some give-aways for the cons. I've already got some dog tags/keychains similar to the ones I did for #FB5 and I'm considering some of those stretchy wristbands. We'll see. I'll have to get them approved by the con, too.

Hmmmmm. . . . . Not really any comments?! Not even early well-wishes?! I know it is early, but I am a bit surprised. :wtf:

For me it's just sour grapes cause I'm on the other side of the planet. :p

Many people from the "other side of the planet" go to San Diego Comic Con every year. ;)

I may have mentioned this before, but I was at Space City Comic Con 2016 in Houston, TX. The Con organizer picked a theme of making it a Sons of Anarchy Anniversary Convention. I have never seen a minute of that show and was at the Con to see other people. I believe I've mentioned some of the horrors fans of Sons of Anarchy had to deal with and one of those horrors was how many of them came to the show from the "other side of the planet" only to end up extremely disappointed. I was amazed how many people were big enough fans of Sons of Anarchy that they spent a whole lot of money and came all the way from places like England, Sweden, Germany, and Australia just to be at that Con. I know because I heard them complaining, loudly, how much they spent and how far they came only to end up dealing with all the terrible stuff that happened at that Con. Having said this you should know that I'm pretty sure I've heard multiple times that Space City Comic Con's organizer was not very organized. San Diego Comic Con is a Well-Oiled Con Machine. Sure people cancel, but they don't show up in San Diego and then refuse to see fans until they are paid. SDCC knows what they are doing. ;)

SDCC *definitely* knows what they're doing! And they're not afraid to change as circumstances change. For instance, I noticed that they tried a new system for getting the really sought-after autographs at their sister con a month or so ago and I'm expecting them to institute it for SDCC. That way fans will have one less thing to line up for at 3:00 AM.

SDCC *definitely* knows what they're doing! And they're not afraid to change as circumstances change. For instance, I noticed that they tried a new system for getting the really sought-after autographs at their sister con a month or so ago and I'm expecting them to institute it for SDCC. That way fans will have one less thing to line up for at 3:00 AM.

What is this new system you speak of Jan? I really only go to Cons to meet people and get autographs, so I am always curious to hear the new methods for how things are being done.

What is this new system you speak of Jan? I really only go to Cons to meet people and get autographs, so I am always curious to hear the new methods for how things are being done.

With the more popular sigings they've always had people draw tickets and if the fan got a ticket marked a certain way they could get the autograph. Naturally, being SDCC, people would line up in the wee hours of the morning to try to just get in the line to draw the ticket (what can I say? SDCC can be hard work!) With the new system, it's an online lottery. So, same results, just more sleep (or at least a less agonizing choice about what line and when) and knowing ahead of time. The only real downside I see is that the lottery is held before the schedule comes out so if there's a conflict between the signing and a must-do panel...well, like I said, SDCC is hard work - and many choices. :)

WOW! Either way I have to be honest that really does not sound like fun. The only upside I see is that if you don't win you could tell yourself that is money you don't have to spend. LOL I hate waiting in lines, but being told you have to win a drawing to meet a celebrity and get an autograph just seems really wrong. I'll stick to celebs who usually don't have long lines and are glad to meet you. :LOL:

WOW! Either way I have to be honest that really does not sound like fun. The only upside I see is that if you don't win you could tell yourself that is money you don't have to spend. LOL I hate waiting in lines, but being told you have to win a drawing to meet a celebrity and get an autograph just seems really wrong. I'll stick to celebs who usually don't have long lines and are glad to meet you. :LOL:

I *think* most of those group signings are free but I'm not sure. Thing is, 230,000 of your closest friends are at SDCC and there's really no way to accommodate all the ones who'd like the really popular ones autographs. Of there's other cases, like Stan Lee who can/will only do a certain number for reasons of stamina.

And word on the street is that Stan Lee has been pushed well beyond his stamina for the sake of the cash, but that's off-topic.

(Hey everyone! It is Jan's birthday today so we should plan a surprise party.) :thumbsup:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAN!!!!! ;)

SO I was at a party Saturday night and I ran into an old boss. He has gotten into business with the host of the party. The host is a serious autograph hound. He has hundreds, if not thousands, of autographs and selfies with all manner of celebrity. He travels to New York and Los Angeles regularly and somehow tracks down celebrities in the wild. :LOL: Anyway, I find his lifestyle fascinating, but that isn't the point of this story. The point is that these two went into the collectible toy business together. My former boss was telling me that he was headed to a toy show early in the morning to try to make money at a booth. Then he told me how he dreamed of getting a booth at SDCC. I had to relay Jan's tale of woe. Of course, it is probably easier to get a booth as long as you can pay for it. I honestly can't imagine there is even much profit in those booths anymore, at least at SDCC. Sure there will be people who come just to shop, but what if they don't shop at your booth?! How will you make up the likely insane cost to have a booth? And is having a booth even possible? I mean it is next to impossible to get tickets so what are the odds there are open slots for booth rentals?!

If you have contact info, this is the page he'll want to watch. Chances are the forms for 2019 will be up shortly after this year's con.
https://www.comic-con.org/forms

I don't know what regular booths/tables usually go for but considering that SDCC has a *huge* collector attendance and the attendance is about 230K, that seems like good odds for making money.

If you have contact info, this is the page he'll want to watch. Chances are the forms for 2019 will be up shortly after this year's con.
https://www.comic-con.org/forms

I don't know what regular booths/tables usually go for but considering that SDCC has a *huge* collector attendance and the attendance is about 230K, that seems like good odds for making money.

Thanks for the info Jan. I will pass it along. I'm not going to lie this guy talks big about dreams like this, but I highly doubt he would ever follow through. Like I said I used to work for this him, so I know he is all talk. Having said that his new partner is not. If I tell the partner this information then my old boss might be forced to follow through and end up in San Diego. LOL :guffaw:

Very soon Jan will be on her way to San Diego. As our only known Babylon 5 representative I think we should all wish her the best of luck in having a good time while spreading the good word. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Looney. I'm leaving for San Diego Thursday evening. Note, however that the only thing even semi-related to B5 will be the Ellison Celebration. I'm not even planning on taking my B5 lanyard with me for this trip.

Thanks, Looney. I'm leaving for San Diego Thursday evening. Note, however that the only thing even semi-related to B5 will be the Ellison Celebration. I'm not even planning on taking my B5 lanyard with me for this trip.

SAY WHA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Have I ever seen you not wearing that lanyard?!?!?!?!?!?! Oh yeah, you didn't where it when we were painting the town in Houston :LOL:, but I certainly never saw you cross a convention threshold without it. Will they even let you in?! :guffaw:

So I suppose this means you won't be walking around holding up a poster that says,

"SDCC 2018 IS IGNORING THE BABYLON 5 25TH ANNIVERSARY!!!!!"

;) :LOL:

Hey maybe they'll say the 25TH Anniversary is next year because of Midnight on The Firing Line. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back