• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Greatest Moment

My favorite moment was in season one’s episode called Infection. It’s Sinclair’s speech to the ISN report whether they should give up Babylon 5 and concentrate on problems on earth.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
No. We have to stay here and there's a simple reason why. Ask ten different scientists about the environment, population control, genetics and you'll get ten different answers, but there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years or a thousand years or a million years, eventually our Sun will grow cold and go out. When that happens, it won't just take us. It'll take Marilyn Monroe and Lao-Tzu, Einstein, Morobuto, Buddy Holly, Aristophanes .. and all of this .. all of this was for nothing unless we go to the stars.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
smile.gif

so hello all, it is really hard to pick just one moment but a few of my favorites are when Marcus and Franklin go to mars and play “I spy” that scene just makes me laugh every time.
laugh.gif

[/QUOTE]

"And that's when I killed him, your honor."
(Franklin)
laugh.gif

e Bester has just left Michael in the train and Michael realizes what he has done – that “no” just carried so much emotion.

[/B][/QUOTE]

laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Purple Drazi:

I'm a newbie to this board
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, you're not kidding. That was your first post. Welcome.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Purple Drazi:
...it is really hard to pick just one moment but a few of my favorites are when Marcus and Franklin go to mars and play “I spy” that scene just makes me laugh every time.
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"And that's when I killed him, your honor."
(Franklin)
laugh.gif

Also the scene on Mars where Bester has just left Michael in the train and Michael realizes what he has done – that “no” just carried so much emotion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about when Sheridan grabs Lyta's hand on the Whitestar, and she realizes what the Shadows did to Kosh Naranek:

"They killed him. They tore him apart. Burn, you bastard."

Pretty intense.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Oh, Lord, oh Lord - my favorite moments in B5?

They've gotta be the speech moments - G'Kar's speeches always hit me where it counts.

Ivanova's Death Incarnate speech.

The moment where Sheridan and Delenn meet for the first time in "In The Beginning," where he screams "Isil'zha!"

I wonder if either of them ever remembered that, and remembered the other? Sheridan, obviously not, but Delenn could have recognized Sheridan...

Sheridan in "In The Beginning," when nobody has a better idea. "Rats..."

The Londo/G'Kar elevator scene, because it would be the TeeVee thing to do to make them work together to get out. But they didn't. Thanks, JMS.
smile.gif

Severed Dreams, of course, when Delenn shows up with the Minbari warcruisers. Anybody who doesn't like this moment is wierd.

Sheridan's capture in the bar on Mars, and his rescue ("Michael... I was gonna kick your.. butt for... something..."

Anybody ever notice that upon Sheridan's entrance, there are a significant amount of people who look at him, or watch him?

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

Far too many great moments to quote or even to remember, and many of them have already been mentioned above.

One of them has to do with my avatar. It's from No Surrender, No Retreat - the scene when Londo comes to G'Kar to ask for his support - those are some awesome moments, when Londo just keeps talking, getting more and more desperate, and G'Kar just won't give him what he wants...

There's so much emotion in that scene - so much anguish, and pain, and memories of everything that's happened before... wow. Great stuff.
laugh.gif

------------------
"Narns, Humans, Centauri... we all do what we do for the same reason: because it seems like a good idea at the time." - G'Kar, Mind War
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

ooh, ooh, i'd forgotten about that one!

good choice golddragon... not the best episode but an excellent speech... kinda encapsulates so many things about humans, earth, the need for space travel...

one of my fave moments? when i saw the very first episode ("Midnight on the Firing Line") i knew very little about the show except what i'd read in the odd magazine. the pilot ("The Gathering") wasn't shown in the UK til AFTER season one(?!)...

so i'm watching this brand new sci-fi show, no ideas about it at all, a bit wary about the very obvious CGI effects etc. then sinclair takes a squad of starfuries out to attack the raiders...

and at one point one pilot (sinclair?) is being chased by a raider. and unlike star wars or star trek or farscape or space above and beyond or ANY other sci-fi show i remember seeing the starfury is manouevred in a realistic (for space) fashion...

he swings the starfury about to face the raider whilst continuing on his previous path and blows the raider to pieces... we saw the small jets that litter the starfury do something sensible and realistic (or certainly far more realistic than any other show i know of)... and RIGHT AWAY i knew there was something special about this show...

dunno why i got it then but that just hooked me from the off... still get goosebumps when i see that scene - memories man, memories...

cheers,

sputnik

- and having been hooked i was well and truly landed a few weeks later with "And The Sky Full Of Stars"... when Knight One reels off his spiel about Sinclair you just know that something big is brewing...

------------------

Don't have to mention it because all of you did -- there are just so many great moments! "If you value your lives, be somewhere else." (!)

(I guess we're not using spoiler boxes here, because it would have to be contained in every post, so forgive me for not using them.)

No one's mentioned Kosh leaving his encounter suit to save Sheridan in "The Fall of Night." The first time we see what a Vorlon really looks like...gives me goosebumps every time. And the revelation at the end that Londo sees nothing.

Also, in the same episode I think, is Ivanova's closing monologue. We're then left with the ISN report of Keffer's footage of the Shadow vessel in hyperspace, with the promise that the EA is attempting to identify the unknown ship. Gives me goosebumps *every* time.

Sorry, just have to throw another one in there...a little moment from Season 5 (yes, season 5!), when Lochley confronts Lyta in the Zocolo, and Lyta is obviously not willing to be put under arrest, and Sheridan sneaks up behind her with a PPG to her head and says "You're not the only one who's been touched by Vorlons." Coolness factor went off the scale there.

I'm not going to say anymore because we're supposed to choose just one...but there are some great great moments in The Deconstruction of Falling Stars IMHO...

------------------
-jmb

One of my many favorites that nobody has yet mentioned:

From "The Coming of Shadows"...

Franklin in G'kar's quarters, relaying the message from the Centauri Emperor. "He wanted to say he's sorry."

"I... I had no idea." Andreas did a tremendous job portraying the fact that G'kar really didn't have any idea -- that this was probably the first time he had ever considered the concept that the entire universe might not insist upon being his enemy.

Of course, the feeling didn't even last out the episode, but in retrospect I think that this is the seed out of which G'kar's later reformation eventually grew. And thus, one of the hidden turning points of the series.

------------------
-- Marty

Sheridan telling Kosh, "Up yours!" That's just so cool!

Londo and G'Kar in the elevator.
"Can anyone hear me?!"
"I can"

"You are mad"
"And that is why we will win!"

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

bah, i can't believe no one mentioned my favorite moment yet!
laugh.gif
how about the following conversation when sheridan falls at za'ha'dum? after all, to me, b5 thematically was always about hope..

Lorien: "You cannot turn away from death simply because you're afraid of what might happen without you. That's not enough. You're not embracing life, you're fleeing death.. and so you're caught in between, unable to go forward or backward. Your friends need what you can be when you are no longer afraid, when you know who you are and why you are and what you want.. when you are no longer looking for reasons to live, but can simply be. You must let go. Surrender yourself to death. The death of flesh, the death of fear. Step into the abyss, and let go. It's easy to find something worth dying for. Do you have anything worth living for?"
Sheridan: "I can't see you anymore."
Lorien: "As it should be."
Sheridan: "What if I fall? How will I know you'll catch me?"
Lorien: "I caught you before."
Sheridan: "What if I die?"
Lorien: "I cannot create life, but I can breathe on the remaining embers. It may not work."
Sheridan: "But I can hope.."
Lorien: "Hope is all we have."

just an absolutely wonderful sequence..

------------------

[This message has been edited by Drobline (edited December 09, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMB1138:
No one's mentioned Kosh leaving his encounter suit to save Sheridan in "The Fall of Night." The first time we see what a Vorlon really looks like...gives me goosebumps every time. And the revelation at the end that Londo sees nothing.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One small nit: That's not where we see what Vorlons really look like. That's where we see them how they want us to see them.

We see what they really look like in Falling Toward Apotheosis.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.

Unfortunately I'm not as educated as the rest of my fellow B5 fans. So I'm not certain what the episode is called but involves Delenn and Sheridan spending an evening together to discover each others pleasure centres. Of course it involve all the usual Minbari rituals and witnesses. When all is said and done. Sheridan climbs into the lift and lennier is already inside. I had to laugh because the usually taciturn Lennier turns to Sheridan and looks positively upset and eventually says "Whoo hoo?"
Sheridan of course has the decency to look really embaressed. a small moment in a great series to be sure but one worth remembering none the less!
laugh.gif

------------------

Oh the idignity of it all, I have just been beeped. And I didn't see it coming
mad.gif

I hate it when that happens!

O.k, beep, beep, what was your favourite moment!
smile.gif

I stand between the candle and the beep!

------------------

The scene where Londo watches Narn being bombed came to mind when I read the topic. It might not be the "best" moment in the series but it was the scene that convinced me that B5 was not only good (which I'd realised already) but great. I've been a loyal fan of the series ever since.

Delenn riding to the rescue has already been mentioned. LOVE that scene.

Then when the Agamemnon is going to ram the weapons platform, the Apollo blasts the platform out of the way, and the Agamemnon surges through the fire. Makes me want to cheer
smile.gif

And at the other end of the spectrum in SiL, after Sheridan has gone, the shot of Delenn in bed, shown from above, when she curls herself around Sheridan's pillow. Makes me weep every time
frown.gif

------------------
Demon

[This message has been edited by Demon (edited December 10, 2001).]

I have waaaaaay too many to try to narrow it down to one or two.
shocked.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Lorien: Who are you?
RW: The salad man.
Lorien: Why are you here?
RW: To be the salad ambassador.
Lorien: What do you want?
RW: Everyone to know the joys of salad.
Lorien: Do you have anything worth living for?
RW: Yes, my salad bars.

[This message has been edited by RW7427 (edited December 10, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Oh the idignity of it all, I have just been beeped. And I didn't see it coming. I hate it when that happens! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, You didn't get beeped.

G'Kar got Beep Beeped. In the pilot.
It's another Great Moment.
shocked.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

I stand corrected
laugh.gif

I was also thinking of Stephen Kings "IT". A character in the book was constantly "beeped"!
To add to this list, B5 has had some of the best battle scenes I have ever seen, for better or for worse. I particularly like th idea of ships running around without forcefeilds. It puts in mind of the old days with battleships out on the ocean. Skill and valour
laugh.gif

------------------
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light. I come to take the place that has been prepared for me"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidB:
The last 5 minutes of Z'hz'dum.

BEAT THAT!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last 5 minutes of Sleeping in Light.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).

Back