• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Please don't burn me!

Kaleb

Regular
Please don\'t burn me!

I've been begining to think lately that perhaps in our continual hopes for more B5 we're flogging a rather decrepit beast. Babylon 5 was an incredible story, and it was made to run 5 seasons, which it did spectacularly.

With all our hopes of more B5 do we really want one more second class show, we know we'll never have the real B5 again. Any thoughts?

Re: Please don\'t burn me!

I want the Crusade spinoff, which was also supposed to run five years. As for more stories inside the arc of "Babylon 5," we could always have "The Telepath War." The show skipped over a lot between 2262 and 2281, and some of those stories could be told (e.g. screen adaptions of the trilogies, Dell #7, and Dell #9).

By Babylon 5 running five years, I think JMS meant that he didn't intend to show any more stories CENTERED around the station and the beings who are based there. That part is done (so we probably won't get to see much of the day-to-day operations of Lochley and the new ambassadors), but it doesn't mean that we couldn't touch base at the station every now and then like they did in Crusade (which was centered around the Excalibur).

The key is that it'd be nice to see more "Babylon 5 Universe" shows, but not "Babylon 5" Season 6 and beyond.

Re: Please don\'t burn me!

With all our hopes of more B5 do we really want one more second class show, we know we'll never have the real B5 again.
That a spinoff would not be "the real B5" does not mean it would necessarily have to be a second class show though, does it?

Crusade wasn't B5, but I liked those 13 episodes a lot (well, some more, some less) - I don't think Crusade would have been a second class show, had it been given the chance to develop.

I wouldn't want a direct continuation of B5... a sixth or seventh season or whatever. Yeah, that particular show is over, as grand as it was. But I wouldn't mind having more stories set in the same basic universe... who's to say that JMS couldn't give us another first class show set in that universe, if he set his mind to it and was given free reign?

Back