• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Legend of the Rangers question

Jms caught a lot of flack for the Thirdspace carbon dating on the newsgroup, and therefore had Bryce mention an age determination method more usefull on on other planets in River of Souls.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
How do you find out?

Carbon dating. Or whatever they use two hundred some odd years from now.

Are we getting close to story ideas? Eh, 'sok... JMS doesn't come here, we don't need to worry!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carbon dating wouldn't work on something so old. Geologists use URANIUM dating on samples millions of years of age.

------------------

I believe that scientists, or perhaps journalists, use the term "carbon dating" as a catch-all to refere to any dating method, even if it doesn't actually use carbon. Even if this isn't true, it could be in the Babylon 5 universe. So when someone says "carbon dating," they just mean that they used some scientific chemical dating method.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jomar:
How can you tell a city is a billion years old.
crazy.gif
If there is one it must have belonged to one of the First Ones. Maybe it was Lorien's home town.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lorien's home town....he he he I love it! That was very funny!

------------------
Long live the Salad Rangers! We live for the Salad Bar, we die for the Salad Bar.

How old could the oldest civilisations be?
This is my guess, in billions of years:

0 a rather large bang
1 first stars form (hydrogen & helium only, no planets)
5 first stars age and explode, dispersing heavier elements
7 second generation of stars (with planets)
9 life appears on some planets
10 First Ones start appearing
15 life on Earth starts to call itself names
...and fight over lines on maps

Consequently a city built by First Ones could easily be up to 5 billion years old.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited September 05, 2001).]

You know you're a part of a community of fans when you say something offhand, and everyone launches into detailed descriptions and arguments about it.

We are uberfanatics, and that's why I love being in this message board.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Yeah, channe, sometimes it is really fun, but other times it can be scary what a bunch of us here can come up with!!!
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Long live the Salad Rangers! We live for the Salad Bar, we die for the Salad Bar. RW, Anla'Salad'Shok'Na of the Salad Rangers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back