• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Whedon no longer to write "Wonder Woman"

5'5" isn't short per say. But for someone who is supposed to be an Amazon woman....its short.

I was just enjoying being really shallow for once in my life and fantasising that 5'5" is not a heck of a long way to bend down to kiss somebody if you are 6'4":eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I always thought of Eliza Dushku as being taller, but I guess that's because I always mentally pair her with Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Gellar's tiny.

Galahad, I loved Unbreakable, and yeah, I'd call that a comic-type movie of sorts. My favorite will always be The Crow (the few sequels sucked ass,) but the original gave me a serious girl-boner.....

Veering off-topic for a moment...

I think its funny you guys are comparing "The Incredibles" to other Superhero movies. The Incredibles was a cartoon meant to be funny, the movies you are comparing them too were meant to be dramatic. Apples and Oranges people.

I would actually argue otherwise. Yes, it was made by Pixar, who historically has done cartoon-oriented CGI flicks, but the Incredibles was different, IMHO. They brought Brad Bird on to direct for one, and frankly I don't know if it was that or other coincidental factors, but for me the movie rose above the standard (if still excellent) Pixar cartoon-like affair into a dramatic movie of its own right.

A warm-hearted movie, definitely with plenty of humorous moments (it *was* spoofing pretty much any superhero movie, comic and cartoon, after all), but still a dramatic movie nonetheless.

But then, maybe I just got lured into it, dunno.

Personally, my favorite moment was the whole launching the missiles at the plane deal. Between music, direction, writing and excellent rendering, I really did forget I was watching a CGI flick for a while.

(and to veer even farther off topic) I actually had a discussion with my brother about the Incredibles just the other day (he's teaching an animation course at a university). My argument was that animation was just another medium, and just like any other medium it can be used to tell whatever story you wish--comedy, drama, family, whathaveyou. Simply because animation has historically been used for family comedy/kid movies doesn't mean it can't be used for other stories as well (a concept that sci-fi fans should be quite familiar with, esp. B5 or Firefly fans...see? I brought it back on-topic!!)

OK, that's enough for now...

--mcn

For the record, i wasn't saying that The Incredibles wasn't in the same catagory as Batman Begins, Spiderman, or the rest simply because it was GCI. It wasn't in the same catagory because it was far heavier on humor and fun, than being a drama/action movie.

For the record, i wasn't saying that The Incredibles wasn't in the same catagory as Batman Begins, Spiderman, or the rest simply because it was GCI. It wasn't in the same catagory because it was far heavier on humor and fun, than being a drama/action movie.

Ah, well I did misread that, then. Although I'd still argue that it's the same league, just a different variant. For example, Batman Begins is all drama, versus Spiderman (particularly the first one) has some humourous moments to it, and the Incredibles is just moreso.

But then, we're quibbling over gray areas to begin with, so it's all up to interpretation, I guess :)

--mcn

I always saw the Incredibles as a kid version of the Fantastic Four... they all have the same powers.

I myself couldn't help but draw the parallels. :)

However, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more then a kids movie....
It was possibly the best movie I saw all that year and I'm 38. My wife and I absolutely loved it. I haven't had that much fun at a movie since.... well since the original Star Wars (A New Hope) in '79'. We were so pumped we wanted to go out to a restaurant after The Incredibles. We talked and talked for hours about the amazing sound and visual imagery effects. Laughed and laughed about funny scenes and lines,..... it was great. When you leave a movie like that it's like a event! The movie was reminiscent of Star Wars the original trilogy in that you left riding on this really HUGE emotional high and you just never wanted to come down. It still has that effect on me. :cool:

It really went way beyond animation the ocean wave effects alone were spectacular. The missile chasing the jet sequence was OFF THE SCALE
mind blowing. I'll never forget that scene as long as I live and that James Bond style music WOW!!! It was so intense in parts like the missile sequence that you almost forget it's animation. :eek:

INCREDIBLES RAVE OUT.
hah. ;)

I'm pretty sure they re-released it, so that may be what you were thinking of.

They certainly did in the UK. I was to young to watch it in '77, so my Dad took me to see a double bill with The Empires Strike Back in 1980. I remeber a lot about that experience. I was 6 years old and we had to queue round the corner (in the days before pre-booking). I can remember the apprehension and the fear that the doors would shut just before we got to them, and I remember the excitement as we got nearer those doors... my heartbeat quickening.

They showed a mini cartoon about a giant whale that sang opera and that got harpooned but continued to sing on a pink cloud in heaven... and then the film began and there was no looking back once I had started down that road.

Those days were so special to me, that when the Lord of the Rings Trilogy came out... I repaid my dad by paying for him to see those with me. I don't think he would have been into it prior to that but he really enjoyed it.... even if he nearly did miss the major bit in moriah because he needed the loo!

I think Lucy Lawless would be the obvious choice to play Wonder Woman. Probably TOO obvious.
Yeah. She's athletic enough and has the pefect presence for that kind of role, but my fear would be that too many people would see Xena instead of Diana, even without the leather and the chakram. ;)

Yeah. She's athletic enough and has the pefect presence for that kind of role, but my fear would be that too many people would see Xena instead of Diana, even without the leather and the chakram. ;)

HMMMMMMMMMMMM LondosHair has a good point. :)

Last edited:
Back