• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Farscape Returns

Woo! Good news! So happy.

Except: Peacekeeper Wars? I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

And I'll need to find some sort of "alternative" method of transmission because I don't have cable... hmm...

By the way, Scorpius was really great this season- both of them.

People on boards etc. pretty quickly picked up on Crichton's habit of calling the "neural clone" Harvey. Actually, that habit got picked up as soon as John mentioned it once in WGFA in S2, which means before John actually *retained* any memory of Harvey's existance. It helps distinguish between them. :cool:

Now keeping track of all of the "John Crichton"s that we have seen over the run of the series ..... that's a challange. :p

Now keeping track of all of the "John Crichton"s that we have seen over the run of the series ..... that's a challange.

The Crichton that nailed Aeryn and the Crichton that didn't nail Aeryn. Very easy to distinguish them in my world.

I was cracking up when I watched the interview with the producer when he said that they knew that Crichton would die when he started having that perfect relationship with Aeryn, 'cause that's exactly what I thought when it happened (and I also figured that if anyone would acquire full knowledge of wormholes it would be that one, too, though I guess the other one has it now as well).

I have two words that describe my thoughts when watching Farscape through that story....

Crichton Spitroast

Wicked news all round. From what i read at sci-fi wire, its seems the original cast are all involved as well. Lets hope it leads to more mini series or another full series.
:cool:

In true geek fashion I looked up Claudia Black on IMDB (because, like all hetero Farscape fans, I'm completely smitten with her). Unfortunately, the only other thing she did outside of Australia is a small role in Queen of the Damned, playing the role of Pandora.

Coincidentally, I'm reading that novel now, so the Pandora in the book now looks like Aeryn Sun in my mind, even though I never saw the film. I had no desire to see the movie because it looks so stupid (as opposed to Interview With the Vampire, which is entertaining), but I might watch it just for the hell of it.

My sister, who is often around to make smarmy comments about what I watch even though she doesn't watch, calls her Lara Croft. :LOL:

In true geek fashion...and I'm with Antony here...for us homos....Ben Browder (John Crichton)...YUM! And I've recently been watching the whole series again on DVD...in S3 now. My roommate and I have noticed one thing...there was a lot of gay innuendo in the show...a lot. I can't help but wonder if someone behind the scenes had certain leanings. :eek: :D

CE

I got the impression that Farscape was both liberal, and trying to amuse its female fans (which is the largest percentage).

Crichton rubbing Dargo in that one episode probably had women cackling with glee across the world. :D

I think it's a woman thing.

As to comments about Crichton and Aeryn... they make a lovely pair. But I've always said, as much as I find Aeryn hot (particularly when she's more in soft mode) the dark side wins. Ben Browder is just too exceptional.

But then Chiana is hot (and even hotter in person). And Sikozu... mmmmmm.

Farcaped ruled.

Browder is one of the few guys who I can see how chicks and homos find him attractive (most of the time I'm clueless).

The funny thing about Black ist that she has a lot of imperfections and isn't like some perfect beauty- big nose, a more athletic body than I normally like, etc. But the fact that she's the female lead in a show I like, wearing leather, violent, speaks with a great accent, and has that gorgeous, gorgeous hair more than makes up for it, and the "imperfections" are part of her charm. Real women are hot.

Chiana is OK, not particularly hot. The Jule chick is nice with her cleavage and all.

I got the impression that Farscape was both liberal, and trying to amuse its female fans (which is the largest percentage).

Crichton rubbing Dargo in that one episode probably had women cackling with glee across the world. :D

I think it's a woman thing.

There have been many instances of it throughout the show...I don't think it was a chick thing only. Although I will say that women get a kick out gay situations like the ones in Farscape, so I'm sure it didn't hurt anything. Yes, the show runners and all involved were and are liberal minded...and the show, itself, was very forward in it's thinking. It's part of what I love about it.

And while I may be gay...I can truly say...the women of Farscape are sexy and hot. But Ben....hmmmmm.....Ben.... :D

Sorry...mind sidetracked for a moment. :p Part of what makes Claudia so hot and work so well as a female lead, given that she's not what most people would call a bombshell...is simply put, Claudia is one hell of an actress.

I can't wait for the mini-series!

CE

GKE -- Queen of the Damned is nothing but pain, suffering, and wishing you'd never spent money on this queen of damned awful flicks.

And the few lines (and few shots!) of Claudia doesn't make up for it.

I really like Claudia Black. There was never a point in Farscape where she wasn't impressing me.

GKE -- Queen of the Damned is nothing but pain, suffering, and wishing you'd never spent money on this queen of damned awful flicks.

Yeah, it sure looked like it. The bit I saw involved Lestat's band performing in what looks like a caricature of an awful spoof of a bad 80s metal video, followed by what I presume was Akasha being all slimy all over him.

I also read that the movie actually combines the novel of the same name and the second vampire chronicle, The Vampire Lestat, which I can't imagine working given the impressive scope of both novels.

So the irony of the vampire stories is that the film of Interview impressed me but the novel, which I only read recently, did not, while the following two novels did impress me, but the movie obviously blows chunks.

Anyway, with that completely off-topic nonsense out of the way, here's some more Farscape pontification:

Thinking about my two favorite sci-fi shows (not including the original Star Trek, which is in its own class), Farscape and B5, it's funny how completely opposite they are. If B5 is the elegant, sophisticated adult theater drama, Farscape is the rebellious cartoon with guts and heart.

B5 works so well that I'm completely drawn in to their universe, as if I'm watching a documentary. When watching Farscape, I'm constantly conscious of watching a TV show- it's often cartoon-like. The greatest effect of B5 is that it can come off as believable, as real. Farscape is ultimately and always fantasy.
Farscape is ultimately much more flawed, but when Farscape fails it's still entertaining, but when B5 fails it ruins the experience- it breaks the bubble. By being in greater scope stylistically, it is smaller in scope dramatically.

B5 likes to define things by questions. If Farscape did that, its big question would be "Why the f*** not?" Why not make this character blue, make this one have a spinning liquid tube to prevent his brain from melting, make a puppet soothsayer baby with four eyes, dedicate half an episode to being a cartoon or acid trip, like the main character? well, damn kids, let's make two of em! It's like kids in a sci-fi candy store and it's great fun to watch. Oh, sure, the plots might not always make a heck of a lot of sense, the dialogue can be completely self-indulgence and needlessly referential (esp Crichton's), but it really doesn't matter because we think it would be cool anyway and anyone's welcome to come for the ride.

So really the only thing that holds this all together is indeed the performance. It's almost as if they're too good for this show in a way. The only thing "real" in this show is the emotion, and that is pretty damn hard for an actor to do in an environment surrounded by living spaceships and puppets.

Like that episode after Crichton died and Aeryn was mourning on this planet full of weirdos and her mother died. The whole episode was completely ridiculous- a dude with crab for half a face, the cauliflower baby mystic, extras that looked like that stupid scence from Queen of the Damned I mentioned above. What the hell? But as I was watching it I was completely engrossed because Claudia Black was freakin' awesome.

I'll be damned, but old Mighty just got me to add Farscape, season 2 to my Netflix list. (I joined Netflix last night.)

Maybe I stopped watching that series a little too soon. I saw most of season 2, I think. If I can get back into it, I'll add season 3 to my list as well. :)

In true geek fashion I looked up Claudia Black on IMDB (because, like all hetero Farscape fans, I'm completely smitten with her). Unfortunately, the only other thing she did outside of Australia is a small role in Queen of the Damned, playing the role of Pandora.

Coincidentally, I'm reading that novel now, so the Pandora in the book now looks like Aeryn Sun in my mind, even though I never saw the film. I had no desire to see the movie because it looks so stupid (as opposed to Interview With the Vampire, which is entertaining), but I might watch it just for the hell of it.

My sister, who is often around to make smarmy comments about what I watch even though she doesn't watch, calls her Lara Croft. :LOL:

If you're reading the book, GKE, save your money. The film is ok if you haven't read the book and sucks five month old sewage if you have. I saw it and the only explanation I have is Anne Rice just took the money and ran.

I have decribed the movie thusly: they took "Vampire Lestat" and "Queen of the Damned", chopped them up, threw them in a blender and hit "puree".

The result is what you would expect from such a process. :mad:

Unfortunately, the only other thing she did outside of Australia is a small role in Queen of the Damned, playing the role of Pandora.

You should check out the Vin Diesel sci-fi movie Pitch Black. Claudia shows up in that one. Yes, it's just a simple sci-fi/horror action story, but it's a pretty good one.

Does she have a significant role in Pitch Black? It would take a lot for me to watch a Vin Diesel.

Anyway, I have no plans to reall watch Queen of the Damned. :)

Welcome to the Netflix Cult, hyp. I hope you won't miss your social life.

Back