• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who - Season 3 [spoilers]

Am I the only one that didn't find it particularly scary or creepy? :confused:

Rather exciting and quite good, yeah... can't really find much "wrong" with this episode (not that I particularly want to), but overall... pretty much what I've found most of the rest of this season to be, i.e. "rather good". Which is way above my opinion of most of the previous season but a far cry from "awesome" too.

Maybe it's just a phase of life where most things seem okay, but very few actually manage to get any *really* enthusiastic response out of me. Meh.

Compared to the last three episodes and the promise of Captain Jack and Derek Jacobi next episode, this one didn't seem all that great. I am not one of those clamoring for Sally to be a companion, I'm more than happy with Martha. But I was effectively creeped out at a few moments, and I liked the episode. Put it this way, for a Doctor Lite episode, it beat the pants off of "Love and Monsters".

The sight of my 10 year old daughter peering out from behind a cushion during parts of this episode told me all I needes to know about how good/scary/creepy it was.

And I imagine the fact that Steven Moffatt only does one episode (or one two-parter) per season contributes to how good they are.

The sight of my 10 year old daughter peering out from behind a cushion during parts of this episode told me all I needes to know about how good/scary/creepy it was.

And I imagine the fact that Steven Moffatt only does one episode (or one two-parter) per season contributes to how good they are.

Possible, but on Coupling .. he wrote the entire seasons, 4 years in a row. There isn't a single episode that isn't brilliant.

Just wondering: :) Does anyone know if we're going to see Season 3 in the US..and when?

The SciFi Channel will begin showing season 3, starting with Runaway Bride on July 6th, at 8pm, EDT. At last!

Just did some more checking... Torchwood is supposed to begin on BBC America on Sept. 9th, and on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) it will be on at 9pm Fridays, starting in the fall.

Last edited:
My Brownies were particually creeped out by the episode. A couple said they had nightmares.

Good for Doctor Who :beer:

I had to do it. I've created the T shirt. :angel:

140081518v5_240x240_Front.jpg

http://www.cafepress.com/angelbox

and I'm not the only one.

OK, questions.

1. How has the Master regenerated, when he had used up all his regenerations and had been stealing bodies?

2. Was that the Doctor's watch that the Master had, or have all Timelords got one (like a graduation gift)?

3. Who put the Master into hiding, the Master or the Doctor? and why?

4. How did the Master get out of the Eye of Harmony in the Tardis?

5. Could this actually be an earlier incarnation of the Master before Roger Delgado's?

Observations;

1. Now we know how Jack got back and how far back he went.

2. Martha say's she knows the Master's voice, so she has heard Mr Saxon at least in her own time. Great use of time travel here as the Master obviously goes back to a point before Matha meets up with the Doctor.

3. That was an audio clip of Roger Delgado we heard wasn't it? This would make the first time some actual media from the old series has been used in the new series.

4. The anagram of Mister Saxon is wrong. It comes out as 'Master no. six' because, I was told, John Sim would be the sixth actor to play the Master. He is actually the seventh. Derek Jacobi is the sixth.

This season has been storming. I can't believe it's nearly over.

3. That was an audio clip of Roger Delgado we heard wasn't it? This would make the first time some actual media from the old series has been used in the new series.

It was, yes. I read elsewhere that it was taked off The Daemons, but I have not personally gone back to check :D

OK, questions.

1. How has the Master regenerated, when he had used up all his regenerations and had been stealing bodies?

Perhaps something happened when he fell into the Eye of Harmony in the movie (but is it considered canon? If not, then there is no need for an answer).

2. Was that the Doctor's watch that the Master had, or have all Timelords got one (like a graduation gift)?

I believe it was the Master's... maybe a standard bit of Timelord kit. Either way, nice touch with the foreshadowing in "Human Nature" & "The Family of Blood"

3. Who put the Master into hiding, the Master or the Doctor? and why?

My guess is the Master dunnit. The Doctor seemed pretty sure he was the Last of the Timelords. Perhaps the Timelords had a genetically sensitive "recall" device, that summoned anything with Timelord DNA back in case of planetary emergency (the Time War), and the Master knew that the only way he could avoid detection would be to change his DNA.... transporting himself to a place in time that the Timelords would never come looking. Now he knows the Time War is over and there is only the Doctor out there, he knows the need for hiding is over.

Wouldn't it be an ironic twist if Rose had somehow accidentally done this when she absorbed Tardis energy. In the original series, I believe that all Tardises are connected to a single black hole (the movie implied they each had their own though). Perhaps the Master's spirit escaped when a Tardis was opened, resulting in a Timelord techie being posessed. Although it is probably more likely that they aren't regarding the movie as canon.

5. Could this actually be an earlier incarnation of the Master before Roger Delgado's?

Doubtfdul given that they sampled Delgado for the watch.

Observations:

1. Now we know how Jack got back and how far back he went.

And perhaps this is going to be how the Doctor's predicament will be resolved (unless the Master's Tardis is lying about somewhere). Maybe he will fix Jack's device timeflow manipulator and send him (or possibly all three of them), to rescue the Tardis. Although I think he should ask Sally Sparrow to do it!:D She is more than capable!:cool: :cool: :D

2. Martha say's she knows the Master's voice, so she has heard Mr Saxon at least in her own time. Great use of time travel here as the Master obviously goes back to a point before Matha meets up with the Doctor.

Again useful to know as well because it gives the Doctor an idea of where and when to rescue the Tardis from.

4. The anagram of Mister Saxon is wrong. It comes out as 'Master no. six' because, I was told, John Sim would be the sixth actor to play the Master. He is actually the seventh. Derek Jacobi is the sixth.

Again could be a reference to the TV movie not being regarded canon. Although wasn't one actor supposed to be playing the same incarnation of the Master?

This season has been storming. I can't believe it's nearly over.

Indeed, sounds like it is going to go Holmes versus Moriarty for the finish.

Last edited:

My fanboy theory is that after all the Timelords died, there was spare 'regeneration energy' going around, kind of like the energy in JMS's Rising Stars. Or he stole another Timelords's at some point.

I suspect the Rose thing to, otherwise we would not have seen her open it in the flashback.

Still getting over how good it was...

Something in the deepest darkest hole in my mind seems to vaguely recall that the Time Lords allowed the Master some more regenerations as a reward for assisting them by saving the Doctor's life. Of course, I could be just making that up ... I stand to be corrected by those with a more reliable knowledge of the classic series.

That being the case, perhaps the 12 regenerations thing is a restriction placed by the TLs themselves to prevent a few careless/reckless Time Lords from hogging all the regen energy in the vortex, so with the TLs and Gallifrey having gone from time and space, both The Master and The Doctor are now free to regen as many times as they like.

That would also enable them to get around the fact that there are only 3 possible Doctors left.

Last edited:
Was that mentioned in The Five Doctors ? I think he was promised it if he helped out Borusa, but made a stab at immortality by trying to get to Rassilon's tomb...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back