• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

"Gathering" Different Versions

Bab5nutz

Regular
I was watching "In the Beginning" the other night, and after I had finished, I turned the disc over so that I could watch "The Gathering" As it turned out, I was tired, and couldn't really concentrate, so I stopped it after about 15 minutes.

What I did see was not "The Gathering" I remember watching in the 1990s - and I saw it several times. I probably still have it on VHS somewhere, although I no longer have a VCR. Londo's intro was different - I am sure that there was some line about "being in danger as never before" on the original.

I did some checking, and it seems that there are two versions - this is probably old news to you guys. There was the one done in the early 1990s - that is the one I remember seeing. And this "new" one which was re-edited around 1998.

Is possible to get hold of the original on DVD? And where?

Hopefully, someone who is certain will reply. To the best of my recollection, the original version was released on DVD somewhere, I think in Germany, but I'm not sure. I don't have it, but I wish I did.

The original version was released in Europe around 2002. I bought mine in the Netherlands.

It was sold in a carton case with G´Kar on the front. It is similar to the one linked below, but differs on details.

On my version the titles for "Babylon 5" and "The Gathering" are switched around (B5 above G'Kar, TG below G'Kar). Also, my copy does not say "Feature length pilot episode" below the B5 logo. Overall the cover of my copy is printed a bit darker with a slightly stronger red cast.

Also, my case has Dutch descriptions on the back. Can't tell what language the titles on the copy at Amazon below are since it only has a front view.

http://www.amazon.com/Babylon-5-Mic...1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1319477696&sr=1-6

Not sure if it is of any use, the barcode is:
SDN2 - 16396
7 321932 163964

The original version was released in Europe around 2002. I bought mine in the Netherlands.

It was sold in a carton case with G´Kar on the front. It is similar to the one linked below, but differs on details.

On my version the titles for "Babylon 5" and "The Gathering" are switched around (B5 above G'Kar, TG below G'Kar). Also, my copy does not say "Feature length pilot episode" below the B5 logo. Overall the cover of my copy is printed a bit darker with a slightly stronger red cast.

Also, my case has Dutch descriptions on the back. Can't tell what language the titles on the copy at Amazon below are since it only has a front view.

http://www.amazon.com/Babylon-5-Mic...1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1319477696&sr=1-6

Not sure if it is of any use, the barcode is:
SDN2 - 16396
7 321932 163964

Thank-you for the research.

I have a copy of "Bleak House" that has a synopsis in Dutch on the back, and Dutch subtitles. Luckily, the series itself is in English, or I wouldn't have a hope in hell of understanding it.

Well, it seems that someone besides myself is interested is interested in B5 in NZ - most people here haven't even heard of it. When it screened it was on a Saturday afternoon, when most Kiwis are either playing sport, at the malls, or working in the garden. On the plus side, as the show started airing here two years after it first aired in the USA, we saw five seasons in little more three years. And by the end of the fifth season, we were about six weeks behind the USA in getting the episodes.

Getting back to the original subject, there is an auction website here, Trade Me, on which you can buy and sell everything from socks to houses - and there are probably a few kitchen sinks thrown in there somewhere.
I've been keeping an eye on TM for any B5 books that might come through. Last last week, someone listed a whole lot of them, including the Psi-Corps Trilogy, the Technomage Trilogy, the Legions of Fire trilogy and a couple of the other books that are considered to be part of the B5 arc. I placed bids on several of them. Well, someone else is bidding on them, and I got outbid on some of them. Some of the books started off at around $1, and are now up to almost $10.

I have a couple of the books, but they are either ex-library copies, or are falling to bits. Back when they were first published, I couldn't afford to buy most of them, and didn't have the internet. So, I either waited until the local library cancelled them, and I'd grab them as they came through.

I really must see just which B5 books I do have. I have picked up a few from what you call thrift shops or bookfairs.

Amazon.de has the German release still available (and of course they ship internationally). It says Region 2 on the website; my copy says R2 and R5 on the back. And yes, that should be the original version.

I've gathered that a lot of region 4 people don't have trouble with region 2 DVDs, but I'm not sure how common multi-region players are in New Zealand.

Amazon.de has the German release still available (and of course they ship internationally). It says Region 2 on the website; my copy says R2 and R5 on the back. And yes, that should be the original version.

I've gathered that a lot of region 4 people don't have trouble with region 2 DVDs, but I'm not sure how common multi-region players are in New Zealand.

Thanks.

I have a number of region 2 DVDs - Amazon.uk has been offering free postage to NZ for most of this year, and I have acquired quite a number of DVDs, including "Crusade" "Babylon 5. Season 5" and "Legend of the Rangers"

How sure are you that the Amazon.de version is the original? The cover looks like the special edition (the later re-edit)

I wouldn't bet my head on it, and I have no time to rewatch now, but I have both versions, including the German version, and from what I remember when watching it (it was years ago), it was the original. I remember there was some talk about it at the time, too.

Also, my German is a bit rusty, but from what I can tell from one of the two-star reviews, it's complaining that it's the OLD version on the DVD. ("Leider befindet sich auf der DVD nur die ALTE Version des Pilotfilms, die deutlich schlechter ist als der geniale neue Schnitt von JMS himself (mit vielen neuen Szenen und einer neuen Musik von Christopher Franke).")

So unless WB has released the new version for Germany in the meantime - and it doesn't look from the product description that it has - it should be the old/original version.

I have the special edition on DVD and the original recorded from the TV broadcast but for completeness - am I mad - I have always wanted to get the original on DVD too.

Well I will take my credit card in my hand and order one - I will post back here with the good (or bad) news

I have been tossing up as to whether I get the R1 version of the R2 versions, as a reviewer at Amazon.uk said that there was an audio commentrary on the R1 version.

Anyone know anything about this?

I have been tossing up as to whether I get the R1 version of the R2 versions, as a reviewer at Amazon.uk said that there was an audio commentrary on the R1 version.

Anyone know anything about this?
As I recall (perhaps incorrectly?) The Region 1 Flip-Disc started out with the original and later pressings were produced with the New version. I believe my old Flip Disc had the original version, but, not all of them do. Unfortunately, when I got the Box Set, I foolishly got rid of my original version :( (It may have only been on my VHS TV Recording, but, I believe it was the Flip Disc)

I am not sure if this works outside of the United States, but the version of "The Gathering" on iTunes is the original.

OK German DVD arrived from Amazon.de today.

Have not watched it all but I can confirm that it is the original TV pilot not the special edition.

Happy me, now I have both versions on DVD and I can dump the old VHS recording from the TV.
:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Members online

Back