• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trek XI Set for Xmas 2008 release

The Enterprise crew met on the freakin' Enterprise. They all didn't even join at the same time- Spock was there before all of them with Pike and he was probably out of the academy for quite a while considering how long Vulcans live. As Recoil pointed out, Chekov joined the crew very young and even that wasn't until the second year into Kirk's command of the ship. Meanwhile, McCoy is significantly older than all of them. There's no logical reason for them to be all together unless they're all on separate ships or something that just happen to converge around some evil threat or something, but the comparison to Sheridan, G'Kar and Franklin conveniently meeting for a mission in In the Beginning has already been made.

This is going to suck.

OK so how does that work? So its supposed to take place with the crew of the Enterprise but while they were still at the Academy? Well when Kirk was in the Academy, Chekov was in diapers!! Hell he didn't even appear on the Enterprise until the second season I think, and he was a just-out-of-the-academy Ensign! Kirk was in his 30s at that time, and had been out of the academy for 10+ years.

From here....this makes about zero sense. I'm really getting confused.

Ditto.

Remind me, is this going to be an odd or even numbered Trek? (I know they stopped numbering them, but that doesn't stop us counting:D)

Kirk is in his mid-30s in season one, say 34 or 35. Checkov is a ensign, new to the Enterprise but not necessarily just out of the Academy in season 2. (An officer in the U.S. Navy can remain an ensign for several years before winning promotion to Lieutenant, Junior Grade.) A typical midshipman is 22 when he graduates and joins the fleet as an ensign, so Checkov would hardly be "in diapers" when Kirk was at the Academy. The age difference between them is 10 years or less.

So it is not all that implausible that a 22 year old Kirk, in his last year at the Academy, might encounter a 14 or 15 year old Checkov. Nothing in the promo says that Chekov is attending the Academy, it just says he's a character in the movie. Assuming that old Chekov and old Spock are reminiscing about Kirk it wouldn't be hard to work out a story where the teenaged Checkhov met, and perhaps even shared an adventure with, some starfleet cadets and was thus inspired to enroll in the Academy himself when the time came. (Nor would it be implausible that Kirk wouldn't recognize his new ensign as the gangly barely-a-teen he'd met once more than a decade earlier.)

We're not exactly into wrist-slitting territory yet, folks. ;) Also the casting news that they're looking for someone to play the captain of a starship strongly suggests that this is not going to be an "all Academy" movie. Presumably the group is going to go out on a training cruise much like that depicted in The Wrath of Khan, which would be a nice bit of continuity.

I still think the best thing for the franchise would be a total reboot a la Battlestar Galactica, as JMS suggested all those years ago, but this doesn't seem that horrible an alternative based on what's been revealed so far.

Regards,

Joe

Remind me, is this going to be an odd or even numbered Trek? (I know they stopped numbering them, but that doesn't stop us counting:D)

odd .. but the rule has officially been broken. With Nemesis being the most pants trek movie ever made, and being even, the rule lies shattered.

I'm actually more excited about the next big Trek game, Star Trek Online. Set about 20 years post TNG with a new Enterprise and new political environment. Details are scarce, but it seems to be like a World of Warcraft, where you and your guild control a ship!

http://www.startrekonline.com/

This image alone cheered me up.

http://www.startrekonline.com/gallery/viewimage.php?STOAD407.jpg

I'm totally hooked on World of Warcraft right now. That thing is crack for geeks.

Kirk is in his mid-30s in season one, say 34 or 35. Checkov is a ensign, new to the Enterprise but not necessarily just out of the Academy in season 2. (An officer in the U.S. Navy can remain an ensign for several years before winning promotion to Lieutenant, Junior Grade.) A typical midshipman is 22 when he graduates and joins the fleet as an ensign, so Checkov would hardly be "in diapers" when Kirk was at the Academy. The age difference between them is 10 years or less.

So it is not all that implausible that a 22 year old Kirk, in his last year at the Academy, might encounter a 14 or 15 year old Checkov. Nothing in the promo says that Chekov is attending the Academy, it just says he's a character in the movie. Assuming that old Chekov and old Spock are reminiscing about Kirk it wouldn't be hard to work out a story where the teenaged Checkhov met, and perhaps even shared an adventure with, some starfleet cadets and was thus inspired to enroll in the Academy himself when the time came. (Nor would it be implausible that Kirk wouldn't recognize his new ensign as the gangly barely-a-teen he'd met once more than a decade earlier.)

We're not exactly into wrist-slitting territory yet, folks. ;) Also the casting news that they're looking for someone to play the captain of a starship strongly suggests that this is not going to be an "all Academy" movie. Presumably the group is going to go out on a training cruise much like that depicted in The Wrath of Khan, which would be a nice bit of continuity.

I still think the best thing for the franchise would be a total reboot a la Battlestar Galactica, as JMS suggested all those years ago, but this doesn't seem that horrible an alternative based on what's been revealed so far.

Regards,

Joe

Joe, I agree, but, I don't think it could quite follow your scenario, 'cause the kid playing Chekov is already 18, will be 19 in March, so, unless it's gonna follow a number of years in young Chekov's life, I would think they'd want someone a bit younger to play Chekov. (I always thought Kirk was in his early 40s, but, IMDB says Shatner was 35 in 1966, so, looks like I had Kirk older than he was by about 5 years :D )

Checkov is a ensign, new to the Enterprise but not necessarily just out of the Academy in season 2.

They played up Chekov's youth in the show a lot- it was his defining characteristic in the show, as part of a deliberate attempt to connect with kids and teenagers. He was basically the Wesley Crusher of TOS. So I think we have to assume him as young as possible.

On the flip side, Kirk was rather young for a captain.

Even the mightiest Trek fan has to admit: they are pushing credibility beyond all reasonable limits.

Don't try to invent explanations why, guys. Face up to the fact that these people don't care about continuity or logic or being true to what they've developed before.

When Star Trek DS9 suddenly radically changed the Trill species (remember how the Trill in TNG could NOT beam anywhere or his host would die?) I might forgive that. The Trill were used minimally. Same with new make-up for the Klingons. Knock yourself out, I say. I don't really care if the Klingons look cooler, you still developed them as genuine Klingons.

This is just 'let's throw familiar names at them and hope the nostalgia will make us a few bucks' is now just so obvious I can't even pretend to myself they are trying to make a good movie.

So I see my reaction to that news is shared by many, around here.

This has been called a reboot of the Franchise, so, we can't get too crazy with "That's not canon". Yes, on the surface it is kinda worrisome, but, I willing to wait until we find out why there are so many inconsistencies before running the movie through with a stake. The only thing we know for sure that has been confirmed is Leonard Nimoy is Spock, Zachary Quinto is also Spock, Anton Yeltzin is Chechov, and they are planning on casting a Kirk, Scotty, Uhura, Bones, and Sulu, maybe a cameo for a Pike and trying to find a way to fit Shatner in. Anything else is rumor and theorizing at this point

Sindatur said:
This has been called a reboot of the Franchise, so, we can't get too crazy with "That's not canon"....

A reboot of the franchise the execs at Paramount hope, perhaps, but not a reboot of the story. If it was a true a reboot, it wouldn't involve any of the original actors playing their original roles.

When you reboot something don't you start over from scratch?

How many "reboots" have just recycled old characters?

Hey, I'd love it if I were pleasantly surprised. But I'm not paying 8 or 9 bucks until I hear many people saying "you know, it was good writing, a great story, it's a must-see".

Maybe I'll be showered in gold sometime, too. One never knows. ;)

A reboot of the franchise the execs at Paramount hope, perhaps, but not a reboot of the story. If it was a true a reboot, it wouldn't involve any of the original actors playing their original roles.

Eh, I think it could still be a "real" reboot, it we had the original Spock telling the story in flashbacks.

And, I do agree, it does seem scary at the moment, but, I'm gonna wait to grab the torches until we have some actual information to be peeved about

Sindatur said:
Eh, I think it could still be a "real" reboot, it we had the original Spock telling the story in flashbacks.

I don't consider having an original actor playing the part as making it capable of being a real and true reboot. They could change and endless array of canonized background for all the characters still, but that would just be a disregarding of canon, not a reboot.

So, now we seem to have Russell Crowe as a Villian (A couple of days ago, it was an almost certainty, just waiting for the "T"s to be crossed and "I"s to be dotted.

Russell Crowe as a Villian, both Chekov and Kirk, An older and a Younger Spock, this is looking less and less like a story centered entirely in the Academy

Back