• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New Prequel Trek Movie idea has been submitted??

Knives

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sindatur

Regular
From Scifi Wire

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=32194

New Trek Prequel Coming?

Writer Erik Jendresen (Band of Brothers) told Dreamwatch magazine that he's turned in a draft for a proposed new Star Trek prequel movie to Paramount, according to a report on the TrekWeb site.

"I'm excited about this project, and I think the chances of it getting made are good," Jendresen told the magazine. "It all depends on what the studio thinks, and Paramount has been through significant changes lately. But the people who are making the decisions are pretty responsible folk with a fine body of work behind them. So we'll see. Right now, I'm optimistic."

Jendresen said the film is tentatively titled Star Trek: The Beginning, produced by Rick Berman, Kerry McCluggage and Jordan Kerner. Berman has said the film won't use any existing Trek characters and will be a prequel to the original series

Jendresen elaborates: "This would take place just a couple of years after the end of the events in Enterprirse, but well before the original series, and it would look at the inciting incident that started everything. The story is big and epic, and it isn't as antiseptic as the television stories had to be."

Jendresen added that the movie won't be centered on a ship. "We're looking at a very small group of men and women, particularly focusing on one character," he said. "There are a couple of ships, including a principal ship, but this is not a traditional captain-and-crew-of-a-starship story in the least."

I think, even if it's a magnificent idea, the franchise should sit idle for at least a year or so, to re-vitalize interest in the franchise. Lots of folks still have a bad taste for the franchise

This has been about for a bit now, and was planned before Enterprise's demise.

I think it's a good idea. Small scale, just to keep the Star Trek flame alive a bit. And it's not gonna happen for a couple of years anyway.

I think its a good idea, but that doesn't nessisarily mean it will be any good. Enterprise was a great premise, but became lost in mediocrity pretty quickly.

I think, even if it's a magnificent idea, the franchise should sit idle for at least a year or so, to re-vitalize interest in the franchise. Lots of folks still have a bad taste for the franchise.

Well, considering its still in the development phase, it would be a while before it comes out, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Re: New Prequel Trek Movie idea has been submitted

Highly depends on who does it. Voyager was a great idea - one can see what became of that idea.

THough in general, my interest in Star Trek Prequels has its limits, just because the timeline of the genre has become so misty in so many places that making it plausible wouldn't be very easy. But once again, depends entirely who's in charge.

If Berman's involved it's a bad idea. Prequels in this series just screw things up.

Oh and Voyager wasn't such a great idea. You knew they could never reach home until the last episode.

If Berman's involved it's a bad idea.

Yeah, I wasn't fond of seeing that above.

You knew they could never reach home until the last episode.

Oh, I think they could have gotten home earlier than the last episode if the creators were willing. I could see something very interesting possible in Voyager getting back to Earth before the end of the series and unknowingly being followed by an enemy fleet of some sort that they'd have to spend quite some time dealing with.

I could see something very interesting possible in Voyager getting back to Earth before the end of the series and unknowingly being followed by an enemy fleet of some sort that they'd have to spend quite some time dealing with.

In other words, something very like DS9's Dominion War?

I think that Trek should be looking forward, not grubbing about in Prequels. Just MHO, natch. :D

VB

Prequel ideas are only going to mess with the heads of continuity lovin hardcore fans. I agree, let it rest for five years and then come back with a new series set 80 - 100 years after TNG era. As Trek did in the 60's, and TNG in the 80's+ 90's, it should address technological and social issues relevent to today's society through sci-fi.

I'd like to see it take more of a lead from contemporary sci-fi authors for ideas. Basically, they should read some Ian M Banks Culture novels for possible leads into the directions that society and technology may move into.

And for fraks sake, LEAVE TIME TRAVEL ALONE!!!

Exploring beyond the galaxy, now that would would be something...

As Trek did in the 60's, and TNG in the 80's+ 90's, it should address technological and social issues relevent to today's society through sci-fi.

Yes!

I'd like to see it take more of a lead from contemporary sci-fi authors for ideas. Basically, they should read some Ian M Banks Culture novels for possible leads into the directions that society and technology may move into.

Hell yes!

And for fraks sake, LEAVE TIME TRAVEL ALONE!!!

Exploring beyond the galaxy, now that would would be something...

Amen!

VB

PS - well, a little time travel never hurt anyone... ;)

Another Trek movie produced by Berman? I'd rather watch Catwoman!

Prequel ideas are only going to mess with the heads of continuity lovin hardcore fans.

Well, than those people should get over themselves. Continuity- big deal (well, within reason).

"Going forward" should mean style, themes, stories, not literally going forward in time. Sci-fi fans should be able to think outside that box.

My problem with Enterprise (early Enterprise, never got to see Coto's Enterprise) was that it was so trying to milk the aspect of "ooh, look, see these nice points in continuity" while completely neglecting the existing continuity. But it entirely depends on who does it how, yeah. But to me it seemed like Enterprise the concept of Enterprise was "look! cool! this is a prequel!!" - which made me have higher expectations towards continuity than I usually would have had.

That and the whole point of having a prequel seemed to vanish more and more everytime we encountered some race of aliens with whom we saw the first contact in TNG .. and by setting up the concept that this Enterprise should be smaller, slower and weaker than all others we've seen till .. and then STILL have the ship getting everywhere it wants to within minutes, having "raise the shields" replaced by "polarize the shield plating", having phasers replaced with phase pistols .. I had really hoped for a bit more of an Astronauty feel if they were going to make a prequel, not standard trek with new technobabble.

Not interested in another Berman prequel. We saw how the last one turned out. No need to furthur bury the franchise. In fact, no more prequels, PERIOD... they just can't be done when you have a series that's spanned such a great length of time.

I wish they'd stop trying to "re-imagine" Star Trek away from the "captain, ship, and crew" idea. DS9 was the only success they had at doing such a thing, and even that show's story floundered for a few years before the Dominion arc.

The next Star Trek will probably have to reflect the War on Terror. Possibly based on a desert planet.

Star Trek already did the war on terror with the Suliban (lead by the Kabal, hint hint) and the Xindi.

We already had some reflection on the War on Terror in the last season of Enterprise, but I imagine there's plenty room for more.

Back